Author Topic: Tony Scott, brother of Ridley Scott, jumped to his death  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Tony Scott, brother of Ridley Scott, jumped to his death
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:39:28 AM »
We'll have to see the autopsy reports and presumably there is a suicide note, don't know him at all as a person, but I feel for the family.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tony-scott-20120820,0,398891.story
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Tony Scott, brother of Ridley Scott, jumped to his death
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
Of all the ways to commit suicide, I've never understood jumping. Not that I understand suicide at all, but it seems to me that if one is going to do it, quick and painless would be the way to go. Drawn out for agonizing seconds and filled with fear and regret seems masochistic.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:24 PM »
Of all the ways to commit suicide, I've never understood jumping. Not that I understand suicide at all, but it seems to me that if one is going to do it, quick and painless would be the way to go. Drawn out for agonizing seconds and filled with fear and regret seems masochistic.

well, if you don't want to wimp out--there's no changing your mind....

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »

well, if you don't want to wimp out--there's no changing your mind....

Speaking of changing your mind....

Last year, a high-schooler in my older boy's grade committed suicide. As the news got out, it was revealed that he tried to asphyxiate himself by starting the car with the garage door closed. Thing is, when they found him, he was on the garage floor by the stairs into the house, the car was running, and the car door was open. It appeared that he had second thoughts, and tried to make his way into the house, collapsed, and finished what he started.

So sad. His mother is tormented with the thought that in his final moments, her son chose to live, and failed.

I hate suicide. One of my best friends from high school killed himself, and I have always been angry with him since.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:45:41 AM »
I've had to many encounters with this phenomenon.  We had a couple in junior high I only knew of but didn't really know who did the car/garage thing, another guy I knew (but not well enough apparently, his choice not mine) dropped me off at another friends house back in high school and an hour later drove his mint mid-50's Chevy truck off a cliff.  You always wonder if there is more you could have done, and any way you slice it there has to be some indication from the person in question for any intervention to be possible.  I had no idea what my friend was going through and had I known I could have done something about it, but he was tight-lipped about his darkest issue and was embarassed to bring it up, I wish he had felt differently but there is nothing I could have done, I just didn't know in time.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
I used to wonder how anyone could even think suicide was the solution.  But I've come to realize that some people are in so much agony that they are not thinking clearly.  They just want the pain to be over. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:16:37 AM »
I agree LV, the pain (physical, mental & emotional) must just be too overwhelming for some to cope with on thier own.

I heard something about Scott having a brain tumor or something. 

I lost a cousin to brain cancer, she died just 30 years young, but she fought till the end.