Author Topic: Texas Style Smoked Brisket  (Read 12106 times)

Offline KittenClaws

Re: Texas Style Smoked Brisket
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
Here's my mom's recipe. It turns out delicious!

BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET

1 - 12-oz can beer
6 cups water to cover meat
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 – 6 lb beef brisket
1 cup barbeque sauce

Combine all ingredients except barbecue sauce in Dutch oven. Bring to boil, cover & simmer 4 hours. Allow to cool to lukewarm in cooking liquid.

Transfer brisket to plastic container, add 1 cup barbecue sauce, cover & refrigerate for 48 hours. Cook over medium coals 15 minutes each side. Makes 12 – 16 servings.

Sounds most excellent! Where was your mom raised? I've never heard of boiling the brisket first, I've done it with corned beef though.

Moms cooking is always the best!
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »

BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET

1 - 12-oz can beer
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 – 6 lb beef brisket
1 cup barbeque sauce

Combine all ingredients except barbecue sauce in Dutch oven. Bring to boil, cover & simmer 4 hours. Allow to cool to lukewarm in cooking liquid.

Transfer brisket to plastic container, add 1 cup barbecue sauce, cover & refrigerate for 48 hours. Cook over medium coals 15 minutes each side. Makes 12 – 16 servings.

Sounds most excellent! Where was your mom raised? I've never heard of boiling the brisket first, I've done it with corned beef though.

She was raised in Illinois, both sides of her folks from Germany. I'm not sure, but it's possible she got this recipe in Tucson, to where she retired.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline KittenClaws

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »

BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET

1 - 12-oz can beer
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 – 6 lb beef brisket
1 cup barbeque sauce

She was raised in Illinois, both sides of her folks from Germany. I'm not sure, but it's possible she got this recipe in Tucson, to where she retired.

Her recipe would work. The meat would be tender.  The flavor would be in the sauce.

What I mean to say is, if boiled, it would have to be lean, all of the fat trimmed off, with a terrific sauce.

Texas brisket relies on the fat for flavor and tenderness, a real BBQ sauce is not added.

I enjoy it either way!
"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." - Thomas Jefferson

“... sad moral of all human tales; ’Tis but the same rehearsal of the past; First freedom, and then glory—when that fails, Wealth, vice, corruption, barbarism at last.” – Roman Historian, Tacitus

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »
I know that. I just posted a different way to prepare a brisket.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.