Author Topic: Fauquier County steps over the line -- another farmer harassment case  (Read 2955 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Fauquier County steps over the line -- another farmer harassment case
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
And now this Johnson bitch has moved on to wineries:

While the Obama administration is busy eviscerating private property rights at the federal level, Republican-controlled Fauquier County, Va., has decided to follow suit in its own way. Fauquier's Board of Supervisors recently passed a winery ordinance that tramples private property rights and some fundamental civil liberties.

The county, which is located about an hour west of Washington, calls itself an agricultural community. Its scenic, sprawling farmlands have become home to a growing number of wineries. Vintners have discovered that Fauquier's climate and rich soil are ideal for growing grapes.

Most of the wineries are mom and pop operations. Some, though, have been more creative in marketing, employing more people, and generating revenue. The county thinks such success must be punished.

At the center of all this is the county zoning administrator, a bureaucratic czar named Kimberley Johnson, whose bullying and heavy-handed enforcement tactics have resulted in calls for her dismissal by county farmers and residents. Johnson was recently the subject of a citizen-farmer "pitchfork protest" in a matter in which she fined one farmer for conducting a pumpkin carving and a birthday party for eight little girls without the proper permit.

The winery ordinance is Obama-esque, passed under the pretext that it protects the health, safety and welfare of the public. It forces wineries to close at 6 p.m. and prohibits sale of food -- something that goes quite safely with a taste of wine -- unless the wineries obtain special permits from the zoning administrator.

The ordinance lists prohibited winery activities such as hot air balloon rides, farmers' markets, and mini-golf, which assuredly threaten the health, safety and welfare of the public, right?

Among the prohibited activities, the ordinance includes anything else determined by the zoning administrator "to be similar in nature or in impact to" the listed activities. That's the equivalent allowing police officers to ticket drivers for nearly anything they wish.

The winery ordinance comes with potential criminal penalties, yet it has weak standards of evidence and due process to protect the innocent. It's a civil liberties and property rights nightmare on its face. Chicago politics and even dictatorships mask their tyrannical abuses of law better than this.

Fauquier gave its zoning czar the same type of unlimited discretion to decide whether to issue special permits to stay open past 6 p.m., to host events, and to determine entry road surface conditions. This gives the zoning administrator unfettered control over the very existence of wineries, and creates conditions under which vintners must fear her every next move.

Perhaps the most offensive provision of the ordinance authorizes "private personal gatherings" at wineries. Someone obviously forgot to tell Fauquier officials that in America, we don't need government permission for private personal gatherings on our own property.

Yet even in their contempt for the freedom of assembly and private property rights, Fauquier officials limited the definition of "private personal gathering" to owners who reside at or adjacent to their wineries, and who do not market their wine at such gatherings. This means no winery signs -- no bottle labels, even, when owners hold private personal gatherings on their property, because that's marketing.

The Fauquier ordinance clearly violates Virginia's Right to Farm Act, which guarantees agriculture activities of growing and selling. No county may use ordinances to inhibit these rights.

Vintners are challenging the Fauquier ordinance in courts and are seeking legislative relief in Richmond. Perhaps, though, they and their patrons should form a Wine Party, and dispel the Fauquier government officials responsible for this lawbreaking and these trespasses on private rights.

People like Johnson, and the Fauquier "officials" who allow her to ride roughshod over the county, are going to find themselves disappearing as a result of a "Wine Party".  I'm assuming they have pig-raising operations somewhere in the county.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »
They seriously just do not realize the hornet's nest they keep kicking.  Utterly shameless.  These people should be shunned and ridiculed everywhere they go in their daily lives.  I don't even want to hear any of this "just doing my job" bullsh*t.  If your "job" is to harass people for carving pumpkins at a little girl's birthday party then nothing about you is deserving of one iota of respect from real citizens.

Not showing up as a torch-wielding mob in response to this sort of crap is exactly what has emboldened these petty fascists to go as far as they have.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
Yet they go farther.  How is serving food during a wine tasting a health and safety issue?  Or insisting on limiting the number of events?  Or demanding the wineries cease business at 6PM?

Look at the crap they're imposing!  

"3) the cumulative number of Special Events allowed by Administrative and Special Exception Permits was excessive."

The "number of .... events allowed .... was excessive"?!  Allowed??!

And they're Republicans!

http://www.citizensforfauquier.org/fiscalmatters/fauquierwineries.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
It's time for people like this woman to disappear without a trace. Kicking and screaming, and then gone. f**king Nazi.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »
these types of people need to be reminded they serve at the pleasure of the citizens who employ them....
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
Reminding them is useless Lady V. Examples need to be made. My prior statement is hyperbolic, spoken in anger. But with a grain of truth as I see it, I don't think there is much point to further conversation with these people.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
I don't see how in the hell they can give a permit and then change the conditions of that same permit.This would be to easy to blow out of the water in court and hit the town with a suit.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »
Reminding them is useless Lady V. Examples need to be made. My prior statement is hyperbolic, spoken in anger. But with a grain of truth as I see it, I don't think there is much point to further conversation with these people.

I'd settle for them to be TOTALLY irrelevant.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
They seriously just do not realize the hornet's nest they keep kicking.  Utterly shameless.  These people should be shunned and ridiculed everywhere they go in their daily lives.  I don't even want to hear any of this "just doing my job" bullsh*t.  If your "job" is to harass people for carving pumpkins at a little girl's birthday party then nothing about you is deserving of one iota of respect from real citizens.

Not showing up as a torch-wielding mob in response to this sort of crap is exactly what has emboldened these petty fascists to go as far as they have.

Got that right!   ::thumbsup::

This Johnson bitch must be one of those Franco "republicans", fricken Nazi bitch!

Who is the Governor?  Who's running the legislature?  They are all pubbies too, right?  All Franco types too?!  If this thug is violating state law the citizens are right to demand immediate state intervention.  If not, the torch-weilding mob should next descend upon richmond!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
I don't see how in the hell they can give a permit and then change the conditions of that same permit.This would be to easy to blow out of the water in court and hit the town with a suit.

It would have been, back when we had a judicial system that operated according to the Rule of Law.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »

John, it happens everyday....It's happened to me. Plus, I don't have the time to file suit and invest time and money it would require and the cities know it. I'm hounding the new mayor of our little town to change the culture of our small town czars, who believe thier building codes job is equal to Gods. And i'm in small town USA....I can't imagine the layers upon layers of gov't chit small business must endure in large cities.

barack obama has emboldened every two bit gov't employee in America. Remember the thread about the ADA changes? Yep, I've had the codes czar, the fire czar, the sewer czar, people who have no business inspecting my establishment in regards if there is enough room around a treadmill for a friggin wheelchair.

It is a round the clock battle......Then the little asses want a "deal" because they are a gov't employee.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:05 PM »

barack obama has emboldened every two bit gov't employee in America.

you have that right!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

John, it happens everyday....It's happened to me. Plus, I don't have the time to file suit and invest time and money it would require and the cities know it. I'm hounding the new mayor of our little town to change the culture of our small town czars, who believe thier building codes job is equal to Gods. And i'm in small town USA....I can't imagine the layers upon layers of gov't chit small business must endure in large cities.

barack obama has emboldened every two bit gov't employee in America. Remember the thread about the ADA changes? Yep, I've had the codes czar, the fire czar, the sewer czar, people who have no business inspecting my establishment in regards if there is enough room around a treadmill for a friggin wheelchair.

It is a round the clock battle......Then the little asses want a "deal" because they are a gov't employee.

Sorry to hear that.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »

Sorry to hear that.

As long as obummer is prez, it will be impossible to make meaningful change.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »

Sorry to hear that.

As long as obummer is prez, it will be impossible to make meaningful change.

Conting down and with each day I'm feeling better and better about the outcome in Nov.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Then the little asses want a "deal" because they are a gov't employee.

Deal? What kind of deal? That sounds like extortion.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
Then the little asses want a "deal" because they are a gov't employee.

Deal? What kind of deal? That sounds like extortion.

I agree, get a camera (for security purposes of course) and a microphone.  Post outside the business that the business is videotaped and recorded (in a not too obvious place), and invite the crooks in.  This will either make your ADA compliance issues disappear or get the offenders on unemployment.
Eschew Obfuscation