Author Topic: Ryan Wins The Veepstakes  (Read 4628 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Ryan Wins The Veepstakes
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »
My daughter and her friends are planning a party for the VP debates...I suppose they'll could take a drink every time Biden says something stupid.

Don't allow them to drink every time the moderator says "The Ryan Plan" with a derisive tone. They'll all die.

Either way there's a danger of alcohol poisoning.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:30 AM »
Change it to every fouth episode and they should only be snockered.  Might need a sober official scorer though.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
They just need to ditch the whole "moderated" format. Because it's not in any way moderated. The moderator will inevitably be simpatico with the Democrat, and working to steer the debate in a way that is most favorable to the Democrat.

The only moderation, if any, should be mechanical for the purposes of enforcing time limits. Otherwise just stick a camera in front of them and let them go at it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I would honestly love (and I do NOT understand why no Republican has done it) for a candidate to simply refuse the controlled-by-Leftist-media debate format, and challenge the Leftists to a Lincoln/Douglas style debate, or no debate at all. Or at the very least, demanding an equal number of debates hosted by Leftist and right-leaning outlets, take it or leave it.

What we have now is nothing less than the opposite of all the debates being moderated by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, or Glenn Beck. The notion would be inconceivable to the Left if the roles were reversed. It is so ludicrous for the GOP to allow it to continue. They walk into the lions den, cycle after cycle, pitting themselves on an uneven playing field against their opposition and the moderators of the debates. The very questions are designed to elicit negative opinions of the GOP, let alone the attitudes and blatant bias of the moderators.

I suppose the risk of a take it or leave it ultimatum is the Leftists saying, OK, then no debate, and then portraying the Republican as afraid to debate. But someone ought to have the ability to articulate an outright refusal to play the game by their rules any longer, and establish a new playing field.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2012, 10:14:31 AM »
Newt did, if I recall correctly.

They should have just followed his lead.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
IIRC, Newt threw the challenge out there, but it wasn't n the context of a threat to abandon debates altogether if the challenge was refused.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Refuse to do them.

Who's going to care?  The mushy middle?  So what if the media makes a big thing about it...more and more people are realizing "big" media is irrelevant.

If I remember correctly at least one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates went 7 hours.  Can you imagine BO lasting that long? 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
Refuse to do them.

Who's going to care?  The mushy middle? 

It's the mushy middle that got us where we are today. I group them with progs. ::rockets::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 06:43:31 AM »
Last I heard Romney agreed to debates already and the usual suspects are once again involved and one of them is one of those ridiculous phony townhall formats...Romney violated every one of my debate recommendations, once again the tilted playing field is accepted.

::outrage::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
The whole "town hall" format is a contrivance specifically to reinforce Democrat narratives and talking points. Stack the audience with a bunch of woe-is-me sob cases and then watch the Republican try to bob and weave around all the emotional uppercuts. The Democrat can then commiserate with the plant, while instructing a staff member to get their name so they can make sure they get a new kitchen in their house.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
Sure would like to hear "God helps those who help themsleves, what have you done to help yourself?"!