Author Topic: Jan Brewer  (Read 2012 times)

charlesoakwood

Jan Brewer
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »

msnbc
Arizona judge won't stop Jan Brewer from declaring annual 'Day of Prayer'

East Valley Tribune
updated 8/14/2012 9:45:26 AM ET

msnbc
Updated: Jan Brewer orders denial of benefits to illegal immigrants Obama is allowing to stay

East Valley Tribune
updated 8/15/2012 9:46:05 PM ET

msnbc
Illegal immigrants protest Jan Brewer's executive order at Arizona Capitol

East Valley Tribune
updated 8/16/2012 8:45:11 PM ET

Christian Science Monitor
Jan Brewer leads 'constitutional throwdown' against DREAM Act-lite

Daily Beast
Governor Jan Brewer Battles Obama’s DREAM Directive in Arizona
by Terry Greene Sterling Aug 17, 2012 4:45 AM EDT

How did I miss this?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Jan Brewer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
Jan Brewer NOT invited to speak at Republican convention.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
Jan Brewer NOT invited to speak at Republican convention.

Yet so many RINO's are invited. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
Maybe we should do like the Dems and have a "shadow convention".  They're so upset that Charlotte is in a right-to-work state, a state that recently slammed the door on homosexual marriage, that they're forming a separate convention in protest.

Perhaps we need one of our own for people who have the guts to point at things and call them what they are.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 05:49:29 AM »
Republicans get only 30% of the Hispanic vote. They don't want to needlessly rock the boat at the convention by inviting Gov. Brewer to speak.

It's politics. I get it.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
Big Al, I don't know if it's only politics.
I'm thinking they are just teling us conservatives to kiss off because they think we have no where else to go due to Obama.
If it was solely to pander for the Hispanic vote, why was Palin not invited to speak. She's no foe of amnesty but a conservative in some ways.

I heard that, for the first time since 1976, there will be no anti-abortion plank in the platform.
This is a party that is moving to the left not the right.

2012 may not be the year to vote 3rd party. (Or maybe it is)
But it is time to send them the way of the Whigs.

I had once thought that reforming the GOP from the inside was the best way to go.
I am no longer 100% convinced that can happen

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
Big Al, I don't know if it's only politics.
I'm thinking they are just teling us conservatives to kiss off because they think we have no where else to go due to Obama.
If it was solely to pander for the Hispanic vote, why was Palin not invited to speak. She's no foe of amnesty but a conservative in some ways.

I heard that, for the first time since 1976, there will be no anti-abortion plank in the platform.
This is a party that is moving to the left not the right.

2012 may not be the year to vote 3rd party. (Or maybe it is)
But it is time to send them the way of the Whigs.

I had once thought that reforming the GOP from the inside was the best way to go.
I am no longer 100% convinced that can happen
May as well try to reform cult of Islam. They are who they want to be, traitors to the very core principles of the GOP and nobody is going to stop them short of a Maccabees type action.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
Warpmine, I guess I was once naive when I thought that.
I also had hope that the Tea Party could build into a national movement and have significant effect.

I know that it's said that the diversity and lack of centalization was the Tea Party's strength but it is a weakness and dooms it to failure.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Warpmine, I guess I was once naive when I thought that.
I also had hope that the Tea Party could build into a national movement and have significant effect.

I know that it's said that the diversity and lack of centalization was the Tea Party's strength but it is a weakness and dooms it to failure.

Did you watch the video of Dana Loesch at the "Occupy the Truth" rally in Cleveland? She did a wonderful job of answering the claims that the Tea Party is waning. She simply enumerated a few of the recent and/or most notable successes. Dick Lugar. David Dewhurst. Charlie Crist. A few others.

I think that we make a mistake if we assume that the lack of rallies matching the fervor of the healthcare and 2010 rallies means the Tea Party is weak or disorganized. I think the fact that it is quieting in its public demonstrations and creating successes in individual political races could mean that the energy is being channeled productively.

We'll see, this November. I predict that some freshmen Republican house members who did not stick with Tea Party principles and who lack other appeal (West comes to mind as one who may survive because of "other" appeal) will be successfully challenged by a new batch of Tea Party conservatives.

The House was literally lurched rightward in 2010, to the dismay of the GOP leadership. Another rightward lurch, or at least holding the house with a strong majority and bolstering the Senate with a few Tea Partiers, and the GOP will not be able to help getting the message. What they are willing to do to thwart our will is another matter, but the message will be sent. Perhaps the message will even be strong enough to oust Boehner and McConnell. Doubtful, but who knows?

And if we take the White house from the Chimpanzee, then the GOP will have no excuses. Save the Republic at our behest, or the party dies. I think it could be that stark. That is where my hope lies. That, and in God.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
I did not see the Dana Loesch video, IDP.

The few successes you mention, however, don't change my emphasis on the word "significant"
I am happy for any success that is achieved and don't mean to diminish that.

What were the successes of the 83 freshmen of 2010?
Most went right along with Boehner even though they occasionally gave him some minor headaches.

I saw little attempt to increase liberty and freedom, protect and strengthen individual rights or smaller government.

There are no defining principles of the Tea Party.
Hell, we can't even figure out what a conservative really is.

The Romney nomination is hardly a big win for us. His election would be better than Obama but what will we really gain?

He has been on the wrong side of most issues.
He will allow amnesty, we'll see if he really means it when he says he'll repeal and "replace" Obamacare. The SCOTUS argument doesn't seem to work anymore.

Will he repeal executive orders?

A few Senators will help. I wonder how many 2010 fresmen reps will be replaced?

As far as rallies, I think some rallies would be a good thing. They fire people up.

I have always felt that there should be a few defining principles of the Tea Party.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I may be completely naive, or allowing my deepest wishes to cloud my reason, but I'm open to the possibility that Mitt Romney might be a more conservative President than we fear. I'm sensing a toughness in him that does not manifest in open confrontation and red meat soundbites that appeal to those of us looking for some sign that he will be a champion. He does things his way, and follows a plan. He attacks with the best of them and has the ability to stand back from the stabbing without a drop of blood on him, with a smile on his face as if he never drew the knife.

I think it is possible that the flip-flopping unprincipled Mitt Romney was a product of the political offices he held, and that running for the presidency is giving his life some clarifying purpose. I think he is a fundamentally good and decent person, and if there is ANYTHING I have come to believe as strongly as "the sun rises in the East", it is that Leftists cannot BE decent. Goodness and decency do not come from the Left. They come from people with conscience rooted in right things.

Can basic goodness and decency spur Mitt Romney to presidential greatness based on constitutional principle? As I said, naivete or wishes could be clouding my reason, but I see seeds in him. Not testicle "seeds", although I see some of that too. But seeds of a man who has the ability, agility, demeanor, plan, character, and resources to seize the moment, making his mark on American history.

Whoever the next president is will preside over our rebound, or our destruction. I don't see a third option.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
I have often thought that the Office elevated the man but the present inhabitant is the exception. And probably his predecessor, as well.

I agree that Romney is a decent man.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
Personally, I don't need the rally's or the rah rah speeches to believe the Tea PArty is effective. I don't go to rally's, protests or meetings, even though I can identify with the Tea Party. I believe there are many like me, paying attention, sending a dollar at times, etc.

Course, I want the Tea Party to me more like an ideal than a political party.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
Course, I want the Tea Party to me more like an ideal than a political party.

I think we're going to need a party to give our ideals legs before they die.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
I think it likely that this election will be the final chance for the GOP, there are simply too many people like us who realize only a complete 180 degree turn in direction in our current course can have a chance of peacefully restoring our Republic as it was Founded.  If the GOP captures the White House and both chambers of Congress and fails to perform to expectations then I think the GOP as a conservative party is dead.  The elites in the GOP may say our expectations were unreasonable (pure BS we know, if the Left can make the great lurches they've made it stands to reason capable leadership on the right could be equally effective) but as we well know what is truly unreasonable is the feckless leadership within the GOP we've been subject to.  The days of taking conservatives and Tea Party people for granted are drawing to a quick close, and many like us will leave the GOP en masse and let it go the way of the Whigs.  But finding a replacement party capable of competing on a national scale in all states is a Herculean task that would likely take several election cycles to complete, and even if it is successful in the end it may be too little too late, the entire country could be sucked into economic despair and a civil war before those fruits could be harvested.  It would be the right thing to do though, regardless.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
I hear what you're saying, Libertas.
Look how long the Libertarian Party has been around and how little influence and effect they have had.

They can't even get on the ballot in all 50 states.
Of course the cards are stacked pretty high against them.

I've been looking a little bit at the Constitution Party.

I still think most Tea Partiers are solid Republicans and will never leave

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
I hear what you're saying, Libertas.
Look how long the Libertarian Party has been around and how little influence and effect they have had.

They can't even get on the ballot in all 50 states.
Of course the cards are stacked pretty high against them.

I've been looking a little bit at the Constitution Party.

I still think most Tea Partiers are solid Republicans and will never leave

I think many of the Tea Party might rethink GOP membership if they screw the pooch again, but I guess we'll find out one way or the other.  I know I am not going to take it in the shorts anymore.

I looked at the Constitution Party before, I like much of what they stand for, but there are some problems areas.  For instance we cannot go back to the way it was 150-200 years ago on many things.

They are against conscription, but in case of a real national emergency calling up state militias is time consuming and would require (as in all cases where military intervention is required) a formal declaration of war by Congress.  In a run up event that latter is fine, in a "right now" emergency under the CP rules a President is hamstrung.

They are against Constitutional Conventions because of their "open ended" nature as to scope, but that is how the Founders wanted them, curious they have no problem tossing out that right.

They are against women in combat, and in front line areas (especially on the ground that is a concern, I would apply the "fireman" rule), piloting aircraft and such though, I dunno, could be a tough issue to get traction on.

And they want the Panama Canal back, good luck with that one, they would have to take by force, and that would violate their pretty firm isolationist foreign policy position.  I have no problem pulling out of NATO, Ashcanistan, Iraq & Japan, but they want us out of everything and never want us to go anywhere, and that is just not going to fly.

They want the voting rights act repealled and that alone could start a civil war, not that I am against the latter.

And going back to old electoral college rules and away from the "general ticket" seems DOA to me, I would not want to be a President stuck with some libiot asshat as my VP just because the asshat finished 2nd!

And they want paper ballots.  I guess they liked Florida 2000.  The new electronic machines scare me and how they can be manipulated, but a middle ground has to be sought.  Optical scanning seems to cover both needs adequately.  

Trade policy seems more isolationist than their foreign policy, which again could make a lot of enemies in the world, they might be making a lot of declarations of war or just devoured by multiple enemies while they debate what to do.

If they can clean up their platform a bit they could be a force, the 75% remaining I like a lot.  It's probably all moot anyway...odds are no new party will take root fast enough to avoid the inevitable.  But I will need a new home if/when the Pubbies screw me over again, if for only to be able to say "I am not one of them!"!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Thanks for the assessment.
I hadn't seem everything you listed and some of them would be tough to implement.

There is no party that each of us will 100% agree with.
In the end, it's the actions of those who are elected who determine whether it's just lip service or real principles

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »
Thanks for the assessment.
I hadn't seem everything you listed and some of them would be tough to implement.

There is no party that each of us will 100% agree with.In the end, it's the actions of those who are elected who determine whether it's just lip service or real principles

Agreed.

Truth!   ::thumbsup::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
But seeds of a man who has the ability, agility, demeanor, plan, character, and resources to seize the moment, making his mark on American history.

I pray your observation is accurate.

Thomas Jefferson