Author Topic: Lest we forget: Indiana Fleebaggers still AWOL  (Read 1498 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Lest we forget: Indiana Fleebaggers still AWOL
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Lawless, shameless Democrats who don't want to abide by the results of free and fair elections thwarted democracy in Wisconsin, and still attempt to put sticks in the spokes of the people's will there.

But because of the great lengths they went to in Wisconsin, their malfeasance in other parts of the country has not gotten the attention it deserves. For almost five weeks now, the Democrats in the Indiana legislature have been hiding in Illinois, refusing to do their jobs, preventing a necessary quorum, and thwarting democracy.

Fleeing the jurisdiction: the Left's new filibuster.

Lest we forget: Indiana Fleebaggers still AWOL

Republicans control every Statehouse power base -- governor, Senate and House -- but they remain virtually powerless to enact laws so long as 39 House Democrats remain holed up in an Urbana, Ill., hotel.

For now, at least, Indiana's GOP majority has been outmaneuvered.

Those 39 Democrats managed to shut down the House for a month and win concessions from Republicans on labor and education bills -- and they're angling for more.

As long as they hang together -- and thus far the House Democrats are withstanding fines, the threat of censure and blistering accusations that they are derelict in their duty -- the legislature is at an impasse.

Without them, the House lacks the quorum it needs to do business.

As the stalemate headed toward its fifth week Thursday, Republicans said they were done playing around. They're going to move on without the House Democrats. The Senate will take control to salvage bills that have been caught up in the House ruckus.

But they can't get around the one inescapable truth:

Nothing that hasn't already passed the House can become law unless House Democrats return. Not a budget. Not new legislative maps. Not the education reforms that Gov. Mitch Daniels calls his top priority.

The need for a quorum is the Democrats' trump card. Republicans can shame them, fine them and ignore them. They can cut off their ability to offer amendments. But unlike Wisconsin, where Democrats also fled the state in a showdown over collective bargaining, they can't pass bills without them.

For this legislative session to end by the April 29 deadline, Republicans need to get Democrats to check out of their Illinois hotel and into their Statehouse seats. And for that to happen, someone will have to compromise.

And what then?

The fear that House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, and Senate President Pro Tempore David Long share: If Democrats, outnumbered 60-40 in the House and 37-13 in the Senate, think they are winning this battle of wills, boycotts could become a regular legislative tactic across the nation. Much the same way, Democrats point out, that minority Republicans have used the filibuster in the U.S. Senate to prevent votes on things they don't like.

That would mark a departure from past practice. Walkouts have been used by both parties. But they typically focus on a single issue and end after a couple of days when the majority makes a few tweaks that let the minority declare victory and return. Not this year...

Much more @ link....
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Lest we forget: Indiana Fleebaggers still AWOL
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
Beck pointed out this play is the rock in machinery.

Daniels better get his poop in a group and make a decisive move.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
Beck pointed out this play is the rock in machinery.

Daniels better get his poop in a group and make a decisive move.

According to this article, without a quorum, there's no move he can make.

Although, trying times require innovative measures. The Left doesn't seem to have any qualms about finding ways to circumvent the law. Will the genteel Mr. Daniels grow a pair of testicles?
 ::popcorn::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
Daniels?  Grow a set?

That would be bad form...er, tone!

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Daniels?  Grow a set?

Maybe he'll call a "truce" with the fleebaggers.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
Daniels?  Grow a set?

Maybe he'll call a "truce" with the fleebaggers.

Yeah.

That's just as good as surrendering!

::hysterical::

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.