Author Topic: Another reason to avoid social media  (Read 930 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Another reason to avoid social media
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »

OK, I'm reading it: "From there, it was putting that location on a Google map curating residences relatively close to where the tweeters live."; WTH
is she saying?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »

OK, I'm reading it: "From there, it was putting that location on a Google map curating residences relatively close to where the tweeters live."; WTH
is she saying?

They're storing data (=curating) on where you live.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
"From there, it was putting that location on a Google map [storing data] [of] residences relatively close to where the tweeters live.";  OK, where did they
obtain the information on residences relatively close to where the tweeters live?
If they only have the information on the tweeters how do they know information
on those relatively close to where tweeters live?   I'm not trying to be a horse's
ass, I think this thing is awkwardly written and not forthcoming.

Checked my manual word search for "location" and came up with this:

AT&T wants you to be aware that some applications that you enable may involve the location of your phone being shared.

Tried to find info on these apps, so I could turn them off, and found this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html

An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent. Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age, gender and other personal details to outsiders.

The findings reveal the intrusive effort by online-tracking companies to gather personal data about people in order to flesh out detailed dossiers on them.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
I'm not trying to be a horse's
ass, I think this thing is awkwardly written and not forthcoming.

Didn't think "horse's ass" at all.  What you've unearthed there is more than I know about any of this stuff, not being a Facebooker, Tweeter, nor do I have a phone that is "app"-applicable.  I was guessing.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »

Yeah, I just want one that works, stores numbers and speed dials
but mine is a smart phone, whatever that is, so I wanted to turn
them off.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:46:11 AM »
I hear ya CO, been waiting for a deal on a new phone, would like to go the smartphone route, but I am not interested in the games and apps that all the young/hip people are into, I would just like to talk, text, email and maybe hit a website or two...I don't need to be jacked in 24/7, I just want something to use when I want it and not have to put up with invasions of my privacy or sanity. Plus, I am still debating the security aspects of Android vs Apple and I am not entirely convinced there is a difference and extra measures may be needed on my part to ensure it no matter which is chosen. Your article just amplifies my concerns, if there isn't a way to block ID then to heck with it. All these outfits proclaiming they are protecting personal info doesn't mean squat, it's what their lawyers want them to say regardless if it is true or not. And being tied to the Apple Plantation offers little appeal. Right now I am sticking with my dumb phone.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.