Author Topic: Stephen Covey  (Read 1109 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Stephen Covey
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:27:48 PM »
I had a stint in the early 90's when I worked as a promoter for sales/management/executive/motivational training seminars and courses. Covey was a staple of the genre, and one of the more highly sought-after speakers on our circuit.

Stephen R. Covey, author of "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" as well as three other books that have all sold more than a million copies, has died. He was 79.

In a statement sent to employees of a Utah consulting firm Covey co-founded, his family said the writer and motivational speaker died at a hospital in Idaho Falls, Idaho, early Monday due to complications from a bicycle accident in April.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Stephen Covey
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »
I've heard of "The Seven Habits ... " book.  Keep meaning to get a round tuit, just out of curiosity.

That must have been a bad bike accident.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
That must have been a bad bike accident.

That, and he was an old dude to be falling off a bike. Falling down becomes a bigger event with every passing year once middle-age strikes. I can hardly imagine what a 79 year old falling off a bike must do to the body. Makes me wince thinking about it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
All it takes is to crack your head.

RIP

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »
I remember a friend who was so into the whole 7 habits thing.  Whatever works...

I hope I'm riding a bike at 79.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
I hope I'm riding a bike at 79.

I hope I'm still walking upright and sucking air. I'll have to see if I can find his book.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »
Some people really got pushy with that book and that kind of annoyed me, but I read it long ago in college, it had some practical guidance but I never got the hype, probably because I always thought a good dose of common sense and logic would take most people far.

Bike accident is not the best way to go, but few ways are.

Condolences to his family and friends.  RIP.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.