Author Topic: Andy Williams, 84  (Read 1220 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Andy Williams, 84
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
Andy Williams, 84

ST. LOUIS (AP) — With a string of gold albums, a hit TV series and the signature “Moon River,” Andy Williams was a voice of the 1960s, although not the ‘60s we usually hear about.

“The old cliche says that if you can remember the 1960s, you weren’t there,” the singer once recalled. “Well, I was there all right, but my memory of them is blurred — not by any drugs I took but by the relentless pace of the schedule I set myself.”

Williams’ plaintive tenor, boyish features and wholesome, middle-America appeal helped him outlast many of the rock stars who had displaced him and such fellow crooners as Frank Sinatra and Perry Como. He remained on the charts into the 1970s, hosting hugely popular Christmas TV specials, and continued to perform in his 80s at the Moon River Theatre he built in Branson, Mo.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Andy Williams, 84
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
RIP.

Boy, they seem to be dropping like flies lately.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
RIP.

The older we get, the more they drop. It's just the nature of things, I suppose. As we come closer to the time when our peers begin to die of old age... well... it's the nature of things.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:09 PM »
My Father liked his tunes.

RIP Andy.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
RIP

Andy Williams Christmas Special (1985) - Part 2

I've always liked his versions of Christmas songs.  You know when I was younger I thought he was so old.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
RIP.

The older we get, the more they drop. It's just the nature of things, I suppose. As we come closer to the time when our peers begin to die of old age... well... it's the nature of things.

"I get up in the morning and scan the obituaries. If I don't see my name I make breakfast" - Henny Youngman

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
My mom was very upset by this,she always saw him as a nice talented man.BTW he was a repub.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie