Author Topic: Toyota: The Market Doesn't Want Electric Cars  (Read 1540 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Toyota: The Market Doesn't Want Electric Cars
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »
If we had a "Duh" category I put this there. As it it, since the urgency of electric cars at this time in the history of the auto industry is a response to the non-reality of GlobalClimateChangeâ„¢, I thought I'd put it here.

Toyota drops plan for widespread sales of electric car

(Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp has scrapped plans for widespread sales of a new all-electric minicar, saying it had misread the market and the ability of still-emerging battery technology to meet consumer demands....

...By dropping plans for a second electric vehicle in its line-up, Toyota cast more doubt on an alternative to the combustion engine that has been both lauded for its oil-saving potential and criticized for its heavy reliance on government subsidies in key markets like the United States.

"The current capabilities of electric vehicles do not meet society's needs, whether it may be the distance the cars can run, or the costs, or how it takes a long time to charge," said, Uchiyamada, who spearheaded Toyota's development of the Prius hybrid in the 1990s...

There's an obvious answer, Toyota. Embrace the subsidies, and agree to become part of the government's propaganda machine. Then they'll buy entire fleets of your electric cars for bureaucrats in order to create a "demand" narrative.

Or.... just do what you're doing. Scrap it, and call out the clowns.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Toyota: The Market Doesn't Want Electric Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
We're told 200+ coal-fired power plants are closing by the end of the year -- keeping in mind as it's now the end of September that "the end of the year" is a tad bit more than three months -- which means less and less electricity production all over the country and what there will be produced will cost more and more.  Touting an electric car with this in mind has to be considered part of the UNsanity running rampant all over the place right now, and it appears to me Toyota knows this full well.

It's not just the sheer economic foolishness of it, subsidies notwithstanding, it's the longer term unsustainability of the very concept.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »

Or.... just do what you're doing. Scrap it, and call out the clowns.

::thumbsup::

Good business trumps stupid idealogy. See why BO and his ilk hate capitalism.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
Look for Toyota to experience more mysterious failures of its gas-guzzling models and lots of lawyers and lawsuits.

Eventually telling America to eff off and pulling up stakes will occur, if the Proglodytes continue their reign of terror...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
Look for Toyota to experience more mysterious failures of its gas-guzzling models and lots of lawyers and lawsuits.

Eventually telling America to eff off and pulling up stakes will occur, if the Proglodytes continue their reign of terror...

Exactly.  Look for the regime to sic LaHood on them again. How dare they contradict His Royal Highness, and how dare they operate factories with non-union labor!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »

Exactly.  Look for the regime to sic LaHood on them again. How dare they contradict His Royal Highness, and how dare they operate factories with non-union labor!

A dream sequence where a Japanese executive confronts LaHood, LaHood admits his treachery and the executive grabs a katana and dispatches the fool like a piece of sushi is dancing through my imagination...

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
Seriously, I'd look for Toyota to start rising again.  Let's look at car companies going Full Retard into electric vs. those that aren't.

GM.  Full Retard.  Where's their R&D going?  The Volt and where else?  Their share has dropped another 2%, despite their chest thumping about being #1.  What excites you about any upcoming GM product?  Me neither.

Nissan.  Full Retard.  So much R&D went into the Leaf that other models are starting to suffer.  Sure the Altima is probably among the best but what else?  Most are going for small SUV's/Crossovers.  How does the Rogue compare to recently redesigned Mazda, Honda, Hyundai, and yes, Ford?  Nissan is starting to lose market share.

Mazda, the little car company that doesn't have the budget for electric nonsense, so they plow all their R&D money into getting more out of existing designs?  Where has that led them?  Probably the top ranked small car in Mazda3 and my car, the CX-5, one of the top ranked small SUVs, and according to my Mazda spam, a new Mazda6 based on the same tech for 2014.  Clicking on all cylinders.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
And another ....

Taxpayer-Funded EV Company Abandons IPO It Thought Would Save It

The failing British electric vehicle company that pretended to become an American one in order to save its U.K. investors has scrapped its planned initial public offering that it hoped would save it in Kansas City.

Smith Electric Vehicles, recipient of $32 million in taxpayer stimulus, had reportedly fantasized it would raise $76 million (down from $125 million) via an IPO by selling roughly 4 ½ million shares at $16 to $18 each. CEO Bryan Hansel bowed to reality Thursday night and rescinded those plans.

It was Claire McCaskill's $32 million dollar big fat idea.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
They shouldn't have called it the Prius - they should have named it the Hubris  ;D

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
So the company that produced the only hybrid which actually had sales....doesn't want in the electric car business. Toyota understands, even with millions in gov't cheese, it still won't make money.

Now, that truck they produce....nice.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
They shouldn't have called it the Prius - they should have named it the Hubris  ;D

Heh. Oh wait, truth in advertising!  Bad 'Soup, bad!  No biscuit!

;D