Author Topic: Auroras  (Read 647 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Auroras
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Auroras
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »

See the aurora, ha, I watch the rain evaporate before it hit the ground.

Speaking of rain, those those big CMEs help bring it on, maybe the cool
weather also.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
I missed them the other night. But I've seen them a few times in my life when they were so spectacular it was literally breathtaking.

Once, we were camping at a remote spot on the edge of the BWCA between Ely and Finland, at Kawishiwi River - perfectly clear night, no moon, and no light but campfire glow or lanterns for 20-30 miles in any direction. The Northern Lights were cone shaped, from the horizon in 360ยบ to a small zenith "hole" straight above our heads. Inside this hole was nothing but stars, but the aurora radiated out from it in all directions, and the COLORS...! It was constantly and violently shimmering, red, purple, green, blue, pink, and with the occasional traditional pale silver thrown in to the mix to remind us how much more spectacular this was than what we were used to seeing.

The timber wolves were periodically howling in the distance, and at times, it was almost like a chorus for the lights. It seemed like there were a few moments when the howling would peak just as the lights peaked. No scientific observation there, just something we noted.

We laid on our backs watching this for over 2 hours, and during that time, there were ebbs and flows. We'd say, "Looks like it might be winding down..." only to have them serge anew, time and time again. At one point, I actually felt like I had motion sickness, and had to look away. But as soon as the feeling was gone, I was right back, gazing in awe again.

Finally it ebbed to the point where it was just silver shimmers in the Northern sky, and we turned in for the night.

I'll never forget it, unless God sees fit to take my memories.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Nice IDP.   ::thumbsup::

Didn't see anything last night, and it was a perfectly clear night.   ::gaah::

Been decades since I've seen them, but when I did they covered half the sky, pretty impressive.  But I was in town so the light from the cities limited the colors to mostly green.

Keep hoping to catch them up at the lake, but timing and good weather have not cooperated thus far.

Still, I keep looking...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.