Author Topic: 2012 Summer Olympics in London  (Read 11413 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: 2012 Summer Olympics in London
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

Umm...what the heck is that?!   ::speechless::

Someone with time on his hands, I guess. That center pic looks kinda realistic...like a particularly difficult time.

Poor divers...no toilet paper, either.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:30 AM »
 ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »
We had dinner and a river cruise with our dear friends Saturday night, and afterward we had the Olympics on in the background as we played cards. The medal totals graphic came on, showing the US clearly in the lead in medals, with the (can't remember) 4th or 5th place team's medal totals less than the US Gold medal totals.

Our hostess made a comment to the effect of, "At what point do other countries just look at the US and hate us because we dominate?" A natural thought - nothing basically wrong with it. Envy is part of the spectrum of human responses to being outclassed in any particular venue.

But I took the opportunity to speak of American exceptionalism, and made the point that if the rest of the world that does not excel to the greatness of the United States wishes to compete with the United States, it would emulate our spirit and culture of individual achievement, as well as our tenets of liberty and our economic model that foster the growth of resources that spur innovation in everything from equipment, to training, to bio-science, to sports medicine.

The difference between envying greatness from a lower perch and emulating greatness because it's logical was not lost on her. She's a good and smart friend. Just not particularly tuned in to conservative thinking. She's more concerned with her yard, her decorating project, her aging parents, which college her teenage son will attend, etc.

There's an awful lot of good and decent people out there who just have not been directly confronted with the next "level" of thinking about culture and politics. If a person lives their daily life without the need, desire, or opportunity to take their thinking about this stew we're in to the next level, the only way, it seems, is to identify them and educate them one person at a time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:03:42 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
And then there is the diving photoshop...

Umm...what the heck is that?!   ::speechless::

Dare I say it , Libertas ... They just did " The Cannon Ball " !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
 ::laughonfloor::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
US Athlete Wins Silver Medal – Carries US and Mexican Flags Around Track

Ain't that grand!  His illegal father brought him here illegally when he was four years old, he's twenty-seven now and in the intervening years he acquired US citizenship, and, according to Ruben Navarette:

... after a lot of hard work and thousands of hours of training, he got the chance to represent his country and compete in the Olympics. And, to put the cherry on the sundae, he actually wins a silver medal. The last time an American won a medal of any kind in the 1500 meters was 44 years ago.

Well, rah rah for us, as the guy obviously is not sure which is "his country".

More Navarette:

Manzano was brought here when he was 4. Like most immigrants, they came in search of greater opportunity. And they found it — for themselves, and their children.

Note they did not come because they wanted to BE Americans; they wanted "greater opportunity".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 02:00:04 PM »
...Note they did not come because they wanted to BE Americans; they wanted "greater opportunity".

Much UNlike the generations of immigrants from Europe who understood that greater opportunity comes from BEING American.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
We are not gaining citizens...we are collecting refugees...

::gaah::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »