Author Topic: SD Gov signs abortion law requiring 72 hour waiting period, counseling  (Read 992 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Hooray for South Dakota children! Some will live whom the Left would murder!

SD Gov signs abortion law requiring 72 hour waiting period, counseling

Gov. Dennis Daugaard has signed into law the controversial abortion bill that requires women seeking an abortion to wait 72 hours and consult with a counselor at a pregnancy help center before the procedure.

Planned Parenthood of Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota, American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU of South Dakota said they will file a lawsuit immediately.

“Our legal team has determined that the bill is an egregious violation of the constitution,” said Planned Parenthood media relations director Kathi Di Nicola said.

“I think everyone agrees with the goal of reducing abortion by encouraging consideration of other alternatives,” Daugaard said in a released statement. “I hope that women who are considering an abortion will use this three-day period to make good choices.”

His office declined to be interviewed today.

The governor’s office has previously stated that a threat of a lawsuit has no bearing on whether or not the governor would sign the legislation, but Daugaard would factor in the cost of litigation.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Good for them!

No surprise the baby-killer coalition is set to challenge the law, which should not find a judge willing to accept it, as I thought SCOTUS already settled the issue that waiting periods are legal long ago.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.