Author Topic: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot  (Read 13308 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
They all won't back out till they do:

::asskicking::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »
And I'm still pissed.....professionalism aside, or should I state only our side does professionalism matter.

I'm not saying te guy shouldn't quit( I wouldn't)......I'm sick and tired of the double standard. I'm sick and tired that our side must to be friggin perfect in everything we do or say. I'm sick and tired of the left setting the parameters in which we base our professionalism, while little Timmy, uncle Charlie, the prez, the queer, and a host of others hold high office while conducting their lives in manners that at least should include jail time.

But here we are, the left beating us about the head once again, we are against women, wah, wah, wah. So let's dump this guy so they will stop....but they never stop.

And please, don't give me the "we must hold ourselves to a higher standard even if they dont" crap. I've already heard it from some of my friends and I don't give a damn. He friggin misspoke, he didn't turn his home into a whorehouse, resco didn't get him a sweet deal on a house, he didn't build a bridge to appreciate the value of his property, he isn't lying on a beach like a beached whale....

We want to speak about professionalism? Then let's begin to act like pros. Professionals do not allow the crap dems pull to stand. No, we allow the libs to choose for us when we must be professional and I'm sick of it.

I hope he doesn't quit. He could do our party a favor and make us grow a set. Somewhere in the white house, we are being mocked. Puppets on a string.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
I understand your frustration Don. Basic decency places a burden upon us that the Leftists exploit, and it never seems to have an end. We're constantly in the position of defending against lies and caricatures. Our supposed leaders are worse at doing so than us laymen seem to be, and it seems at times they art universally feckless.

That said, if the Left's "War on Wimmins" was an empty warhead, what Akin said was like handing them radioactive material and a detonator.

And it's not just what he said. It's what he thinks.

If he's going to make the case that aborting a child because of rape is compounding a crime with a murder, make the case. It is a valid point, not that far out of the mainstream of thought on the matter, and one that is not too difficult to make.

But to take it a step further and make false biological statements that play right into enemy hands, at just the moment when their supposed "war" was being accepted as demonstrably false - that is stupid; ignorant; amateur; radical.

McCaskill is among the very most vulnerable Democrats. She cynically voted for ObamaCare against the will of the people of Missouri. She MUST be defeated. MUST. The Senate MUST be turned over to GOP hands in order to undo ObamaCare. All eyes and effort must be on that goal. Failing means the loss of the Republic, if it's not too late already. The country cannot survive the full implementation of ObamaCare.

Do we want our candidate to be one who is so stupid that he would nuke his own campaign a day before the deadline to drop out? Do we want such a person running against the experienced McCaskill? Can we afford to risk losing this race in order to stand by a man whose sentiment might be in the right place, even though his intellect and mouth betray him?

I don't think so. But I respect your opinion.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
I thought we wanted to take the senate back and relegate dirty harry to the back bench?

I don't care if aiken said something stupid or not. democrats say worse everyday without punishment.

But, ok, his opinion on rape and abortion is more important to us than taking the senate back. I understand that.

.NOT.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
I thought we wanted to take the senate back and relegate dirty harry to the back bench?

I don't care if aiken said something stupid or not. democrats say worse everyday without punishment.

But, ok, his opinion on rape and abortion is more important to us than taking the senate back. I understand that.

.NOT.

I think the point is, his statement on abortion and rape places the imperative of taking the senate back at unnecessary risk.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »
Akin has done nothing wrong; he said something, and it was nothing "egregious" about race which seems to be the Gold Standard for shunning these days, but repeated something medically inaccurate and old wive's tale-y.

He's apologized at least twice now, admitting his error.  He's still polling ahead of McCaskill in MO.

This whole thing is stupid.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
Yeah, but he was the E-GOP choice and who is leading the charge on the Pubbie side to push him aside?  Yup, old guard E-GOPer's.  If people would just stop being led by the nose by the E-GOP and think for crying out loud we wouldn't even be talking about this because there would have been a better candidate going up against C.McCasket!

The E-GOP is usually throwing out conservatives and Tea Party candidates...we lost Bachmann in the POTUS race over an "inaccurate statement"...I'm having a hard time caring about one of the E-GOP's own getting thrown to the wolves...these critters go by the motto "when the going gets tough, we run and hide"...why is this such a stunner?

Plus, instead of getting ahead of the storm the Pubbies are once more playing catch up...Democrat-Media Complex is saying bad things about the GOP, that alone guarantees the E-GOP will surrender, it's in their DNA, it's what they do.

Just more symptoms of a dying party and illustrative of the idiocy of the party and the people selecting candidates.  Kinda hard to recruit courage when you have none yourself.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
Akin has done nothing wrong; he said something...

He also thought something. Something terribly moronic that hands the Leftists a "see we told you so" club with which to beat the entire Republican party until the election. It puts Missouri at risk for the Senate and even the Presidency and down-ticket. For what?

...He's still polling ahead of McCaskill in MO...

Apparently not. Ace dissects the latest post-statement PPP poll. They OVER-sampled Republicans by +9 in order to give Akin a +1 edge over McCaskill, presumably to give him something to point to to justify his staying in the race.

I'll let ACE say it:
Since PPP decided it can't help itself, I've done you all a service.
I went through their ridiculous R+9 sample and ONLY changed the D/R/I proportions to match previous elections, and an even turnout.
With R+9, PPP's headline screams Akin up by 1. It is an obvious, sick ploy to get this delusional Bio101 flunkie to stay in and cost us a seat.

Here are the real numbers:
If turnout in November matches 2008 (it won't):
McCaskill 49.25% Akin 39% (this is a D+6 turnout model)

If turnout in November is even, an incredible feat for the GOP considering heavy turnout in St Louis and Kansas City during an election year:
McCaskill 47% Akin 40%.

If turnout in November matches the best we have ever seen in the state (R+3 during 2010):
McCaskill 45% Akin 41%.

McCaskill is a dead duck if we dump Akin. The other candidates from the primary were crushing her up and down. To trail her by four in a best-case scenario is inexcusable at this point.

The fact that PPP had to triple the best R margin ever just to get Akin over McCaskill screams agenda polling, but they will never admit to that, so I'm calling them out on it, and it's time for you to spread the word. PPP's "Akin still leads" poll is garbage, the approval rating for Akin with this huge R spread is a God-awful 24%, and McCaskill hasn't cut one rape ad yet.

This whole thing is stupid

Can't argue with that. But that doesn't change the fact that this whole thing is, stupid or not. It must be dealt with now, or in November. I choose now.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
In contrast to Todd Akin, I give you ....

Democratic leaders in Minnesota are demanding a state lawmaker withdraw from his re-election bid after police claim he admitted to having sex with a 17-year-old boy at a rest stop.

While Rep. Kerry Gauthier, 56, will lose support from fellow Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party members if he continues with his campaign, party leaders stopped short Monday of asking him to immediately resign.

The first-term legislator wasn’t charged in the alleged July 22 encounter because the legal age of consent in Minnesota is 16 and no money was exchanged, according to the St. Louis County attorney’s office. Police say the two had oral sex behind a rest stop pavilion in Duluth after the teen responded to Gauthier’s Craigslist ad looking for a “no strings attached” sex.

Police reports made public last week say Gauthier came clean about the rest stop rendezvous.

Link

Almost a month old and, no, it's not a national race, but we haven't heard squat, have we?

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
Free man-boy love is fully supported by the Democrat-Media Complex, nobody was raped, no bad thoughts detected and he's a good democrat...thus the free pass!

Oh, and it takes a hell of a lot more to get a Dem to stop fighting, as opposed to your average Pubbie...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
Who wants to suddenly realize we are one vote short of repealing Obamacare because Claire McCaskill is still the Senator from Missouri?  Apparently Akin doesn't GAS because it's all about him.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
Oh My Gawds!  He thought something!  Exactly what holier-than-them higher standard are "we" holding ourselves to here anyway, hmm, since what the man said, and thought, is merely moronic and not something bad he's done or said?  Are "we" in the business of enforcing the politically correct standards of the Left now?

Fine, then.  I predict this sort of nonsense will bite in the end.  And now that I've said my piece, I'm done with it.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
In contrast to Todd Akin, I give you ....

Democratic leaders in Minnesota are demanding a state lawmaker withdraw from his re-election bid after police claim he admitted to having sex with a 17-year-old boy at a rest stop.

While Rep. Kerry Gauthier, 56, will lose support from fellow Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party members if he continues with his campaign, party leaders stopped short Monday of asking him to immediately resign.

The first-term legislator wasn’t charged in the alleged July 22 encounter because the legal age of consent in Minnesota is 16 and no money was exchanged, according to the St. Louis County attorney’s office. Police say the two had oral sex behind a rest stop pavilion in Duluth after the teen responded to Gauthier’s Craigslist ad looking for a “no strings attached” sex.

Police reports made public last week say Gauthier came clean about the rest stop rendezvous.

Link

Almost a month old and, no, it's not a national race, but we haven't heard squat, have we?

It's been in the news up here. Not to the degree that it would be if he were a Republican or a Christian minister, but it hasn't been ignored.

I get your point though. The double standard is an egregious offense. It needs to stop, and it will - one way or the other.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »
Oh My Gawds!  He thought something!  Exactly what holier-than-them higher standard are "we" holding ourselves to here anyway, hmm, since what the man said, and thought, is merely moronic and not something bad he's done or said?  Are "we" in the business of enforcing the politically correct standards of the Left now?

In the broader sense this is and has been for some time the E-GOP standard.  We (us here) are not condining this, the lack of a spine in the GOP brought us here.  Now that it is out there and the party is turning on him, he's dead meat no matter what now and the Dem's will "Macaca" his butt through election day.  But we'll see what happens, Akin says he is not bowing out.

Fine, then.  I predict this sort of nonsense will bite in the end.  And now that I've said my piece, I'm done with it.

It's the GOP, self-flaggelation while Dem's don't do as they say is how they like to roll...

I'm done too, but with Akin staying in and the GOP urging capitulation the merry-go-round of BS will roil the news wires for quite a while, and Obama, C.McCaskett & the Dem's the distraction they so desired.

Rah, Team!

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
Oh My Gawds!  He thought something!  Exactly what holier-than-them higher standard are "we" holding ourselves to here anyway, hmm, since what the man said, and thought, is merely moronic and not something bad he's done or said?  Are "we" in the business of enforcing the politically correct standards of the Left now?

Fine, then.  I predict this sort of nonsense will bite in the end.  And now that I've said my piece, I'm done with it.

By saying he "thought" something, I intended to indicate that he more than simply "said" something - he uttered what he believes, and what he believes is moronic, and demonstrates (to me at least) that he is not the man who conservatives should support for this office at this time. The stakes are too damned high.

I'm not enforcing PC standards of the Left. I simply want our candidate for Senate against the moronic Claire McCaskill to not be a moron. I want the best chance to beat her. Akin ain't it.

ETA: If we had heeded the warning signs in 2010, with Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell, we might not have ObamaCare to undo right now. I don't see why we ought not learn a lesson from those mistakes. In my opinion, we have to support the most conservative candidate who can win. Akin just sent up a flare that gives us a glaring warning.

“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down..."

"I am not a witch."

"I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me."

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:05:44 PM by Pandora »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
In my house my children can't argue BUT THEY DO IT.  No, not in my house.

They do get a second chance but they have to take their lumps first.

I agree in that it's not "fair" that we have to abide by a higher standard.  But if that is the hand we're dealt we need to make the most of it.  We have STANDARDS unlike the Democrats who let anything go.  We should stress that.  Forced to take the high road we should flaunt it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
IDP, I messed up and hit "modify" on your last post instead of "quote" as I intended.  Mea culpa.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
OK, so Akin is guilty of saying something that is stupid. He refuses to step down.

Now what?

Do we go full out and support him against the democrat?

Or, do we side with the democrats and help them defeat him?

To me, this is an easy decision.

To me, the biggest mistake was the GOP jumping in and demanding that he step down. That was the stupidist, if you want to rate 'them' versus Akin.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:20:58 PM by radioman »
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
Oh My Gawds!  He thought something!  Exactly what holier-than-them higher standard are "we" holding ourselves to here anyway, hmm, since what the man said, and thought, is merely moronic and not something bad he's done or said?  Are "we" in the business of enforcing the politically correct standards of the Left now?

Fine, then.  I predict this sort of nonsense will bite in the end.  And now that I've said my piece, I'm done with it.

By saying he "thought" something, I intended to indicate that he more than simply "said" something - he uttered what he believes, and what he believes is moronic, and demonstrates (to me at least) that he is not the man who conservatives should support for this office at this time. The stakes are too damned high.

The stakes are very high, and I am concerned about it as well.  What I am equally concerned about is the EGOP's rush to dump this guy, after promoting him above the others, so it seems to me a lot of the worry about ceding that Senatorial seat is due to their pantywaist tactics.

I'm not enforcing PC standards of the Left. I simply want our candidate for Senate against the moronic Claire McCaskill to not be a moron. I want the best chance to beat her. Akin ain't it.

IDP, I agree about the best chance to beat her.  Akin, however, is technically not our candidate, he's Missouri's.  They hold an open primary and the Dems spent a wad supporting him because he's the guy they wanted McCaskill to run against.  Because he's pro-life.

ETA: If we had heeded the warning signs in 2010, with Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell, we might not have ObamaCare to undo right now. I don't see why we ought not learn a lesson from those mistakes. In my opinion, we have to support the most conservative candidate who can win. Akin just sent up a flare that gives us a glaring warning.

As I understand it, Rove and his fellow travelers -- the EGOP again -- dumped on Angle and O'Donnell after the primaries.  Looks to me like our problem is not so much candidates who occasionally say something moronic as the Ruling Class Republicans.

“If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down..."

Yes, I agree.  Moronic.

"I am not a witch."

"I don't know that all of you are Latino. Some of you look a little more Asian to me."

I have no idea who said that last.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:19:30 PM by Pandora »

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
I think the damage done by this guy withdrawing his candidacy would be short term. Then the Repubs could move on. Basically, they could say we got rid of our stupid guy and you dems still have yours. (Though when Ryan withdrew in Illinois repubs weren't so lucky and they got BO as senator--thanks to the RINOs in the state)

On the otherhand, I think if I were in Missouri and he stayed in I would throw all my support behind him.  Because we have to show strength in the face of these bullies who run the opposition.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."