Author Topic: Why I am Catholic  (Read 21556 times)

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Why I am Catholic
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Apostate churches of any denomination will have to answer for their apostasy and leading people astray just as much as the unprepentant sinner.

More so I think. The sinner bears responsibility for himself. Those who lead others into falsehood risk themselves AND others.
James 3
American Standard Version (ASV)
3  Be not many of you teachers, my brethren, knowing that we shall receive heavier judgment.

2 For in many things we all stumble. If any stumbleth not in word, the same is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body also.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »
.......The error is thinking the Pope was established by God.........

The error is yours, not mine

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Elements are in fact man-made, the Catholic Church & Papacy as a whole, no of course not, but elements..........
...and there is nothing wrong with that at all, as long as those elements do not cause people to disobey God. Jesus' beef with some of the Pharisses traditions was not simply the fact that they were tradtions, but that that they were tradtions that caused people to disobey God and thus nullified the word of God.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
The "sale" of indulgences was never approved by the Church. The "doctrine" of indulgences IS approved by the Church, and still is to this day.

In fact, the sale of indulgences was condemned by the Church before Martin Luther ever hit the scene.

If these councils protect his word, then where are Jesus's words that back the practice?  And even if indulgences were part of the Word,  why did early  councils not clarify that the granting of indulgences cannot be done for money, thus tacitly approving of and allowing the practice to continue,  while later ones condemned the practice? The Holy Spirit  guiding  the Apostolic Succession  just forgot to mention it earlier?  The men those early councils were certainly aware of the practice, and I am pretty sure they were unable to hide it fro the all-knowing Father.  If these councils really are the protector of the Word of God, then I would not expect the Holy Spirit would allow them  to omit pertinent bits of information, especially where such omissions would put souls at risk. Or are you suggesting that God gave his tacit approval of their sale for a while and then changed his mind?

You don't even address the sacrifice of  the "Heretics" at these council's hands. Councils called to  "clarify" one doctrinal point or another with the intent and full knowledge that such clarification would  result in the persecution, torture  and deaths of others does not seem to be, in any way, to be following the teachings of Jesus.  Did these councils ever declare that the heretic should be left alone and not harmed?  Did the Holy Spirit guiding the Apostolic Succession want men to kill and destroy  these heretics ( not unbelievers - just those with different interpretations)  because His  Word was threatened? And if so, why didn't Jesus mention it in his teachings?   Or is there a "Thou must destroy all people who, while they believe, differ from me in some esoteric point" clause I am unaware of in the New Testament? Are you suggesting that God tacitly gave approval to these acts?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Elements are in fact man-made, the Catholic Church & Papacy as a whole, no of course not, but elements..........
...and there is nothing wrong with that at all, as long as those elements do not cause people to disobey God. Jesus' beef with some of the Pharisses traditions was not simply the fact that they were tradtions, but that that they were tradtions that caused people to disobey God and thus nullified the word of God.

There are some people who put more faith into relics and saints than in Jesus.  Jesus is the (only) way, prayers to things and other people have ZERO biblical or apostolic root.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
The "sale" of indulgences was never approved by the Church. The "doctrine" of indulgences IS approved by the Church, and still is to this day.

In fact, the sale of indulgences was condemned by the Church before Martin Luther ever hit the scene.

If these councils protect his word, then where are Jesus's words that back the practice?  And even if indulgences were part of the Word,  why did early  councils not clarify that the granting of indulgences cannot be done for money, thus tacitly approving of and allowing the practice to continue,  while later ones condemned the practice? The Holy Spirit  guiding  the Apostolic Succession  just forgot to mention it earlier?  The men those early councils were certainly aware of the practice, and I am pretty sure they were unable to hide it fro the all-knowing Father.  If these councils really are the protector of the Word of God, then I would not expect the Holy Spirit would allow them  to omit pertinent bits of information, especially where such omissions would put souls at risk. Or are you suggesting that God gave his tacit approval of their sale for a while and then changed his mind?

You don't even address the sacrifice of  the "Heretics" at these council's hands. Councils called to  "clarify" one doctrinal point or another with the intent and full knowledge that such clarification would  result in the persecution, torture  and deaths of others does not seem to be, in any way, to be following the teachings of Jesus.  Did these councils ever declare that the heretic should be left alone and not harmed?  Did the Holy Spirit guiding the Apostolic Succession want men to kill and destroy  these heretics ( not unbelievers - just those with different interpretations)  because His  Word was threatened? And if so, why didn't Jesus mention it in his teachings?   Or is there a "Thou must destroy all people who, while they believe, differ from me in some esoteric point" clause I am unaware of in the New Testament? Are you suggesting that God tacitly gave approval to these acts?

You are throwing a whole bag of apples and oranges at me man.

Look: The Church is a living organism, not a static concept. Like any living thing it grows and learns. You ask, "even if indulgences were part of the Word,  why did early  councils not clarify that the granting of indulgences cannot be done for money?" Councils do not work this way. A council cannot anticipate every possible sin and error of people centuries in the future. Thats insane. Even the Bible itself does not meet your standard! If it did it would be laid out in a methodical, cross-referenced, foot-noted manner that would leave no doubt in any meaning to any reader. Well, the Bible does not work that way, and neither do councils.

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
There are some people who put more faith into relics and saints than in Jesus.............

I have never met such a person. If I ever do, I will gently tell them that they are not following the teachings of the Church.

The Church teaches. The Church does not guarantee that all its member will correctly follow those teachings.

...........Jesus is the (only) way, prayers to things and other people have ZERO biblical or apostolic root.

Again, I do not know people who "pray to things."

However, the authentic Church teachings on Relics IS Biblical.

QUOTE:

"..........Keep in mind what the Church says about relics. It doesn’t say there is some magical power in them. There is nothing in the relic itself, whether a bone of the apostle Peter or water from Lourdes, that has any curative ability. The Church just says that relics may be the occasion of God’s miracles, and in this the Church follows Scripture.

The use of the bones of Elisha brought a dead man to life: "So Elisha died, and they buried him. Now bands of Moabites used to invade the land in the spring of the year. And as a man was being buried, lo, a marauding band was seen and the man was cast into the grave of Elisha; and as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood on his feet" (2 Kgs. 13:20-21). This is an unequivocal biblical example of a miracle being performed by God through contact with the relics of a saint!

Similar are the cases of the woman cured of a hemorrhage by touching the hem of Christ’s cloak (Matt. 9:20-22) and the sick who were healed when Peter’s shadow passed over them (Acts 5:14-16). "And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them" (Acts 19:11-12).

If these aren’t examples of the use of relics, what are? In the case of Elisha, a Lazarus-like return from the dead was brought about through the prophet’s bones. In the New Testament cases, physical things (the cloak, the shadow, handkerchiefs and aprons) were used to effect cures. There is a perfect congruity between present-day Catholic practice and ancient practice. If you reject all Catholic relics today as frauds, you should also reject these biblical accounts as frauds.

LINK: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/relics

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
Matt 23:1-12: “Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. "Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. "

Interesting Choice. That is Matt 23: 1-3.   Lets look at all of what you referenced:

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Hey, how do you address Catholic Priests?
How do Catholic Priests dress?
Is St. Peter's Cathedral in anyway a "humble" structure?

Jesus is telling us to concentrate on the Word of God as HE TAUGHT IT, and not the trappings men have placed around it to enrich themselves and grant themselves a station and power. Just as you should obey the teachings of the  Pharisees as the word of God, even if they, themselves, do not obey it.  Jesus is asserting God's authority here, the authority of His Word and His Law, not the authority of the Priests, for they have Authority only so much as they preach that word.  

He is telling us directly that no Man is their Spiritual Father and no Man can intercede or interject himself into the direct relationship between god and each individual. That no one may teach but Jesus. That no one may intercede for you but Jesus. It is as direct a refutation of indulgences, apostolic succession  and the entire history of the Catholic Church as you are likely to find in the New Testament. We can certainly find plenty of examples of "do as I say, not as I do" in Catholic  history (or in the history of ANY human run and maintained institution)  - and for that reason Jesus is making it abundantly clear that Men in the offices that God Creates are not infallible, that they are subject to petty human wants and desires, and serve and represent Him only in as much as they serve to preach His Word and His Law.  

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
There are some people who put more faith into relics and saints than in Jesus.............

I have never met such a person. If I ever do, I will gently tell them that they are not following the teachings of the Church.

The Church teaches. The Church does not guarantee that all its member will correctly follow those teachings.

The perils all churches face and the responsibility they bear.

...........Jesus is the (only) way, prayers to things and other people have ZERO biblical or apostolic root.

Again, I do not know people who "pray to things."

Really, then why the icons?  Why the statues of the Virgin Mary?  Real faith needs no image, no prod, just Jesus.  I have heard Catholics pray to Saints all the time, not to Jesus, to Saints.  Christianity is Christ-based, only one prayer is required and that is to Jesus, all other avenues are dead ends, those are the words of Christ himself - nobody gets to the Father but through Him!

However, the authentic Church teachings on Relics IS Biblical.

QUOTE:

"..........Keep in mind what the Church says about relics. It doesn’t say there is some magical power in them. There is nothing in the relic itself, whether a bone of the apostle Peter or water from Lourdes, that has any curative ability. The Church just says that relics may be the occasion of God’s miracles, and in this the Church follows Scripture.

The use of the bones of Elisha brought a dead man to life: "So Elisha died, and they buried him. Now bands of Moabites used to invade the land in the spring of the year. And as a man was being buried, lo, a marauding band was seen and the man was cast into the grave of Elisha; and as soon as the man touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood on his feet" (2 Kgs. 13:20-21). This is an unequivocal biblical example of a miracle being performed by God through contact with the relics of a saint!

Similar are the cases of the woman cured of a hemorrhage by touching the hem of Christ’s cloak (Matt. 9:20-22) and the sick who were healed when Peter’s shadow passed over them (Acts 5:14-16). "And God did extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul, so that handkerchiefs or aprons were carried away from his body to the sick, and diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them" (Acts 19:11-12).

If these aren’t examples of the use of relics, what are? In the case of Elisha, a Lazarus-like return from the dead was brought about through the prophet’s bones. In the New Testament cases, physical things (the cloak, the shadow, handkerchiefs and aprons) were used to effect cures. There is a perfect congruity between present-day Catholic practice and ancient practice. If you reject all Catholic relics today as frauds, you should also reject these biblical accounts as frauds.

There is a fine line in determining what is faith-driven (devine) and desire-driven (human), people today being more acustomed to the "quick fix"...I would err on the conservative side and teach only historical artifacts are interesting in their context but should not be venerated with vaults and cathedrals...it gives the appearance that the relic has power, not who the relic obtained power from.  To deny the weaknesses of man and just wash your hands and say "if they interpret the teaching wrong and devolve into iodol worship, oh well, that's their problem, I'm clean" is an action I would not want to be part of.  Not saying priests are doing this, I just think it is better to adopt a low profile on this and stick with the basics...Jesus, Jesus and more Jesus!

LINK: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/relics

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Jives with my understanding of the "basics"!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
Look: The Church is a living organism, not a static concept. Like any living thing it grows and learns. You ask, "even if indulgences were part of the Word,  why did early  councils not clarify that the granting of indulgences cannot be done for money?" Councils do not work this way. A council cannot anticipate every possible sin and error of people centuries in the future. Thats insane. Even the Bible itself does not meet your standard! If it did it would be laid out in a methodical, cross-referenced, foot-noted manner that would leave no doubt in any meaning to any reader. Well, the Bible does not work that way, and neither do councils.

The Word does NOT change. It is a Static Concept and the (True) Church is built on that Word. That is the Catholic assertion and their justification for being the one true church.  

You are of course correct, a council of men cannot anticipate every possible sin, but the (Catholic) assertion is that these are NOT councils of men , but Councils based on the Principle of Apostolic succession - made  infallible my the presence of the Holy Spirit passed on to each by the laying of hands directly down from Peter himself.  These councils therefore should be expected to have such foreknowledge of Sin, and do what they need to do to protect and "clarify" the Word. The Constitution of the United States means exactly what it meant to the people it signed it. Even more so does that principle apply to his Word, being divine in origin.  Its not going to "change with the times"  - New sins may be created within that framework  as times change , but  Indulgences were not introduced and then the sale of them occurred. These councils affirmed  an established practice of indulgences with FULL KNOWLEDGE they were being sold. Either the council was NOT lead via the Holy Spirit, and was, as most protestants assert, a council of men,  or the Word of God, and therefore the  definition of sin,  changes over time, contrary to the teaching of Jesus.

As a Practical matter, I agree  the Church is a living organism, made living by men and therefore subject to every failing of man, but that is contrary to the Church's teaching as I currently comprehend it.  The fact that God did not make his intentions known explicitly in 50 foot high letters of fire is proof that he requires Faith above all - and suggests that the path is not so narrow as some would have us believe. Those who preach that there is but one path, are usually the ones claiming to have the the only key to the Gates of Heaven in one hand and an offering plate in the other.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »

Certainly, you are permitted to think that and say that, and I respect your beliefs which you hold on to, even if I disagree. However, the scriptures are clear and easily searched and neither word appears in scripture.  There is no instruction to establish the papacy in scripture, and establishing that office was not done for centuries.  Establishing a history of Popes connecting back to Peter, goes outside of both scripture and history to do so.  
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »
Matt 23:1-12: “Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. "Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. "

Interesting Choice. That is Matt 23: 1-3.   Lets look at all of what you referenced:

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

Hey, how do you address Catholic Priests?
How do Catholic Priests dress?
Is St. Peter's Cathedral in anyway a "humble" structure?

Jesus is telling us to concentrate on the Word of God as HE TAUGHT IT, and not the trappings men have placed around it to enrich themselves and grant themselves a station and power. Just as you should obey the teachings of the  Pharisees as the word of God, even if they, themselves, do not obey it.  Jesus is asserting God's authority here, the authority of His Word and His Law, not the authority of the Priests, for they have Authority only so much as they preach that word.  

He is telling us directly that no Man is their Spiritual Father and no Man can intercede or interject himself into the direct relationship between god and each individual. That no one may teach but Jesus. That no one may intercede for you but Jesus. It is as direct a refutation of indulgences, apostolic succession  and the entire history of the Catholic Church as you are likely to find in the New Testament. We can certainly find plenty of examples of "do as I say, not as I do" in Catholic  history (or in the history of ANY human run and maintained institution)  - and for that reason Jesus is making it abundantly clear that Men in the offices that God Creates are not infallible, that they are subject to petty human wants and desires, and serve and represent Him only in as much as they serve to preach His Word and His Law.  

If someone wants an answer to a question I have no problem giving an answer, which is pretty much why I started this thread. But your questions seem to invite argument, not answers. Every time I give you an answer you move to something else, the equivalent of some guy in an old west movie yelling "dance!" as he shoots at my feet.

I told you that Jesus told the people to obey the Pharisees. You asked for a reference; I gave you a reference, and now you're on about what priests wear and what we call priests. And when I address what priests wear and what we call priests, what will you throw at me next?

1) I assume when you ask about what we call priests you are referring to the often misinterpreted scripture "call no man father." My response will take up a whole page, so instead I will link you to probably the best response I have ever heard, this OP: http://www.true2ourselves.com/forum/bible-chat/6095-call-no-man-father-scripture-doesn-t-say.html

2) What priests wear: Again, you have drifted off of the topic of "doctrine" and into the realm of "customs". What priests wear and don't wear is neither here nor there. Such things are not doctrines decided by councils, they are merely customs that change with the time. And as it relates to the quoted scriptutres, the truth is that Catholic priests do NOT walk around in their vestments to gain fear or vainglory or power from venders or passersby the way the Pharisees use to. Catholic priests only wear their vestments at Mass. Otherwise they walk around in public dressed pretty humbly. So that comparison of yours was lightyears off the mark.

3) As for this statement of yours: "We can certainly find plenty of examples of "do as I say, not as I do" in Catholic history", I say, yah, so what! I have never said otherwise. You should re-read what I said in the OP:

The Church Is Holy (Eph. 5:25–27, Rev. 19:7–8 )
By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23).......................

All you are doing is stating the obvious for the sake of argument. If you have a legit question that you want a legit answer to, go ahead and ask. If you merely seek argument, I am not your guy.

Look: The Church is a living organism, not a static concept. Like any living thing it grows and learns. You ask, "even if indulgences were part of the Word,  why did early  councils not clarify that the granting of indulgences cannot be done for money?" Councils do not work this way. A council cannot anticipate every possible sin and error of people centuries in the future. Thats insane. Even the Bible itself does not meet your standard! If it did it would be laid out in a methodical, cross-referenced, foot-noted manner that would leave no doubt in any meaning to any reader. Well, the Bible does not work that way, and neither do councils.

The Word does NOT change. It is a Static Concept.........

Jesus is the Word. Jesus lives. Jesus is not a static concept, and the Word is not a letter on a page.

NO Christian theologian would accept that statement of yours, be they protestant, orthodox, OR Catholic.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:21:15 AM by CatholicCrusader »

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »

Certainly, you are permitted to think that and say that...................

......and prove it too.

I'm sure we all know THIS scripture, which most Christians argue over, by heart by now:

"...Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

I'll try to make clear what the Pope actually is. Many people have mistaken ideas about what the Pope is, which is why they don't see the office in scripture.

Simply, the Pope is the fulfillment of the office of Prime Minister that existed in the Kindoms of David and his successors, just as many things in the New Testament are fulfillments of their Old Testament "types".

"And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call My servant Eliakim the son of Helcias, and I will clothe him with thy Robe, and I will strengthen him with thy Sash, and will give thy Power (authority) into his hand; and he shall be as a FATHER (the word 'Pope' means 'Father') to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. And I will lay the Key of the House of David (the symbol of primacy) upon his shoulder; and he shall open and none shall shut; and he shall shut and none shall open. And I will fasten him as a peg in a Sure Place(the Papal Office), and he shall be for a Throne of glory to the house of his Father. And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his Fathers house, diverse kinds of vessels, every little vessel, from the vessels of cups even to every instrument of music." (Isaiah 22:20-24)

In the Davidic Kingdoms, there was the office of Prime Minister (who actually wore a key on his robe as a symbol of office). This position is what is referred to in the above text and in other historical documents. There were many "ministers" to the king, but only one Prime Minister, sometimes known as the "Vizier" of the House of David.

So now let's fast-forward to the New Testament: JESUS is the King, the "son of David", in the line of David. So, the apostles, steeped in their Jewish culture, knew EXACTLY what it meant when Jesus gave Peter the "Keys". Peter was to be the Prime Minister of Christ's Kingdom, the "Keeper of the Keys".

So this is what the Pope is: Prime Minister of the King's Kingdom: The Kings's representative, or "vicar" if you will. But the Pope also has a pastoral role, which is established in John 21: 15-17, when Christ told Peter: "feed my lambs.. ..feed my sheep.. ..tend my sheep."

This is the Pope: Prime Minister of Christs Kingdom, and Pastor of the flock. With that in mind, the Papacy is ALL THROUGH the scriptures. Now, throw into that mix the fact there is ample evidence in the New Testament that Peter was first in authority among the apostles. Whenever they were named, Peter headed the list (Matt. 10:1-4, Mark 3:16-19, Luke 6:14-16, Acts 1:13) ; sometimes the apostles were referred to as "Peter and those who were with him" (Luke 9:32). Peter was the one who generally spoke for the apostles (Matt. 18:21, Mark 8:29, Luke 12:41, John 6), and he figured in many of the most dramatic scenes (Matt. 14:28-32, Matt. 17:24-27, Mark 10:23-28 ) . On Pentecost it was Peter who first preached to the crowds (Acts 2:14-40), and he worked the first healing in the Church age (Acts 3:6-7). It is Peter’s faith that will strengthen his brethren (Luke 22:32) and, as I said, Peter is given Christ’s flock to shepherd (John 21:17). An angel was sent to announce the resurrection to Peter (Mark 16:7), and the risen Christ first appeared to Peter (Luke 24:34). He headed the meeting that elected Matthias to replace Judas (Acts 1:13-26), and he received the first converts (Acts 2:41). He inflicted the first punishment (Acts 5:1-11), and excommunicated the first heretic (Acts 8:18-23). He led the first council in Jerusalem (Acts 15), and announced the first dogmatic decision (Acts 15:7-11). It was to Peter that the revelation came that Gentiles were to be baptized and accepted as Christians (Acts 10:46-48 ) .

So, as Cyprian of Carthage said in 251 A.D. (almost a hundred years before Constatine):

"The Lord says to Peter: ‘I say to you,’ he says, ‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it. And to you I will give the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever things you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth, they shall be loosed also in heaven’ [Matt. 16:18–19]). ... On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were also what Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?" - The Unity of the Catholic Church 4; 1st edition [A.D. 251]).

Much more info can be found here if you are interested:
Catholic Answers: Library: Church & Papacy

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:32 AM »
If someone wants an answer to a question I have no problem giving an answer, which is pretty much why I started this thread. But your questions seem to invite argument, not answers

I am sorry if that is your perception, as I am really just pointing out what appear to me to be  inconsistencies in your views that do not make sense to me. I really don't have a dog in this hunt. The reason this jumps around a bit is because new  responses appear  to me to  contradict prior responses. (though you are right,  the dress and style of Catholic traditions are off-topic  and were a cheap shot )  So let me return to the case in point:

I assume when you ask about what we call priests you are referring to the often misinterpreted scripture "call no man father." My response will take up a whole page, so instead I will link you to probably the best response I have ever heard, this OP: http://www.true2ourselves.com/forum/bible-chat/6095-call-no-man-father-scripture-doesn-t-say.html

And that link states "this whole dispute is the result of a misunderstanding of the word most often translated “call” in this passage of Matthew 23.9:", which, if we hark back to my earlier and first response about translation its exactly the sort of nuance I claimed was being lost. However, if the translation is being guided by the Holy Spirit,  Why, then, does the approved Catholic version of the bible use the word "Call" which is clearly inaccurate? Apostolic succession protects the doctrine, which, in your FIRST POST, you claimed was unchanging and static (since the time of the Apostles),

His Church also teaches just one set of doctrines, which must be the same as those taught by the apostles (Jude 3)

but seem to dispute that by saying:

Jesus is the Word. Jesus lives. Jesus is not a static concept, and the Word is not a letter on a page.

Jesus Lives, yes. That does not imply that he is often  changing his mind, or deciding to teach different things that contradict prior teachings.  Those claiming to be teaching the original version of his doctrine are not so liberated to interject new things.  Since Jesus has not returned to update the doctrine himself, one must assume that the original is still our guide, and that any church's legitimacy is based on the faithful teaching of the original. Correct?

Thus if the doctrines must be the same as those taught by the apostles, and those doctrines are based upon the Word, and the Holy Spirit has been guiding these councils of appointed teachers,  we really shouldn't be going back to the original Greek (which relies  upon the oral tradition to be correct -since Jesus most likely originally used Aramaic) for an accurate translation, right? If the doctrine is the same as was taught by the apostles, then indulgences couldn't have been added if they weren't there from the beginning correct? If they were there and were abused by being sold  from the beginning, then their sale could not then later be repudiated, correct? If these infallible  councils were protecting the word of God, why was the punishment for not believing them persecution, torture and death, when  Jesus never commanded such?

For the early Fathers, "the identity of the oral tradition with the original revelation is guaranteed by the unbroken succession of bishops in the great sees going back lineally to the apostles. . . . [A]n additional safeguard is supplied by the Holy Spirit, for the message committed was to the Church, and the Church is the home of the Spirit. Indeed, the Church’s bishops are . . . Spirit-endowed men who have been vouchsafed ‘an infallible charism of truth’" (ibid.). Thus on the basis of experience the Fathers could be "profoundly convinced of the futility of arguing with heretics merely on the basis of Scripture. The skill and success with which they twisted its plain meaning made it impossible to reach any decisive conclusion in that field" (ibid., 41).

So these councils, charged with protecting the word and clarifying the scripture had to claim for themselves a special ability, given to no other men, via a line of laying on hands, to  authoritatively define the doctrines taught by the apostles, bolstered by, but not dependent upon, the scripture. These councils had to be "Summoned" by others to determine the meaning of the doctrine, correct? Using  the meaning from the original greek, your source states

Christians are not to summon anyone as the heathens do shamans--as if anyone had power of themselves or power apart from God--for all power of grace comes from God, and it is God who works in those who are chosen, they have not power of themselves, nor are they able to teach or lead unless they are taught and led by the common God and Lord of us all. We may invoke God in prayer and ask others to invoke God in prayer for us, but there are no shamans among us that are “gods in the flesh” who are to be summoned to grant petitions, but all must ask God to grant graces for themselves and for others. Leaders interceded before all and God works in them and through them, but it is God’s grace and power, not theirs, and no one has any power or authority apart from God

Were indulgences nothing other than the granting of petitions, paid for or not? Did not these councils affirm the right of the church to grant such petitions? Are they not obeying the plain word of this scripture in regard to indulgences then? Does their very existence  deny it, as they are claiming to be "gods in the flesh" during their meeting , able to clarify the doctrine?  Does this scripture then not imply that I do not need to confess to a member of the priesthood, but may  petition for  forgiveness of my sins directly?

By his grace Jesus makes the Church holy, just as he is holy. This doesn’t mean that each member is always holy. Jesus said there would be both good and bad members in the Church (John 6:70), and not all the members would go to heaven (Matt. 7:21–23).......................

A claim for Apostolic Succession is a claim that those men, while in council, were Holy - led to be infallible (on matters of doctrine) by the Lord himself. If I have a point here it is that the Ecumenical Councils, by decision and deed, have shown an inconsistency and unfaithfulness to the word of God ( as much as my paltry understanding of such allows me to determine)  that leads me to believe they were not guided by the holy spirit in many cases, and were simply councils of men- as fallible as the next.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:11:53 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
The Thread to Nowhere.

Somebody call Sarah Palin. We need some common sense.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »
The Thread to Nowhere.

Somebody call Sarah Palin. We need some common sense.

Oh, I don't agree with that.  I find it fascinating reading. I'm not expecting a definitive conclusion--it's faith after all. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
I think we are seeing why I like the KISS principle.

;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

;)

Same here.  Which is why I'm mostly staying out of it (other than making sure Holy War isn't breaking out).   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

;)

Same here.  Which is why I'm mostly staying out of it (other than making sure Holy War isn't breaking out).   ;D

Yes, keep the peace...you hear the word "heresy" another schism is in the offing!