Author Topic: Libertas' All Things 2012 RNC Convention Thread  (Read 13557 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Anybody watching the convention?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »
Now listening to the first lady of Puerto Rico, Luce Vela Fortuno. She would make a heck of a contrast to that hispanic feminazi Eva Longoria. She speaks well with a relatively heavy accent. Very authentic sounding. She is doing the intro for Ann Romney.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
Now Ann Romney takes the stage. Good contrast with the red dress against the blue background. Looks like they turned off the moving smoke stuff. She is very telegenic. Starts out by acknowledging the hurricane and asks for everyone to keep the people in its path on their minds.

She is talking about her husband, of course. This is a typical thing now. This type of speech was pioneered by Elizabeth Dole. Dole set the standard for this type of speech and the standard she set was very high. That's good because it forces these women who have followed her to do at least as well. I didn't care for McSlug's wife at all. Ann Romney seems much more real in her presentation of the Dole speech. Good eye contact. She has been giving speeches in public for a long time. Or she is a natural. Or both. She is very, very good. Has the attention of everyone in the hall. Earlier when others were speaking you could occasionally see someone consulting their smartphones...not now. Everyone is paying attention to her. She is a good warmup for Christie.

She starts out by identifying with all of the women, especially mothers, in the hall and in the television audience. She is saying "I'm you." A neat trick for a multi-millionaire. This is, of course, the lead in for Mitt.

So...she is humanizing Mitt...now that she has established that she is every woman in the audience she is now establishing that Mitt is every guy. Or...more importantly, she is establishing that Mitt is the guy that every woman would want for a husband and father to their children. As I said, she is humanizing him. This is, of course, critical since the media and O'Bongo have gone the distance in an attempt to de-humanize him. She is doing this by way of recounting her personal history with Mitt. How they met. How they got married. How they had kids...grandkids. The audience is eating it up. As I said, she is a pro at this or a natural or both. She is a lot better at timing the pauses with the applause lines. Maybe her speech is better written. Don't know.

One of the subconscious themes here is that she is contrasting her marriage with the O'Bongo's. Not directly, of course. She isn't holding them up side by side but by talking about how wonderful her marriage is she is inviting the contrast. Likewise with her talking up Mitt's morality and principles and values, etc. Because that's what an election is about...a comparison and a contrast. She does throw in the "he built it" about his business after all of this talk about how great Mitt is...comparison and contrast without any implicit comparison and contrast. Again, this is the Elizabeth Dole speech to perfection.

More comparing herself and Mitt to every normal couple in America. The "we are you" message is front and center.

Not a barn burner speech but it wasn't supposed to be...that's coming up with Christie, I suppose. She did exactly what she was supposed to do with this speech. Authoritative and direct without being shrill and/or creepy like Chewbacca O'Bongo.

The one thing at variance with the Elizabeth Dole speech was she didn't go down into the audience and mingle with the delegates Oprah-style. I'm okay with that. She didn't need to do it to be effective.

Mitt comes out at the end and does the kiss and hug thing. And he did it without the disgusting saliva laden deep tongue thing that Algore did with poor Tipper.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:57:38 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »
Now the video intro for Christie. This video says to me, "Chris Christie is a big tank of goo with attitude."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »
She is saying "I'm you." A neat trick for a multi-millionaire.

Really?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »

Really?

Really, really.

Just my analysis. Your mileage may vary.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Christie starts out with his family story...an old school American success story.

I can't help thinking, as I listen to Christie, that he would have a heck of a lot better speech if there was a heckler he could beat the crap out of.
Or maybe if they allowed a few questions from the press so that he could smack them around a bit. That would be fun.

The moving smokey background is back for Christie's speech. Too bad. I hate it.

Now he is talking about our heritage...about our ancestors who kicked ass...who could probably kick our lazy asses...he is trying to inspire us to be better than we are right now. He is using his experience as governor to do this. He is saying that New Jersey was f**ked but because he went in and kicked ass it's better now and will continue to improve. He's probably right if he can only get re-elected. But I digress. He is using his experience as governor as an intro for what Romney needs to do, will do, as president. He is saying that if the residents of New Jersey can do it then the rest of the country can.

Christie is also keeping up with the Democrat/O'Bongo bashing. That's good. Needs to happen. I sure hope that Romney can do it. It would be very cool after putting out the "O'Bongo is a nice guy in over his head" stuff, Romney instead bashes the crap out of O'Bongo like Reagan did Carter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:16:21 PM by trapeze »

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Watching Ann Romney.......started a little slow, but she is hitting stride. Doing a good job, IMO.

There were SO many good speeches.....Gov. Nikki Haley, Gov. Bob McConnell, Gov. Kasich, I could not believe how good ann Romny was, and Gov. Chris Christie too.  What a night for  conservative thought!!!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:13 PM »
Christie's speech is the barn burner. No surprise there.

Interesting...he talks about how our strength is in our ideas. I sure hope that those ideas don't include raising taxes and giving out amnesty.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
BTW...with apologies to Libertas, I'm going to rename this thread to make it the RNC thread.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »

Your analysis is comforting, I didn't get to watch.
[blockquote]
The moving background, it must be the juvenile stage directors
or show producers, it's in vogue, they either don't understand
that the folks who watch these things or, say Fox, have an
attention span and do not require constant visual or audio stimulus
to stay attuned to the presentation.  Sometimes it's so bad I
want to throw up.  Wonder how many viewers flip the channel
because of the extra auditory and visual stimulation they put up?[/blockquote]

I'm going to check for repeats when I leave.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:24:51 PM »
This convention, with these speeches, should make a heck of a contrast to the Democrat abortion fest coming up next week.

We talk about liberty, about freedom, about leadership and success.

They talk about abortion on demand. And food stamps. And bailouts.

Night and day.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:26 PM »

Your analysis is comforting, I didn't get to watch.

cspan will probably have a complete rerun.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 11:27:05 PM »
I would be a lot more impressed with Christie's speech if he weren't pro-gay marriage. And pro-amnesty. And if he was an avowed enemy of O'BongoCare.

But it was about as good a speech as you are going to get from him. It was good. It was inspiring. Most people will like it because they don't know that under all of that tough guy persona and talk he is mostly an establishment RINO. RINO Lite, I guess.

The night's speeches end with a hard rock music act. Not bad...makes us look somewhat cool. I wish they had had these guys, too...

They finish with another hispanic...a Christian pastor of some sort to give a rather fiery benediction. Makes me wonder if they will manage to squeeze in a mormon clergy at some point. I also wonder if Mitt will be sworn in with the book of mormon. Not that it matters all that much. O'Bongo was sworn in with a bible and yet almost immediately began violating his oath of office in a way that could charitably be described as "reckless." It's the man and his character rather than the book he takes his oath of office on. They could swear on the stone tablets that God gave to Moses and if their character is deeply flawed like, say, O'Bongo, then it matters not at all.

Okay, so comment on...I'm gonna rename this thread to something more appropriate for the rest of the convention...and look forward to tomorrow night's activities.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:41:20 PM by trapeze »

charlesoakwood

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »

I think he likes the slims also.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Libertas' All Things 2012 RNC Convention Thread
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:53 PM »
I looked around quickly and did not see any split screen hurricane nonsense. Did anyone see that happen?

I watched cspan so there were no ads, no analysis and no split screens. Missed nothing although I didn't start the recording early enough. I will fix that for tomorrow night.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 06:43:29 AM »
The renaming is fine Trap.  As for the analysis I guess I could have done without the Al/Tipper slobber-tongue imagery, but I guess something was needed to provide contrast...
 ::puke::

I also find it somewhat humorous that spouses of nominees have to speak to humanize their mates.  Sure, it is driven by the fact that the grotesquely left-wing biased media demonizes all non-proglodyte candidates with manic delight, but if we're going to go the humanizing route why not go full bore?  How about a slide show/film roll of the Romney's greatest (and perhaps not so great) moments instead of just a speech?  Que up a speech then roll film.  Anyway, tonight will have the big guns, hope they got their game faces on.  If I don't basically hear they're gonna grab the SCoaMF by the nose and kick his ass from now till election day...well, why be in this at all?  I guess we'll see if it's to be fire in the belly, lead in the ass or something in between.  Could be another case where the Veep outshines the top of the ticket.

Didn't see much about a hurricane, is there a hurricane?   ::stirpot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »

Really?

Oh Oh, too much like Juan Williams' "sounds like a corporate wife" quip about Ann Romney! 

I wish I could be there for such events...why isn't there ever anybody there to come back with a "as opposed to a looter wife, eh, Juan" quip?!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:02 AM »
I thought the speeches all provided a nice contrast to what we know about dems and will hear next week.

Ann Romney did set up a nice contrast which the media will probably ignore.  What could the media compare to anyway?  A guy who lounged about?  I wished she would have slipped in a quip about Mitt's grades.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
Good first nite. I thought our speakers did a good job accentuating the strong points of party, while leaving alone our disagreements we have with a few and with the rinos. I appreciated the fact we did not pander ( in speech) to every hyphenated american, but told our story, made our case.

Christie, I wonder if some of his stances are based on getting elected in the northeast and not conviction of heart. I couldn't do it but I don't necessarily believe it bad for the party if we had some that would.

Anyway, looking forward to tonites line up. We seem to be subliminally setting up for the stark contrast between our convention and the circus.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
Heard this morning--last night was the first time Ann Romney used a teleprompter.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."