Author Topic: Radiation Dose Chart  (Read 2291 times)

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Radiation Dose Chart
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
This is very cool.  From XKCD (the people that do the weird techy comics); hat tip Transterrestrial Musings.

http://xkcd.com/radiation/
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Radiation Dose Chart
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Whoa!  That's a busy chart.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure...but is spending a whole year on the Colorado Plateau (I'm guessing, what, the radiation is due to elevation and solar exposure?) equal the annual maximum allowable for US radiation workers?

Either way, the latter, numerically and pictorially seems an impressive amount of radiation.  Really puts the 3 Mile Island & Fukashima events in perspective though.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
Whoa!  That's a busy chart.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know for sure...but is spending a whole year on the Colorado Plateau (I'm guessing, what, the radiation is due to elevation and solar exposure?) equal the annual maximum allowable for US radiation workers?

If my math is right, the average daily background dose (10 µSv) + additional amount on Colorado Plateau (1.2 µSv) = 11.2 µSv.
11.2 x 365 = 4088 µSv, or 4 mSv, which is well below the 50 mSv annual limit for radiation workers.

I think the additional radiation is because of the high altitude.  The thinner atmosphere blocks less of the incoming solar radiation.  Astronauts need plenty of radiation protection because space is filled with it.

And now that I think of it, it would be nice if the chart included such things as spending a year on the ISS or walking on the moon.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:26:25 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Darby

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
Actually from looking at that chart, I wouldn't want to be a US radiation worker. I realize that they don't get that much radiation in an average year, that it's the maximum limit but still it's a lot. If they got the maximum annual dose over two years then they have received the minimum amount linked to increased risk of cancer. Can they even qualify for medical insurance? I'm curious to know what the average amount of radiation a person receives in a lifetime is. I'm sure it's way up there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:19:39 PM by Darby »
Let freedom ring.