Author Topic: Organs taken from Live Patients - Doctors were Pressured to Declare Brain Dead  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
H/T: JoeMiller.us

The New York Organ Donor Network pressured hospital staffers to declare patients brain dead so their body parts could be harvested — and even hired “coaches” to train staffers how to be more persuasive, a bombshell lawsuit charged yesterday.

The federally funded nonprofit used a “quota” system, and leaned heavily on the next of kin to sign consent forms when patients were not registered as organ donors, the suit charged.

“They’re playing God,” said plaintiff Patrick McMahon, 50, an Air Force combat veteran and nurse practitioner who claims he was fired as a transplant coordinator after just four months for protesting the practice.

The suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, cited four examples of improper organ harvesting.

In September 2011, a 19-year-old man injured in a car wreck was admitted to Nassau University Medical Center. He was still trying to breathe and showed signs of brain activity, the suit charged.

But doctors declared him brain dead under pressure from donor-network officials, including Director Michael Goldstein, who allegedly said during a conference call: “This kid is dead, you got that?” the suit charged.

Read more from this story HERE.

Something has always given me the creeps about treating human beings as a container of spare parts. I think it just ties into the general change in the culture, the deprecation of a spiritual concept of humanity in favor of a purely materialist one. This is not to say organ transplants are a bad thing, who knows how many thousands or millions of lives have been saved or vastly improved as a result. But the commodification of people puts me ill at ease, especially considering recent political developments with regard to medicine.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Something has always given me the creeps about treating human beings as a container of spare parts. I think it just ties into the general change in the culture, the deprecation of a spiritual concept of humanity in favor of a purely materialist one. This is not to say organ transplants are a bad thing, who knows how many thousands or millions of lives have been saved or vastly improved as a result. But the commodification of people puts me ill at ease, especially considering recent political developments with regard to medicine.

I agree.  I had a family member who lived over 10 years as a result of an organ transplant.  I can tell you I appreciated having him around so much longer.  Yet organ transplants bother me.  Not in the sense it's "gross" or anything.  I've long suspected that there's pressure on families to "accept" their loved one will not recover and can "help" someone else.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Confirms something I always suspected and was fearful to learn.

With the erosion of ethics and morals in society at large it is only a matter of when not if that once unthinkable horrors become commonplace.

I'm sure ObamaCare will restore ethics and morality to the medical profession, it will be a great match to go along with those massive savings and quality care coming our way.

/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Imagine the government in charge of spare parts??Scares me just thinking about it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Imagine the government in charge of spare parts??Scares me just thinking about it.

I have already told MichelleO that she can donate my organs to others if they are in a shape someone wants them, but I do NOT fill out a donor card.  I want that decsion to rest only with my spouse. I don't want any one who might  profit from my demise into be in charge of keeping me alive..

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

I have already told MichelleO that she can donate my organs to others if they are in a shape someone wants them, but I do NOT fill out a donor card.  I want that decsion to rest only with my spouse. I don't want any one who might  profit from my demise into be in charge of keeping me alive..

I'm of the same mind.  I want my husband and/or children making the final decision knowing how I feel about life.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!

I'm of the same mind.  I want my husband and/or children making the final decision knowing how I feel about life.

I made mention of this to my wife and her attitude is that nobody is taking anything from me mo matter what. Not worth the argument for me to get into.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

I made mention of this to my wife and her attitude is that nobody is taking anything from me mo matter what. Not worth the argument for me to get into.

That's right.  Because she knows she can't trust what she might be told if and when organ donations are at issue.  I don't blame her, and I second that motion.

>:(
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Random had beautiful, piercing green eyes. When she signed up for her learners permit she checked the donor box on the application. Later they asked me if I was still willing to consent to the donation and I agreed. I like to think that a small part of her survives.

As for me, I've instructed them to put my corpse out at the curb with the rest of the trash. My brother told me that they won't take hazardous waste though.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I'm going to take a different, more cautionary view on this, and here's why.

Google "accretive health" and "fairview" with a "minnesota" tossed in to narrow the search results.

In it you will find a similar story of an evil behemoth medical corporation using underhanded tactics to rake poor patients over the coals for fun and profit.

I can attest with certainty (with knowledge of a nature that I cannot disclose) that the Accretive Health/Fairview "scandal" was 100% manufactured bullsh*t designed to pad the resume of an ambitious Leftist Attorney General.

Before I am willing to assume that evil organ harvesters were tricksing poor grief-stricken relatives into donating the organs of their living relatives, I want to know exactly who is doing the accusing.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson