Author Topic: Sherman Hemsley  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Sherman Hemsley
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Sherman Hemsley, aka George Jefferson, dead at 74 according to TMZ.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/19102363/sherman-hemsley-tvs-george-jefferson-dead-according-to-tmz
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Sherman Hemsley
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:35:40 PM »
Is he "movin' on up"?  I really don't know much about the man apart from his Jefferson role...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
Is he "movin' on up"?  I really don't know much about the man apart from his Jefferson role...

And the persistant rumor that he was gay. He had a "live in" male friend. If he was, I applaud him for not forcing his views on everyone who would listen.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
Well, here's something that I never knew...Sherman Hemsley was  a serious progressive rock (or art rock as some call it) fan and a doper as well. When I was in high school Sherm would have been called a "head." How off the charts was he? He actually cut an unreleased album with Jon Anderson of Yes. He had an acid lab in his basement. He had an entire room dedicated to one song by a prog rock group called Gong. Never heard of Gong, myself, and I am better versed in prog rock than most people.

LINK

What you probably didn't know is that Sherman was a huge fan of bug-out prog rock. How big of a fan? He danced to this Gentle Giant song (Proclamation) on the Dinah! show in the 70s.

In an era of disco, pop and hard rock Sherman went a different route.

I never knew.

EDIT: One of the commenters at the linked obit said that he worked at a video gaming store that Sherm frequented and claimed that Sherm was a huge video gamer, too. I have to say that this is one of the more surprising post mortems I have ever read about a famous person. Sherm truly led a double life.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:26:48 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Well, isn't that interesting...and it proves Alan's point, whatever he was into he didn't broadcast it like people so often like to do now.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Telling me that Sherman Hemsley was a closet prog-rocker who cut an album with Jon Anderson is like telling me that Marylin Manson is actually the estranged bastard son of the Reverend Billy Graham.

Some things you can just never see coming.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »
Heh!   What a good visual reference!   ::speechless::   ;D

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
I had read that before about Sherman Hemsley, and was as surprised as everyone.  I guess you assume a black guy, whose fame was based on his portrayal of a "conspicuous" black guy, would be more into R&B and such. Pretty cool.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly