Author Topic: USDA newsletter encourages employees not to eat meat....  (Read 706 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
USDA newsletter encourages employees not to eat meat....
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
GOP senator calls foul

On Wednesday, Kansas Republican Sen. Jerry Moran called on Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to explain why the agency’s employee newsletter encouraged them to not eat meat and participate in the “Meatless Monday” initiative for the environment.

“One simple way to reduce your environmental impact while dining at our cafeterias is to participate in the ‘Meatless Monday’ initiative http://www.meatlessmonday.com/,” The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) July 23, 2012 “Greening Headquarters Update” read. “This international effort, as the name implies, encourages people not to eat meat on Mondays. Meatless Monday is an initiative of The Monday Campaign Inc. in association with the John Hopkins School of Public Health.”

Pointing to the United Nations as their informational authority, the USDA’s newsletter said that going meatless is good for the environment because “animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides.” It further charged that heavy meat consumption has detrimental health effect.

... The “Greening Headquarters Update” has since been removed from USDA’s website.

According to the Wyandotte Daily News a USDA spokesman explained, “USDA does not endorse Meatless Monday. The statement found on the USDA website was posted without proper clearance and it has been removed.”

Yah, they got caught.  Betcha there are "Meatless Mondays" signs in the cafeterias.

"Moran, who represents the third-largest beef-producing state in America, was shocked by the revelation."

*sigh*  Would like to see outrage from Senator whose little fiefdom wasn't adversely affected by this in favor of concern for the country at large.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: USDA newsletter encourages employees not to eat meat....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
Leftism overruns bureaucracy, even to the point of directly undermining the primary mission and justification for the bureaucracy.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
Bureaucrats.   ::)  The other red meat...

Leftists!.   ::gaah::  The mad-cow of meat!   ::mooning:: 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

Meatless Mondays: Chicken, fish, or pork will be the fare; I can live with that.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
Pork, it's tasty and it keeps the Muzzies away!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
So.....let me understand. The complaint is all the grain, water, pesticides it takes to cultivate meat.......so, don't eat it on Monday. Excuse me, but what good is abstaining if there is meat prepared in thier cafeteria? Wouldn't it be more effective just to change their menu?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »

There you go again, employing that logic stuff.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »
So.....let me understand. The complaint is all the grain, water, pesticides it takes to cultivate meat.......so, don't eat it on Monday. Excuse me, but what good is abstaining if there is meat prepared in thier cafeteria? Wouldn't it be more effective just to change their menu?

Then the liberals would complain on Mondays that there isn't any meat.

See, they don't want solutions to the issues they ostensibly care about. They just want the issue. Liberalism is the ultimate in hypocrisy. It allows the liberal to feel as if they are doing something by simply saying they care. They all have the same religion, so they don't challenge each other on the hypocrisy.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:50 PM »

Come on now, we all know that the libs want laws that affect everyone else, not them.  Just like they want to spend other peoples money not their own.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »

Then the liberals would complain on Mondays that there isn't any meat.

See, they don't want solutions to the issues they ostensibly care about. They just want the issue. Liberalism is the ultimate in hypocrisy. It allows the liberal to feel as if they are doing something by simply saying they care. They all have the same religion, so they don't challenge each other on the hypocrisy.

Oh, in an instance such as this,  I think the uber elitists want solutions, but for everyone else...not them. Everyone else must abstain......they can buy, oh, a carbon credit for thier sin but your meat eating is too excessive. They can own a gun...but your guns are too many and powerful. If your corp turns a profit, it will be too large, too oily, to dirty, you cheated, you dont pay a living wage but if a liberal turns the same profit it is lauded as saving GM.

And this reprehensibile bunch practice the same religion, but the uber elitists are the gods, not subject to the standard they set. But you are, their sheep are.....
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.