Author Topic: Ebola Outbreak  (Read 86737 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Ebola Outbreak
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
LINK

The deadly Ebola virus has killed 14 people in western Uganda this month, Ugandan health officials said on Saturday, ending weeks of speculation about the cause of a strange disease that had many people fleeing their homes.

The worst of the worst right there - that is one scary pathogen.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Ebola Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
People fled their homes .... and went where?  Wherever the next outbreak occurs.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »

Why Obama is sending troops to Africa – a closer look - Mon, Oct 31, 2011

In the current US AFRICOM operation, 100 Special Operations troops will travel with Ugandan People’s Defense Force (UPDF) soldiers trailing LRA leader Joseph Kony.
US to 'share lessons learned'

And the Russian Times reports:

Thousands more US troops to be sent to Africa
June 13, 2012

The Army Times confirms that the US military gave the go-ahead for the mass deployment last month and that roughly 3,000 soldiers will soon be sent overseas, with more troops expected to be dispatched during the duration of the program. Maj. Gen. David R. Hogg, head of US Army Africa, says the initiative is part of a “regionally aligned force concept” that will allow American troops to forge relationships across Africa, where the US has not concentrated its soldiers among civilians to the same degree as other continents.

Thank goodness Russia has a free press or we would never have a clue what is going on in the good ol USA.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
Not

Our

Concern

(Outside of quarrantining people coming here from there!)

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »

What about our 3K military personnel?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

What about our 3K military personnel?

I dunno.  Seems reckless doesn't it?  I wouldn't want to go without full NBC gear!  But like Stymie or REMFs give a rip.  As usual the troops get screwed, and in this case screwed could mean dead.  Totally unacceptable.  This has disaster written all over it.  I can see grieving family members suing for wrongful death.  Obama & Co spent ZERO time thinking this over, all they saw were black people and political points.  We have ZERO point being there.  Let WHO handle it.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »

Sort a like that Clancy novel, he wants
to bring the virus to America.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »

Sort a like that Clancy novel, he wants
to bring the virus to America.

Contagion is probably the most likely method if they wish to kill a lot of us, but Ebola might not be the right one. Typically you will see symptoms within 10 days - longest observed incubation was 21 days.   Of course a genetic variant may have been developed that takes longer, giving it ample time to to spread before word gets out that there is an outbreak.  Granted, you could get a 12 Monkeys scenario where someone deliberately contracts the disease and then takes a 10-21 day trip through as many airports and destinations as possible. Even so, you can only really spread it by direct contact.  An airborne contagion will spread far more quickly. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
People fled their homes .... and went where?  Wherever the next outbreak occurs.

What say we rescue some and bring them here.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »

Yessireebob, because that always works out so well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »

Yessireebob, because that always works out so well.

If you think about it every illegal that corsses into the country ups the odds for something like this for us.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
WH: no additional precautions against Ebola for African summit in DC
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:38 AM »
Leaders and government officials from Liberia as well as the other nations affected by Ebola—Guinea, Sierra Leone and Nigeria are expected to attend the D.C. summit.

... The Obama administration is urging federal employees to stay home during the summit of African leaders being held in Washington, D.C. next week and to monitor local news for announcement of a possible “closing of the federal government” —ostensibly over traffic issues.

... “Agencies should consider encouraging employees who can be spared from their duties to request to adjust their work schedules,” Katherine Archuleta, the director of the Office of Personnel Management, wrote Friday in a memo.”

…”Ms. Archuleta wrote that for now the federal government would remain open Monday through Thursday next week, but she advised federal employees to monitor local news outlets for announcements about potential street closings, disruptions to public transportation or a closing of the federal government.”

At the same time the administration said the federal government is taking no “additional precautions” to deal with the potential spread of the Ebola virus by those attending the summit.

... The White House downplaying of the Ebola threat contradicted State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki who said Monday about the summit, “…we’re taking every precaution…”

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Re: WH: no additional precautions against Ebola for African summit in DC
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
No, let them go to work.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
CDC Level 3 Travel Alert

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-31/cdc-issues-level-3-travel-alert-largest-ebola-outbreak-history-spreads

Yet, didn't I hear somewhere that a couple infected types got OK to travel here for treatment?

Alert ain't worth squat but propaganda value if we're not quarantining incoming!   ::facepalm::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 05:34:16 PM »
 The two that were allowed to travel home were American Aid workers.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
The two that were allowed to travel home were American Aid workers.

It is said that they are associated with Franklin Graham's organization, Samaritan's Purse. Further, one of them, a doctor, had access to a single dose of an experimental treatment for ebola but elected to give it to the other American, a nurse. Both are said to be in stable but grave condition. Also said to be traveling in a specially designed plane to prevent disease transmission. Also said to be going into immediate isolation/quarantine upon arrival.

They will probably not survive, unfortunately.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
Thanks for the info, presscorpse in this country sucks!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
Thanks for the info, presscorpse in this country sucks!

Yes, it does!  UK Daily Mail has the story .... lemme see if I can find it ........  yep, here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2712477/Dr-Kent-Brantly-battling-Ebola-passes-potentially-life-saving-experimental-serum-American-colleague-it.html

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/ebola-and-d-c-africa-summit-official-protocols-in-place-for-visitors-with-health-related-issues/

Unh hunh ........

The statement, even though not specific, is the closest to a statement of preparedness made by the Obama administration. Various spokesmen have sought to downplay the potential for Ebola to be brought to the summit via West African government officials and members of their entourages.

The statement by the unnamed State Department official contradicts State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf’s flat declaration earlier Thursday at the daily briefing that the administration has no concern about Ebola being brought to the summit:

So why are they allowing "visitors with health-related issues" in here?