Author Topic: Chick-fil-a  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Chick-fil-a
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
The Internet never forgets...

RickZ

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/vante-of-tucson-az-regrets-actions-of-former-cfo-1686870.htm

August 02, 2012 17:02 ET

Vante of Tucson, AZ Regrets Actions of Former CFO

Employee Has Left the Company

TUCSON, AZ--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) - The following is a statement from Vante:

Vante regrets the unfortunate events that transpired yesterday in Tucson between our former CFO/Treasurer Adam Smith and an employee at Chick-fil-A. Effective immediately, Mr. Smith is no longer an employee of our company.

The actions of Mr. Smith do not reflect our corporate values in any manner. Vante is an equal opportunity company with a diverse workforce, which holds diverse opinions. We respect the right of our employees and all Americans to hold and express their personal opinions, however, we also expect our company officers to behave in a manner commensurate with their position and in a respectful fashion that conveys these values of civility with others.

We hope that the general population does not hold Mr. Smith's actions against Vante and its employees.

RickZ

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/tucson-exec-loses-job-over-anti-chick-fil-a-rant/article_f8cefeec-dcf5-11e1-8b88-001a4bcf887a.html

An executive at a medical manufacturing firm lost his job after a YouTube video of him verbally ambushing a young employee at a Tucson Chick-fil-A went viral.

Adam Smith, formerly Chief Financial Officer at Vante, stepped down after the video — which Smith shot and uploaded himself —caused embarrassment to the company.

The video was picked up by countless blogs. Before Smith took it off of YouTube, others had downloaded it and re-posted it. Both the escapade and its fallout filled Tucson-linked tweets.

Smith, who served as an adjunct lecturer at the University of Arizona last semester, filmed himself berating a drive-thru employee at Chick-fil-A, 3605 E. Broadway, Wednesday. Conservative firebrand Mike Huckabee dubbed that day “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” and encouraged customers to eat there to show support for the chain after President Dan Cathy drew controversy for saying the company supports efforts to block gay marriage.

In the video, which runs 2 minutes, 21 seconds, Smith enters the drive-thru, explaining that he’s ordered a free cup of water. Once the employee hands him his cup, he lambastes her employer, calling Chick-fil-A “a hateful corporation” and “a horrible corporation with horrible values” that “gives money to hate groups.”

Chick-fil-A restaurants have been a source of political uproar after Cathy’s statements against same-sex marriage.

Cathy made statements in June and July in support of the biblical definition of marriage. Gay-rights groups have called for a boycott of the Atlanta-based company, and city leaders in Boston and Chicago have said new franchises would not be welcome there.

Protests critical of Cathy’s statements are expected today.

In Smith’s video, the employee at the drive-through window, taken aback, tells Smith that she’s uncomfortable being filmed. Smith does not back off.

“I don’t know how you live with yourself and work here,” Smith says to the employee, before calling himself “totally heterosexual” and saying there’s “not a gay in me” and “I just can’t stand the hate.” He also says he’s “I’m a nice guy, by the way.”

After he’s done talking to her, he says he thinks he “just did something really good” and “I feel purposeful.”

Roger Vogel, Chairman, President and CEO of Vante, said the decision for Smith to step down was mutual. Vogel said he was “shocked” by the video, which he first discovered when people emailed him a link.

“We obviously found it very disturbing,” Vogel said. “We respect everybody’s ability to share their opinions in the public square and we have a very diverse workforce with a diverse set of opinions. We expect employees to behave in a professional manner that’s commensurate with their positions, and discuss their opinions in a civil fashion. ... We thought what he did was inappropriate.”

Vogel said the company has no stance on the gay marriage issue but has always hade a “good relationship” with Chick-fil-A. He said the company will consider contacting the employee Smith ambushed in an attempt to mend fences.

Reached at Chick-fil-A, the employee declined comment. Smith did not respond to messages left via email or through the University of Arizona. UA spokespeople did not return messages asking whether or not Smith would continue to teach classes, although Smith’s profile was scrubbed from UA’s faculty listings Thursday.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Smith taught Valuation and Corporate Finance to MBA students last semester.

Before accepting the job at Vante, Smith worked for more than seven years at IBM, where he was Senior Finance Manager. Smith earned a business degree at the UA, graduating in 1999, as well as an MBA in 2007.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »
This little bastard should be hounded wherever he goes. He should never know another day of peace, and he should be limited in employment opportunities to the point where he has to have a gay in him to make a few bucks.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »
Man, it must suck to be a group whose relevance depends on frivolous lawsuits.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »
Bullsh*t, no standing, cannot show one fvcking instance of harm!  Suit dismissed!

Oh, and that Smith fellow can go screw himself too!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:56 AM »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »
Ever notice, some mornings are just a little sunnier than others?  ::USA::

The boy is getting a world class scrubbing!  ::laughonfloor::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:09 AM »
Yeah, that's a dman shame.

::hysterical::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
Just returned fron chic fil a......reporting no gay or lesbian sightings. No protest. The spicy chicken sandwich was mmm, mmm, good.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
Ever notice, some mornings are just a little sunnier than others?  ::USA::

The boy is getting a world class scrubbing!  ::laughonfloor::

His firing was just reported on the Raleigh FM station -- with a snippet of him, from the clip-gone-viral saying he feels "really good" about what he did.

Maybe GLSN will hire him.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Chick-fil-a gives up
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
Chick-fil-A agrees to stop funding antigay groups

The company has promised that its not-for-profit arm, would no longer contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage

Joe Moreno, the alderman whose opposition of a proposed Chick-fil-A on Chicago's north side helped fuel the controversy, told the Chicago Tribune the company has pledged to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in a memo to staffers, and has promised that the WinShape Foundations, its not-for-profit arm, would no longer contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage. Moreno said he will recommend that Chick-fil-A's construction plans be approved

I can respect a company that doesn't contribute to political groups but not when it happens as the result of pressure.  I'm sure there are suburbs of Chicago that would love a Chic-fil-a in their area.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »
The pressure must be immense, and I hope they're prepared for the fallout of a reversal.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »
The pressure must be immense, and I hope they're prepared for the fallout of a reversal.

many I think will feel betrayed.... I know I do..they were contributing to organizations like Focus on the Family that I've supported in the past...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
Man, I admit...this is disappointing. Really, really disappointing.....

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
I'll wait until it's someone other than an elected Chicago piece of garbage saying so, thank you.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
I'll wait until it's someone other than an elected Chicago piece of garbage saying so, thank you.

Likewise.

When I first heard about this I said "Oh, that's unfortunate" and then went of to the next thing. Now that I read that they've been "in negotiations" with these chicago asswipes and they're (potentially) buckling I'm pissed. "Go pound sand" is the absolute nicest way I can think to respond to cheap thugs.

Never surrender, never retreat.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
Cheese-eating surrender-monkeys!   ::vafancoul::