Author Topic: You Didn't Build That  (Read 3417 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: You Didn't Build That
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 12:08:17 PM »
I've been trying to vent in controlled bursts to take off the pressure, but .... you're right; some damn days .....

This latest demonstration of Obongo's just takes the cake for me.  Reading the Left bob, weave, "interpret" and accuse us of taking his words out of context are incitement to go rogue on them.  If I "hear" one more time about how necessary to success are gummint built roads, as though roads is what the Jerk In Chief really meant .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
I've been trying to vent in controlled bursts to take off the pressure, but .... you're right; some damn days .....

This latest demonstration of Obongo's just takes the cake for me.  Reading the Left bob, weave, "interpret" and accuse us of taking his words out of context are incitement to go rogue on them.  If I "hear" one more time about how necessary to success are gummint built roads, as though roads is what the Jerk In Chief really meant .....

My initial reaction to that assertion was "then how come everyone isn't successful?"  Public infrastructure exists for everyone.  We all have access to it.  In fact the government makes a conspicuous show of putting stuff in "disadvantaged" areas all the time, but it doesn't magically result in prosperity.  Usually it just results in rapid dilapidation and graffiti.  "You took your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for!"  Then why aren't "the rest of (you)" taking goods of your own to market?  Riddle me that, Fauxcohontas.

What they really mean is they want to handicap the naturally superior individuals for the benefit of the larger masses of slothful and unambitious.  I'm not even necessarily castigating people for being less ambitious.  I'm pretty much a Type B personality, and unless my literal survival depends on it I am unlikely to be the sort up at 4:30 AM and working til 10:00 PM every day. But I also recognize that it's a trade off, and the people who are that sort will probably end up with more wealth than me.

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

What they really mean is they want to handicap the naturally superior individuals for the benefit of the larger masses of slothful and unambitious.  I'm not even necessarily castigating people for being less ambitious.  I'm pretty much a Type B personality, and unless my literal survival depends on it I am unlikely to be the sort up at 4:30 AM and working til 10:00 PM every day. But I also recognize that it's a trade off, and the people who are that sort will probably end up with more wealth than me.

2081:

2081 Universal Absurdity

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »
Thank you for posting that, Weisshaupt.  I'd read the story; seeing it was horrifying.  And I recognized Tammy Bruce right away.

I am also acquainted with Thor Halvorssen, the producer.  Mr. Halvorssen lived and attended school here in the US and was CEO of FIRE, a position from which he stepped down in 2004 to return to Venezuela.  I recall reading the announcement of his departure and I have wondered what happened to him.

http://www.johnlocke.org/search/results.html?cx=000850932633721540975%3Ay7uhjqbesls&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=thor+halvorssen&sa=Search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Halvorssen_Mendoza
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
Kurt was perhaps just 69 years off?

::)

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
"1984" didn't exactly come on time either, but seems late by the same 26 years.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:55 PM »
Comparisons are often made between Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World because they both depict a dystopia where the individual is subjugated utterly and have certain similarities as a result. But one contrast is that Orwell's vision is of a society where the individual is actively oppressed and brainwashed against doing the things that the State forbids, whereas in Huxley's vision it is more of a society where the individual is perpetually intoxicated by feel-goodism and platitudes. In Orwell's world, an individual couldn't read a book because it was banned. In Huxley's, an individual couldn't read a book because no one cared about reading one. That is an almost more sickening vision IMO, and I think a bit closer to the mark on what we have unfolding around us now. We just have a deliberate production of dumb, incurious beings simply looking for their next sensory indulgence and their overlords are happy to oblige.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
If a business can only become successful because gov't builds bridges and roads, then the bridge to nowhere should result in massive amounts of commerce. Did it?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
Comparisons are often made between Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's Brave New World because they both depict a dystopia where the individual is subjugated utterly and have certain similarities as a result. But one contrast is that Orwell's vision is of a society where the individual is actively oppressed and brainwashed against doing the things that the State forbids, whereas in Huxley's vision it is more of a society where the individual is perpetually intoxicated by feel-goodism and platitudes. In Orwell's world, an individual couldn't read a book because it was banned. In Huxley's, an individual couldn't read a book because no one cared about reading one. That is an almost more sickening vision IMO, and I think a bit closer to the mark on what we have unfolding around us now. We just have a deliberate production of dumb, incurious beings simply looking for their next sensory indulgence and their overlords are happy to oblige.

Huxley is by far the most frightening. Probably because it doesn't  rely on  hyperbole or exaggeration  in any way. Just a few modest scientific advances in pharmacology and embryonics..

Soma- Xanex combined with Birth Control with no side effects and everyone is addicted. Babies grown and intellectually maimed by the state as a fetus  so everyone would be happy with their work because they were given work appropriate to their  intelligence.  If I remember the main character decides to stop taking his Soma and wake up - take the red pill so to speak, and also if I recollect, the regime doesn't kill him.. they send him to an island somewhere populated with people of his kind.
Quite frankly at this point, I would be happy to move to an island with my kind on it.

Its interesting to note that Timothy Leary was good friends with Huxley - both shared an interest in the "increased awareness" that could be brought  on by various drugs.  Also Timothy Leary's famous statement "Turn on, tune in, drop out"  was widely misinterpreted(or he revisionist-ed a new meaning) :

""Turn on" meant go within to activate your neural and genetic equipment. Become sensitive to the many and various levels of consciousness and the specific triggers that engage them. Drugs were one way to accomplish this end. "Tune in" meant interact harmoniously with the world around you - externalize, materialize, express your new internal perspectives. "Drop out" suggested an active, selective, graceful process of detachment from involuntary or unconscious commitments. "Drop Out" meant self-reliance, a discovery of one's singularity, a commitment to mobility, choice, and change. Unhappily my explanations of this sequence of personal development were often misinterpreted to mean "Get stoned and abandon all constructive activity".[3]"

In reality, Leary was advocating going Galt from the society that he knew.  

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
If a business can only become successful because gov't builds bridges and roads, then the bridge to nowhere should result in massive amounts of commerce. Did it?

Big Government would argue the greedy self-absorbed productive class betrayed the call to create commerce where no population existed, and they wouldn't have even known why what they just said made them look like the complete idiotic asshats they are.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »

He betrayed himself and it's going to be difficult to walk back.
He slapped not only the entrepreneur but also every blue collar
worker who goes to work and creates something that wasn't,
whether it's a commode that now flushes, or the capstone on
a one hundred story high rise, he shotgunned everyone.

Thanks Barry, for once you've expressed yourself well.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
The rank envy of others is revealing, as is the desire to hide in plain sight with the rest of the looters.  Joe the Plumber was right, say it loud and say it proud.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »
Absolutely pitch-perfect...

Honey, You Didn't Build That
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »
Spot on! ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
 ::hysterical::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »
That is way too accurate to how libiots think! 

Idiocracy is here, it is real, and it is getting pimped out by the Democrat-Media Complex 24/7/365...

But the little girl is on the right path at the end in dealing with these morons, go Galt, destroy the engine of the world, and see how long these asshats survive on their own!