Author Topic: The Vocal Fry Epidemic  (Read 898 times)

charlesoakwood

The Vocal Fry Epidemic
« on: July 21, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
HT: AoSHQ

The Vocal Fry Epidemic

I first became aware of this syndrome back in the twentieth century, it was carried predominately by lower class Hispanics and others who identified with a subculture known as 'hoods'.  This culture 'hoods' or hoodlums is not to be confused with the modern use of the word  'hood' which is more or less is derived from the word neighborhood and a sub group of which the word culture is not applicable.  

This modern vocal fry, in combination with a distinct nasal intonation, may also be heard coming from otherwise attractive female news readers.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The Vocal Fry Epidemic
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
I've been becoming more and more aware of the "syndrome" lately from both men and women -- usually younger people. 

It is EXTREMELY irritating, it's gravelly-sounding, but she's wrong about the process; these people are doing what used to be called "talking from your stomach".  They're not using their breath to produce a smooth vocal flow; they're just about holding their breath while speaking and forcing their speech out by squeezing their abdominal muscles, and doing so renders their ability to project their voices null as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Another example of embracing a lesser culture?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »

Another example of embracing a lesser culture?

Hmmm ....  A lesser culture?  It's definitely an affectation that handicaps the user's ability to function well, in effect, less well, so, perhaps.

I hear it most often on the radio, and without a face and form to focus on instead per TV viewing, it's obvious to my ear, and a puzzlement why anyone would hire a speaker with annoying mannerisms.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
So that's what they call it.  Good, now I know so when I say I hate vocal fry people will know what I mean without having to act out what I can't stand in trying to explain it to them.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
Speaking of annoying, has anyone else noticed the increased presence of the girl-chipmunk in "the media"?  There's one hawking an ED product on the radio that I have to turn off.

Some of the younger female singers affect little-girl voices (I'm thinking Brittany Spears here, but worse) as well.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

Maria Molina a cross of the above and a mosquito.