Author Topic: New batman movie  (Read 2600 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: New batman movie
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 03:35:07 PM »
Even worse was the shameful treatment of "The Green Hornet." That could have been done very, very well and instead it was a joke. Literally.

I'm not a comic book person. I don't collect them, read them or anything but when I was a child I was exposed to some and I remember Green Lantern as being pretty good. So, yeah, I expected better.

While we are on the topic of comic book movie treatments...another franchise that I think was wasted would be Fantastic Four. Again, I remember from my childhood it being a lot better than the movie(s) turned out to be.

I think, though, that the reason the current Batman iteration is so well received is because the whole concept (which, like most comic books is kinda ridiculous) is taken very seriously. That is, Batman really, really, really hates criminals (except Catwoman, apparently) and dispatches them (although almost always short of death) with extreme violence. This taps into an emotion that is deeply a part of the human condition, that the bad guys in society get away with a lot and they should have true judgement meted out to them. Batman (taken to this level) satisfies that fantasy desire.

The whole post modernism concept of bad guys as anti-heroes has, I think, become more than a bit worn out. The movie-going public is tired of seeing sympathetic criminals (think, for example, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid") and charming rogues being given the protagonist role in films. September 11, 2001 is probably more than a little responsible for this attitudinal change in modern society and Hollywood ran into an absolute stone wall when they churned out movies for the last decade that made the actual heroes (US military) the villains and tried to paint islamofascists in a sympathetic light.

I watched "True Lies" last night for the umpteenth time and remembered a time when Hollywood wasn't afraid to apply stereotypes (muslim terrorists) where they are appropriate. I rarely get tired of seeing that film if for no other reason than  the chance to see a muslim bad guy strapped to a rocket and shot at a helicopter full of other muslim bad buys. I love that scene. I can't remember the last time that Hollywood willingly used muslims as bad guys unless they were forced to by historical accuracy constraints. They need to. These are the enemies of western civilization and civilized society in general.

So that's why, in my opinion, Batman (in its current incarnation) works so well. It has clearly defined bad guys who are really, really bad and a hero who will stop at nothing (short of outright killing them, which is too bad but that's the way the character was conceived so I just have to live with that) to stop them. He beats the crap out of the bad guys and the audience appreciates that. The lack of a villain backstory (which is used to create sympathy more often than not) allows this concept to work that much better.

And that's why, I think, a lot of these other comic book movie franchises miss the mark. They confuse the issue. Sure, having things in stark black and white contrast is kind of simplistic and two dimensional...tough. I don't care. Bad guys are bad and good guys (who do have flaws) are good. I want to see evil defeated. It makes me feel good. If evil wins a battle I can live with it knowing that the forces of good will win the war. If that concept is too basic for movie writers and directors then they can have the hero suffer tragedy like his wife/child/girlfriend/family/dog getting killed in order for good to triumph. I would much rather see heroic tragedy than have to suffer through a big long steaming pile of expositional crap about how the bad guy is misunderstood or how it's society's fault that he is the way he is or that he was bullied as a kid or blah, blah, blah. Who cares? He's evil now. Allow the hero to kill him and his friends. Violently.

They are doing a reboot of Judge Dredd. Hope they can get that right.

"The Lone Ranger" was filmed near where I live this summer. They cast Johnny Depp as Tonto. I expect it will be horrid and hope to be proven wrong.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
Speaking of good guys and bad guys......If you want pure gratituous death and violence with some corny comedy, go see The Expendables 2. There's something to be said about a kill that makes you groan, oohh and aahh out loud. I'm surprised Stallone doesn't face some ridicule for the sheer body count and gore.

Don't go for the plot. Frankly, don't go for the acting.

Something about facing a mountain of bad guys, guns blazing and the good guys don't get a scratch....Now the bad guys...they get scratched.

As far as the Dark Knight, I took some flack from some locals about making the OWS/ obama connection. I guess getting lost in a movie and accepting it could actually play out in the obamadrama is more some want to digest.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
I think I saw the first "Expendables" on DVD. It was what I expected and my expectations for the sequel are the same so I will probably enjoy it.

Rush did a lot of promo talk for Dinesh D'souza's documentary, "2016" today and it's about to move into wide release. The force is strong with this one. I think it will do well and blow everyone away...in more ways than one. I believe for those who are only casually aware of who O'Bongo is it will be eye opening. And I believe that the people who try and figure out why the public will see one movie in droves and ignore others will be amazed (and aghast), as well. It's supposed to more or less follow the information in his book from a couple of years back, "Obama's Rage." I remember reading about it and some of the facts contained within. This documentary compliments the efforts by Breitbart.com to "vet" O'Bongo this time since the MFM will not. I'll pay to see it...have to support the good stuff when it comes along.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

I like my hero to be dedicated to his principles and not wishy washy over whether he should be dispatching the bad guys to the next world.  I don't want him to consider the bad dude has a wife or a nice daughter or had a mean father or a mother who dressed him in skirts.  I don't mind a hero with a sad backstory or one who has to push through the burden of being a hero as long as he doesn't forget he's the hero and never doubts the necessity of beating the bad guy.

On tv I'm looking forward to Person of Interest returning in September:

Person Of Interest Highlights Part1

Person Of Interest: Let You Live
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
Finally got to see the new Batman movie. Comic book hero is not really my genre, but I have to admit it was pretty good. And the reviews were pretty much spot on.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson