Author Topic: Neil Armstrong, 82  (Read 1323 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Neil Armstrong, 82
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, and then lived on to see the day when an American president would redefine NASA's mission to be one of Muslim outreach. I speculate that his "giant leap" didn't lead anywhere he could've possibly imagined.

First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.

Armstrong underwent a heart-bypass surgery earlier this month, just two days after his birthday on August 5, to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he stepped on the moon's dusty surface, Armstrong said: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

The Apollo 11 moon mission turned out to be Armstrong's last space flight. The following year he was appointed to a desk job, being named NASA's deputy associate administrator for aeronautics in the office of advanced research and technology.

He left NASA a year later to become a professor of engineering at the University of Cincinnati.

The former astronaut lived in the Cincinnati area with his wife, Carol.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:40:03 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Neil Armstrong, 82
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
Godspeed, Neil!

::USA::
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:23:13 PM »
A TRUE American hero. God Bless, Neil. ::praying::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:46:37 AM »
NBC actually reported that it was Neil Young who had died. No kidding.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 05:30:07 AM »
NBC actually reported that it was Neil Young who had died. No kidding.

The news media scares me as much as just about anything.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »
RIP Neil! 

As a kid I loved the entire Apollo program, and I still remember that night in July 1969...staying up late to watch the whole thing...my father just about came out of his skin he jumped up so fast the moment Neil touched the lunar surface.

Good memories.

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:08:12 PM »
The official WH response to Neil Armstrong's passing is about what you would expect.

I can't wait to vote against this asshole.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
It's all about the "O", trap.  Always.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 06:32:47 AM »
Being a classless despicable douche is his bread and butter.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
Another truly great one from a time gone by.  RIP.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:33 AM »
Special Iowahawk Guest Commentary
By Barack Obama, Stargazer-in-Chief

When I learned of the untimely passing of Neil Armstrong I was, like all Americans, deeply moved and saddened. I share your sense of loss for this American hero, even if his fame had been eclipsed by others over the years. But in our shared moment of grief, let us also celebrate his historic accomplishment in becoming the first astronaut eulogized by me, Barack Obama, our nation's historic first African-American president.

Neil's passing gives all of us all pause to consider deeper questions. What does it mean for the future of space exploration? How proud would Neil have been to have a famous historic president refer to him by first name? And, most importantly, how did his death inspire that historic president to make ever more gigantic leaps for mankind?

For one thing, it inspired me to venture off on a historic twilight photo mission in a Maryland cabbage field. There I stood, gazing into the night sky, providing a dramatic backlit silhouette of inspiration for generations of future space explorers. In the centuries to come, space fans around the world will look to this indelible dorm poster image of Barack Obama, representing humankind's enduring pioneering spirit of exploration, and be spurred to dream their impossible dreams of Obama-like accomplishment.

As I stood looking into the night sky, at the billions upon billions of stars twinkling across their celestial field, amid the clicking of the photographer's shutter, I couldn't help but wonder if there were other life forms - perhaps other civilizations - out there. If so, were they looking back at us? Could they have powerful enough telescopes to see our planet in detail, and to observe the many ways I have worked tirelessly to make Earth a better place? Has my example served as an inspiration to the faraway aliens to work for their own extraterrestrial hope and change?

It was a moment that drove home to me just how significant I am in the grand scheme of things. As a result, I returned to the Oval Office with a renewed spirit to push the envelope, to strike out into the unknown, whether it be the vast expanses of space or the 2013 federal debt ceiling.

Yes, it is true that only a select few of us can ever aspire to be a Neil Armstrong or a Barack Obama. But I hope Neil and I have encouraged you to enrich yourselves from that vast, rich, empty blinking array of stars.

Which reminds me, I have another fundraising trip to George Clooney's house next week.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:13 AM »
Somebody ought to tell Iowahawk there are grave risks to channeling too deeply into the mind of the Dark One!