Author Topic: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot  (Read 13299 times)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: Todd Akin, MO's R Senate candidate, opens mouth inserts foot
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
After the GOP jumped in and dumped their support for him, all the damage was done. Longterm and shortterm.

There is nothing that the GOP/akin can do now to satisfy the democrats. After all these years, I don't know why people still believe otherwise.  ::whatgives::
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 03:04:37 PM »
I thought we wanted to take the senate back and relegate dirty harry to the back bench?

I don't care if aiken said something stupid or not. democrats say worse everyday without punishment.

But, ok, his opinion on rape and abortion is more important to us than taking the senate back. I understand that.

.NOT.

If akin stays in the race, we are about to find out something about our party, if it is really true that we must not lose this race. If Obama(care) is so destructive, so obtrusive, so overbearing, so expensive, then if he, by some, makes the mistake and stays in the race, will we structure the argument that while he said something stupid, he still exhibits solid conservative values worthy of support over a politician who went against the will of her state and supported obsma(care)..... Or was all that talk to defeat Obama....just talk.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
No, the GOP has cut the cord with this guy. He can expect zero official party support now. It is the only way they can plausibly insulate every other GOP candidate including Romney/Ryan from the Democrats' efforts to hang the issue around all their necks.

Yes, it's a double standard. But that's the reality we live in. The only way this country can hope to survive the fundamental transformation is to effectively run the table this November. That means taking the White House and Senate, and keeping the House. There were other good conservatives in that primary. Why can't he step aside and let one of them take the fight to McCaskill? We now have a probable Senate pick up put back in doubt, and for what?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
I guess the republicans want a standard where their candidates can never make a false statement or stupid statement. So, then there will never be a candidate worthy enuff for the republicans.

That sounds like a 'winning' strategy to me.  ::evil::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
oh lookie - he was a paid democrats stooge. Kinda figured when I heard what he said ( You should have seen CNN gloating over it this morning - i was forced to watch in a McDonald's of all places)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-spent-1.5-mil-to-help-akin-win-gop-primary/article/2505373#.UDN9H91lREM

Call it a wise investment in light of his recent comments: Democrats wanted Missouri Republican congressman Todd Akin to win his state’s hotly contested Senate GOP primary because they believed he gave incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill her best shot at retaining her seat.

Or the spent 1.5 mill to get him the nomination and another 1.5 Mil to pay him off and to create this distraction for them.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 03:47:24 PM »
oh lookie - he was a paid democrats stooge. Kinda figured when I heard what he said ( You should have seen CNN gloating over it this morning - i was forced to watch in a McDonald's of all places)

http://washingtonexaminer.com/democrats-spent-1.5-mil-to-help-akin-win-gop-primary/article/2505373#.UDN9H91lREM

Call it a wise investment in light of his recent comments: Democrats wanted Missouri Republican congressman Todd Akin to win his state’s hotly contested Senate GOP primary because they believed he gave incumbent Senator Claire McCaskill her best shot at retaining her seat.

Or the spent 1.5 mill to get him the nomination and another 1.5 Mil to pay him off and to create this distraction for them.

the new dem strategy?  So now we know.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »

Was he a democrat stooge for the 15 years he served in the house? .NOT.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
That last comment was Sharron Angle's Pan, to a group of Latino Nevadans.

I'm going to walk back just a bit, and agree with radioman's point about the GOP's jumping in to smash this guy.

They believed they could force him out of the race. Now he's damaged goods. We'll have the same dynamic as we did in 2010 with the Roveites bashing Akin, even though he's the primary victor.

A smart party would have made no official comment, approached Akin behind the scenes, demanded he step down, and waited to see what he would do. If he stepped down at that point, they could have praised his integrity. If he didn't, they could've devised a strategy for dealing with the political fallout.

Now, it is all fallout, all the time. No way back. He's staying in, and the GOP is already on record as condemning him. No walking that back. He's doomed, and so is the chance to unseat McCaskill, barring something unforeseen.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
If we lack the ability to repeal Obamacare by 1 Senate vote, this prick owns it lock stock and barrel.

- Yours Truly

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »

If we lack the ability to repeal Obamacare by 1 Senate vote, the GOP owns it lock stock and barrel for not supporting their candidates.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
   Send money!!He may be an ass but he's our ass.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »
That last comment was Sharron Angle's Pan, to a group of Latino Nevadans.

I'm going to walk back just a bit, and agree with radioman's point about the GOP's jumping in to smash this guy.

They believed they could force him out of the race. Now he's damaged goods. We'll have the same dynamic as we did in 2010 with the Roveites bashing Akin, even though he's the primary victor.

A smart party would have made no official comment, approached Akin behind the scenes, demanded he step down, and waited to see what he would do. If he stepped down at that point, they could have praised his integrity. If he didn't, they could've devised a strategy for dealing with the political fallout.

Now, it is all fallout, all the time. No way back. He's staying in, and the GOP is already on record as condemning him. No walking that back. He's doomed, and so is the chance to unseat McCaskill, barring something unforeseen.

As I said...We are the dems puppets, their toy.....We mishandled him because the lib party poo poo'd us. We were reactionary. Held us to a standard they don't live.We paniced. So now, the prideful party we are, we'll walk away from him. For all I know, the way the pubbies act, they were in on the dem fix. Probably fronted the money libs spent on Akins campaign.

Might as well make misatke #2. Walk away pubbies, we are the party of principle. ::smileykissup:: ::kiss-my-ass::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 07:44:31 PM »

If we lack the ability to repeal Obamacare by 1 Senate vote, the GOP owns it lock stock and barrel for not supporting their candidates.

You don't support a gangrenous limb, you cut it off. How we got to this point is now irrelevant, what's important is the way things are. The fact is what would have been an easy pick up in the Senate is now going to probably stay in Dem hands and it may tar other big races including President.

At this point I don't care if he got a raw deal. He's dead weight. This is not any other election. This is the last one that will count for anything. Getting rid of Democrats is priority #1, and regardless of how it came to be this way the fact is it is this way: another candidate would have a much easier time of defeating McCaskill.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »

You don't support a gangrenous limb, you cut it off. How we got to this point is now irrelevant, what's important is the way things are. The fact is what would have been an easy pick up in the Senate is now going to probably stay in Dem hands and it may tar other big races including President.

At this point I don't care if he got a raw deal. He's dead weight. This is not any other election. This is the last one that will count for anything. Getting rid of Democrats is priority #1, and regardless of how it came to be this way the fact is it is this way: another candidate would have a much easier time of defeating McCaskill.

Which gangerenous limb? Mccaskil? Obama? Akin?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
Akin is the gangrenous limb to the extent that he is now significantly wounded in his ability to defeat his Democratic opponent. That's the name of the game isn't it?

It's all a moot point now. He's staying in the race. We'll see how it turns out.

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »

Was he a democrat stooge for the 15 years he served in the house? .NOT.

Maybe this year they finally found his price.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Akin is the gangrenous limb to the extent that he is now significantly wounded in his ability to defeat his Democratic opponent. That's the name of the game isn't it?

It's all a moot point now. He's staying in the race. We'll see how it turns out.

He is running against a dem who went against the will of the people and voted for obamacare. At one point, she was obamas favorite stooge. She's been in more wrecks than evil kinevil....but our guy is damaged goods.

Our party is lost.we can't handle one poor statement. We've so regressed as a party that we can't figure out how to turn this around.

It's like a football game, we were up by 50 and gave up a meaningless score.......now we think we can't win. It's not that we can't win, we've lost the will to win. We've forgotten how.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »

He is running against a dem who went against the will of the people and voted for obamacare. At one point, she was obamas favorite stooge. She's been in more wrecks than evil kinevil....but our guy is damaged goods.

Our party is lost.we can't handle one poor statement. We've so regressed as a party that we can't figure out how to turn this around.

It's like a football game, we were up by 50 and gave up a meaningless score.......now we think we can't win. It's not that we can't win, we've lost the will to win. We've forgotten how.

Bingo.  I'm with you.  And I'm disgustipated.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:10 AM »
   Send money!!He may be an ass but he's our ass.
Considering MO open primary, that makes it their blunder. Most ridiculous election policy will give you the most ridiculous results and since the GOP really didn't have a choice in forcing yet another bad candidate on the people I can say without reservation this is what you get when common logic is absent.
You may as well as our enemies to participate in our elections over all, oh wait....
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »

Again, this is the feckless moderate GOP we've all begun to loath and despise.  They are not comprised of a majority of fighters or principled conservatives interested in what this nation was founded upon.  If this is what it takes to illustrate the point for some people that is fine, but people the time for supporting this guy has passed, it's over regardless if we want to think differently, because the GOP is not going to suddenly change its mind and say "Oops, sorry, we really want to stand up for this guy who is being unfairly attacked over a simple misstatement"!  It ain't gonna happen, that is not the GOP way.  We are stuck with two lousy choices now - pick a new candidate or stick with this guy and likely lose.  That's it.

As far as the GOP is concerned I am done trying to get them to change.  It is ALL on THEM.  I've said all along this is the LAST CHANCE for the GOP to exist as a major national political party, and judging from this episode the trend continues to suck.  I do not expect them to change, I do not expect them to learn, I do not expect an outcome different than what we have already seen year after year.

If this is the last free election we have, so be it, I will deem it to be the will of God.  

ETA  -

"Todd Akin's comments were offensive and wrong and he should very seriously consider what course would be in the best interest of our country. Today, his fellow Missourians urged him to step aside, and I think he should accept their counsel and exit the Senate race," Mr. Romney said in a statement from his campaign.

Read more: Romney tells Akin to go - Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/aug/21/romney-tells-akin-to-go/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:19:51 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.