Author Topic: Rice emerges as VP frontrunner  (Read 4752 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Rice emerges as VP frontrunner
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »
I get your point in posting the video Pan. But I think that a fair look at Rice's comment must also note that in the days and weeks after November 4th 2008, Republicans and conservatives in the public eye were tripping over themselves in a mad rush to say what a wonderful thing it was that the American people elected a Black man. I found it sickening from all of them, not just Rice. And not because he's Black, but because skin color shouldn't matter, and I knew who he was.

She voted for him.  Because he's Black.  And the rest of them, as you cite, can go straight to hell as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »
We, voted against him because he was half white or as my brother always said, he voted for the black half
 ::laughonfloor::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 06:26:55 AM »

Rice is nice West is best  ;D

Is that like, wine is fine but liquor is quicker? LOL

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 07:40:49 AM »

She voted for him.

Where did you read/hear that? I knew Powell did, but I've never heard that Rice did.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »

She voted for him.

Where did you read/hear that? I knew Powell did, but I've never heard that Rice did.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2008/12/08/33344/rice-americans-wise/

RICE: But of course, he is someone that I admire. He was on my committee, the Foreign Relations Committee. We have talked a number of times. He is going to do very well for the country. But eight years is a long time. The American people are wise in wanting change. Two terms is plenty. And I’m going to go back to California and on to other things.

Watch it:

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2008/12/condoleezza-rice-is-asked-about-widely.html

Condoleezza Rice is asked about the "widely held belief" that she voted for Barack Obama.
"And as secretary of state, I'm going to keep my partisan or non-partisan views to myself on that. But I think all Americans were taken with the fact that we were able, after the long history that we've been through, that initial birth defect of slavery that we elected an African American."

I'm taking that as a yes.

So am I.  Yes, I'm presuming.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
Romney-Rice...   ::)

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
She is not going to be the veep pick for reasons too numerous to list.

Drudge is trolling for hits. That's all this is.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:17 AM »
There was talk that this distraction was put out by the Romney campaign to change the subject from Bain but they denied it way too quickly so I'm going with Drudge being a jerk.

The fact that he has this as his headline many hours after the Romney campaign issued a denial is pretty telling. I don't know why Drudge is diminishing his brand with this nonsense.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
She is not going to be the veep pick for reasons too numerous to list.

Drudge is trolling for hits. That's all this is.

And I'm betting it's the Rovians floating this.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
Personally, I think that whoever Romney chooses to go with they will be aggressive. Rice doesn't come anywhere near to filling that description. The traditional role of the veep during the campaign is the tough and nasty surrogate for the president candidate...being the "bad cop." That's one of the reasons that some people have been hot for Christy...not that I think it will be him, I don't.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »
I think the top two are Ryan or Jindahl.  Rice brings nothing except of record of moderation and that's the last thing a confirmed moderate needs right now.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
Jindal is not eligible.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
Not going there.  He's legally born in America and frankly he's more "American" than most (53% at last count)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:09 AM »
Not going there.  He's legally born in America and frankly he's more "American" than most (53% at last count)

His parents were not citizens when he was born in America.  He's not eligible.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
So am I.  Yes, I'm presuming.

I don't blame you, but I don't presume it. I don't, because of the aforementioned proclamations of pride and national healing from just about every conservative in the public eye in the aftermath of the election. It was embarrassing.

Remember how after 9/11 the Leftists were tripping over themselves trying to out-patriot each other - until it was OK for them to go back to being the America-hating swine they are? That's how I viewed the Republican reaction to Obama's election. Every conservative in the public eye felt it obligatory to proclaim what a wonderful event had transpired, and all - except Limbaugh, to his credit - proclaimed confidence in his success and hope for it as well. Only after it became "safe" did conservative commentators and politicians regain their sanity.

I view Rice's comment through that lens. The fact that she's Black and assessing her plane of experiences must take her Blackness into account, I don't find it anomalous that she would make the "as a Black woman I'm especially proud" comment, even if she didn't vote for him.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
So am I.  Yes, I'm presuming.

I don't blame you, but I don't presume it. I don't, because of the aforementioned proclamations of pride and national healing from just about every conservative in the public eye in the aftermath of the election. It was embarrassing.

Remember how after 9/11 the Leftists were tripping over themselves trying to out-patriot each other - until it was OK for them to go back to being the America-hating swine they are? That's how I viewed the Republican reaction to Obama's election. Every conservative in the public eye felt it obligatory to proclaim what a wonderful event had transpired, and all - except Limbaugh, to his credit - proclaimed confidence in his success and hope for it as well. Only after it became "safe" did conservative commentators and politicians regain their sanity.

I view Rice's comment through that lens. The fact that she's Black and assessing her plane of experiences must take her Blackness into account, I don't find it anomalous that she would make the "as a Black woman I'm especially proud" comment, even if she didn't vote for him.

Okay, fair points.  

What, then, in your opinion, distinguishes her from Colin Powell (eta --) in this regard?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:09:37 AM by Pandora »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »

Okay, fair points.  

What, then, in your opinion, distinguishes her from Colin Powell (eta --) in this regard?

Colin Powell has been an Obama supporter before and since the elections, and has advocated Obama's policies, while trashing the Republicans as extremists. Only recently has Powell begun to be even slightly critical of Obama. So Powell revealed himself as a liberal. I don't think Rice has done any of that - at least not that I have seen or heard. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected.

ETA: Powell also played the race card against Republicans.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
What about the governor of Virginia, McDonnell? Has this name been floated anywhere? He may not be interested since he is early into his position as governor, but he is one of those under the radar governors quietly bringing some sanity back to their state governments.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53:58 AM »
Off topic but this thread needs some levity...

Spinal Tap pays comedy dividends forever.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
Jindal is not eligible.

Romney's not going to invite that issue into his campaign although I've heard conservations state flat out he's eligible.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."