Author Topic: Generators in use by IAL members of 6000W +  (Read 8759 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Generators in use by IAL members of 6000W +
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »

I understand and appreciate.  Seems continuity is not a strong suite around here. The search feature also leaves out or skips. I've entered search words that am certain exist and it comes up empty.

As to the Generator Topic, we never had one.  We just talk about them often.
Here's a few that may be helpful:

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,6391.msg71850.html#msg71850

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,23.msg56.html#msg56

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,23.msg61.html#msg61

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,23.msg69.html#msg69

Scroll to "When I got my first portable generator"  I think it's by Soup

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,2358.msg26728.html#msg26728

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,23.msg56.html#msg56

That's it!  That's the thread I was looking for and I bet it's the one Libertas remembered as well.  It's a mess of a thread because I was importing posts from IAF, in a hurry and without knowing a better way to get it done.

I'm pinning that sucker.  Thanks, CO.

BTW, wonder what happened to Nolan?  I liked him.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:27:32 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »

Would it be expensive for us to have our own server?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
Yup, that thread rings some bells, gonna scour that in depth tonight!   ::whoohoo::

As to Weisshaupts point I am stuck trying to be King Solomon and split the baby in half...we (most siblings and BIL) want as long a term solution as possible for life after grid collapse, my folks are wanting that but also want to get by when power is just interreupted and there is limited funding - they have their fixed income and we have discreationary income of which there is not much.  We've spent a lot on other/smaller stuff, what is left if bigger ticket stuff and getting everybody to agree is tough.  We are looking into a hand pump on a second well, and most of us have thought out your 5 points, most are aware, how ready everyone is I have my doubts...I've been pushing for more work on the non-financial "planning & scenario/option" stuff while we are saving up for our next purchases...it's hard to get everybody on the same page for a lot of things and upping the up front costs can have people shut down and run off screaming "I can't handle this right now"...OK not everybody does that but there is a saturation point for people and for those with kids and new grandkids and activities galore getting people to act on stuff can be tough.  And talking about firearms and self0defense of any kind sends my SIL into her room, she'll just stay home and wait to die when the SHTF, she has no desire to live in a crashed society.  We have plans to use lake as best we can, no stream, I had fancy dreams of building a sort of Archimedian screw to create flow for power generation but I might just be pulling that idea out my ass.  We have a number of grills we can burn wood in as well as the fire pit I built, and thanks to last years storm (and our own woods) we have a lot of wood to burn, how many years it would last I dunno.  I'm doing the best I can and doing everything but grabbing noses and kicking butts...which might feel good but get me absolutely nowhere with this group and quite likely set me back.

-Sisyphus
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Yup, that thread rings some bells, gonna scour that in depth tonight!   ::whoohoo::

As to Weisshaupts point I am stuck trying to be King Solomon and split the baby in half...we (most siblings and BIL) want as long a term solution as possible for life after grid collapse, my folks are wanting that but also want to get by when power is just interreupted and there is limited funding - they have their fixed income and we have discreationary income of which there is not much.  We've spent a lot on other/smaller stuff, what is left if bigger ticket stuff and getting everybody to agree is tough.  We are looking into a hand pump on a second well, and most of us have thought out your 5 points, most are aware, how ready everyone is I have my doubts...I've been pushing for more work on the non-financial "planning & scenario/option" stuff while we are saving up for our next purchases...it's hard to get everybody on the same page for a lot of things and upping the up front costs can have people shut down and run off screaming "I can't handle this right now"...OK not everybody does that but there is a saturation point for people and for those with kids and new grandkids and activities galore getting people to act on stuff can be tough.  And talking about firearms and self0defense of any kind sends my SIL into her room, she'll just stay home and wait to die when the SHTF, she has no desire to live in a crashed society.  We have plans to use lake as best we can, no stream, I had fancy dreams of building a sort of Archimedian screw to create flow for power generation but I might just be pulling that idea out my ass.  We have a number of grills we can burn wood in as well as the fire pit I built, and thanks to last years storm (and our own woods) we have a lot of wood to burn, how many years it would last I dunno.  I'm doing the best I can and doing everything but grabbing noses and kicking butts...which might feel good but get me absolutely nowhere with this group and quite likely set me back.

-Sisyphus

It's the truth, Libs.  One can only do so much working with people who are not totally on the same page and with limited funds.  Ya takes what ya can gets.

I *think* my mother and I are on the same page and then something she says has me realize her idea of "stocked up" and mine are vastly different.

My brother was supposed to get a guy to replace the folks' breaker box/panel so we could work on getting them a generator, but no progress on that front due to his heart problems.  So .... I have to nag gently via long distance.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
We are looking into a hand pump on a second well, and most of us have thought out your 5 points, most are aware, how ready everyone is I have my doubts...

A Second Well? Round here that is a 20K hole and it might come up dry- even 20 ft from a working hole.  This can  probably share the current well casing - http://www.simplepump.com/OUR-PUMPS/Hand-Operated.html - It also isn't cheap, but way cheaper than a second well.

I have a buddy having the same issues with his family - which include an Aunt he deeply loves, who is marrying a useless drunk, a step-father whose plan is to die before SHTF, and his mother who is for the most part on-board, but paralyzed by doubt and the reluctance of other family members.  His parents have a huge  Ranch with a river  a mile away - plentiful game, good farming and pasture. - but they aren't doing anything to prep it. He started on his own with a smaller place and went in with his Aunt, but the Drunk is F'ing up that situation so bad he is ready to bail on it and start over.  

I have a doctor in my group - he bought a place near mine, but has done nothing ( 0, nada, zip- not even spent the weekend)  since.
Not taking it seriously- for sure.

Of course, my immediate  family, being liberal , is out of the picture from the get go- and the more I learn the more it seems a blessing.  I am trying to get this buddy to throw in with us - but it means "giving up" on his family and he understandably isn't ready to "go there" yet. ( I told them we can plan to have them join him.. but Colo isn't "home")  Bottom line, the best people to prep with may not be your family - or at least not all of it.  No one wants to admit it, but triage is a process that is and must be on the table. As I said to CO, dying for Love isn't the best plan. None of us are ready, and won't be till after the event occurs - because there are so many unknowns in how this will go down. I am a cold, logical heartless bastard. I just do the math.  Conservatives are supposed to concentrate on the unpleasant things in images- well I do that in spades. I may not be happy, but my eyes are open.  Our society has created a number of individuals who just won't (can't) accept that tough choices are going to have to be made, and if you wait for them to "come around"  you will be waiting literally until doomsday.

You need to get the willing people into the room, discuss what scenarios you are planning for (we are not prepping for an EMP for instance), what you are leaving to chance, and what the plan is, what priorities are, and  then you can then decide how to pay for it. Write it all down - family or no, writing keeps things from "changing" --at least without agreement.  If its $50 a month from each person, then that is what it is and you proceed as quickly as you can at that pace- you may even want to make this part of your C-Corporation...   If someone "comes around" and wants to join the pact- that is another $50 a month and maybe a late joiner fee- but the plan don't change.  They are lucky that you are allowing them to "join" - stipulate shares and specify how things will be liquidated if the partnership breaks up, and under what circumstances that can be - ( an individual leaving gets nothing) a vote of half of the members results in liquidation - or whatever. It won't prevent problems, but at least there is an agreed to method of dealing with them.  

Ideally you have both a Gen AND a PV system. If the group decides that the Gen comes first (and it probably should, because a 7 day outage is way more likely than a 2 year outage) - then it comes first - but that purchase is made with an eye to the long term plan- i.e. supplementing a PV system in a long term situation - and that probably DOES NOT mean gas. Diesel or Propane, and only enough to run the Absolute minimum people are willing to accept.  

charlesoakwood

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 01:42:40 PM »
You need to get the willing people into the room, discuss what scenarios you are planning for (we are not prepping for an EMP for instance), what you are leaving to chance, and what the plan is, what priorities are, and  then you can then decide how to pay for it.

I don't think true viable crews will be formed until after the event.

Write it all down - family or no, writing keeps things from "changing" --at least without agreement.
!!!

Getting the folks squared away for some short term storm outage and a long term event are two separate items, if part of the short term may be used for dual purpose, all to the good.

EMP bugs me.  There is very little prep discussion and it would be so easy
for Ima DinnerJacket fire a scud from a freighter and turn out our lights or a
Chinaman writing some hot code and doing the same.  At that time he who
has a generator would rule......if it would run.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_fuel-transfer-lubrication+fuel-transfer-storage+fuel-caddies

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
You've probably go it timed so the compressors don't start at the same time.  ACs and the fridge and the freezer at one time will pull a lot of amps.

I don't time them, the fridge kicks on more frequent than the freezer.

Also, for heating water with a gen, remember you have free heat. In the oilfield we call it waste heat recovery. The generator exhaust will get water nice and toasty.

I've only done it with some gallon jugs next to the gen, but it works really well.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
!!!

That would go well with my concept of a larger and longer exhaust pipe.

Edit: or the exhaust pipe pointed up and a vessel (galvanized well water tank)
mounted above it.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:53:34 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't have a raging drunk in the family gumming up the works...yet...it could be me if I get tired of banging my head!    ::beertoast::   ::hysterical::

And because of my professional financial background, history of being family invenstment advisor and go-to economic forecaster...I am the treasurer for our little "disaster fund"...after splurging on food, gear, supplies, rain barrels, heorloom seeds yadda yadda yadda...the economy has taken its toll and contributions have slowed to barely a trickle...I get the high honor and priveldge of haranging people...and what really torks me off is the older niece/nephew not contributing squat (and no doubt expecting to share the BOL benefits...I know splitting 1 "share" of resources 7 ways will suck for them, but either that or we all subsidize the freeloaders...ya'll can guess where I come down, and since I have most the guns and ammo my "share" speaks louder than most)...

There is definitely too much in the chance/make do category, but I keep pushing priorities and being a PITA!

Gotta make more Faraday cages too, throw various sensitive stuff in there like radios (SW & Ham) maybe some small gen's.  I am also trying to think if I could get a big cardboard box I could wrap my cycle in and then wrap with tin foil for something to have something operable should EMP hit.

For fridge/freezer, when power went out at the lake we got by running about 14-16 hours off a portable (forget what size, all it could handle were those two items though) and let sit overnight without opening and it got by OK, and that was in early July and hot.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

There are propane refrigerators.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
Gotta make more Faraday cages too, throw various sensitive stuff in there like radios (SW & Ham) maybe some small gen's.  I am also trying to think if I could get a big cardboard box I could wrap my cycle in and then wrap with tin foil for something to have something operable should EMP hit.

No reason to wrap the whole cycle - just buy a spare CPU if it uses one and keep that in a faraday cage ( any conductive  metal box)  - if it has a carb and no CPU,  it should start up no problem--  there really being no real circuits to fry..
However, if an EMP hits it will be devastating.  It will wipe out my  solar array for sure, and pretty much every CPU in the area, fry transformers, and basically destroy the grid.  3 days later the emergency gens at the phone company, sewage plants and hospitals go. Most cars and trucks won't function, and everyone in the cities will starve or die of disease from raw sewage ( believe me, most people in the cities have no idea they should bury their crap. A common cat has more sense than the city dwellers)  Looting and raping will start as soon as folks figure out the problem is bigger than just their city and that Gov help is unlikely.   If you have a protected generator ,  it will last as long as your fuel, and the sound of it running will attract every human for miles. Yeah, you can try to take fuel out of gas station tanks by hand, but that will be the end of that for a while.    If you have an EMP proof vehicle - it will be the same thing. You don't dare use it till most  everyone else is dead.  Of course, by then, whoever attacked us ( even if its North Korea)  or just enemy countries will invade - because we just lost 50-80% of the population , the remainder are malnourished and freaked, and there just won't be a gun behind every blade of grass anymore.  Its the one scenario where I am not sure its worth surviving.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:27:12 PM by Weisshaupt »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

I beg to differ.  The remaining 20-50% will be those who appreciate
that Remington poster, their generators will be running (make friends
with a welder he probably has a huge miller generator which will power
those gas pumps), well fed, rested and ready.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
                              Isoroku Yamamoto

Be of good cheer, we are ready.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 03:56:50 PM »
I think I posted this link on one of those phantom Genset threads  :D

Introducing the redneck Faraday Cage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQZY1FtI3c

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »
Yup, got one of those already 'Soup!   ::thumbsup::

"A common cat has more sense than the city dwellers" - Weisshaupt.  Awesome quip, and so true. 

I'll look into the spare CPU for the cycle.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »

GENERATOR, 212CC, 2800/3000 EPA

http://www.harborfreight.com/#  with coupon $289.99

??

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:40 AM »

GENERATOR, 212CC, 2800/3000 EPA

http://www.harborfreight.com/#  with coupon $289.99

??

Comments - "I want to make repairs to the Engine mounts. Found out that they no longer carry parts for this unit, BUT they still sell them!!!!"

::)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »
Oh hey, I may have made a small breakthrough regarding generator up at the lake, folks are now thinking perhaps propane is the way to go.  I am employing gentle enocuragement now to help this thought along.

::whoohoo::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »
Good.  Persist!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
  1) 10KW winco 16 horse Briggs

1) 10KW Pramac 18 horse honda

Love the little guys.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Here I go again...

Nothing like family to make a liar out of yourself...my determination to "get this done" by last summer went "poof" faster than a fat man's diet at a buffet line!

Trying to get my family on board in principle and financial support is like...well, trying to herd fricken cats!   ::bashing::   ::pullhair::

But, I shall try again.  And try, and try...and try.  I can be a real stubborn SOB so, either they get totally sick of me or I grind them down and they surrender.  Last year I tried logic and reason.  This year I will employ fear and more fear...and maybe some anger.  Wish me luck!