Author Topic: Debate Part Uno  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Debate Part Uno
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I hear Plugs is taking 6 days to prep for Ryan, he could have 60 years and still stink on ice!   ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2012, 08:20:56 PM »
I hear Plugs is taking 6 days to prep for Ryan, he could have 60 years and still stink on ice!   ::hysterical::

Breitbart's Joel Pollak offers a word of caution in that regard...

VP Debate Preview: How to Beat Paul Ryan

Rep. Paul Ryan is an excellent debater, having bested President Barack Obama himself and many other opponents besides. But Ryan also has a few vulnerable points that Vice President Joe Biden will try to exploit at their debate at Centre College in Danville, KY on Thursday night. The way to defeat Ryan is to use his intellectual strengths against him, and emphasize the human side behind his abstract numbers, theories and policies.

That is something Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz--not the best of debaters, which is why the party has sidelined her during the last critical weeks of the campaign--managed to do during an exchange with Ryan in March 2010 over Obamacare on Fox News Sunday. Ryan arrived at the studio armed with facts and figures--and a portable “Ross Perot” chart--and destroyed the budget pretensions of Wasserman Schultz and her Democrats, who claimed Obamacare reduced the deficit.

Her defense was simple:

Worth the read, just to keep in mind that while Ryan is brilliant, he DOES venture into the wonkish weeds, and while Biden is a buffoon, he DOES have a knack for making emotional connections with voters.

There's a reason that each man is who, what, and where he is, and I would say that in a debate format, it is not a given that Ryan will wipe the floor with Biden. It is highly likely, but not a given.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
  Never underestimate a man that's backed into a corner. Plugs is in a corner.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

Plugs most likely is feeling the pressure. His boss was just schooled. He may be in the corner, but he is wearing the dunces hats.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »

I bet his head fits perfectly.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I completely agree with IDP's words of caution. Biden could be a problem. Or he could be pure comedy gold. The problem is that he is a loose canon, a wild card. He is a total idiot but also a gifted politician. Ryan needs to treat him very, very seriously.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »

I bet his head fits perfectly.
That being said, is it true they used his head for the pattern? ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »
The only issue which bothers me about plugs is there is absolutely no expectations.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:34 AM »
I think people are over-reading the situation.  Ryan doesn't have to bone up on facts and figures, he has that already at hand, all he has to do is harken back to his rural Wisconsin roots and present his points in the language of common sense.  Let Plugs emote all he wants, it doesn't make him right, and it opens him up for a perfect smackdown..."I admire the Vice Presidents passionate defense of yadda yadda yadda but in this case his emphasis on blah blah blah is entirely misplaced and where compassion is really needed is for working Americans who the Obama-Biden Administration keeps burdening with regulations and inflationary polices, and it will get worse for the middle class when their tax increases take effect.", stuff like that... I think Ryan can rope-a-dope a dope and land several knockdowns.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »
Personally, I'd compile a list of Biden gaffs and steer the debate in that direction as much as I can......kinda like a dog eating his own vomit.

On second thought........never mind the list. Biden has gaffs in every issue. He will bumble into them.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
The only issue which bothers me about plugs is there is absolutely no expectations.

And the DNC is OK with that.Scary!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
I think people are over-reading the situation.  Ryan doesn't have to bone up on facts and figures, he has that already at hand, all he has to do is harken back to his rural Wisconsin roots and present his points in the language of common sense.  Let Plugs emote all he wants, it doesn't make him right, and it opens him up for a perfect smackdown..."I admire the Vice Presidents passionate defense of yadda yadda yadda but in this case his emphasis on blah blah blah is entirely misplaced and where compassion is really needed is for working Americans who the Obama-Biden Administration keeps burdening with regulations and inflationary polices, and it will get worse for the middle class when their tax increases take effect.", stuff like that... I think Ryan can rope-a-dope a dope and land several knockdowns.

I largely agree Libertas but I believe that Ryan's primary objective is to not allow Bidet to let the topic drift off course. Bidet will most certainly have one of his flights of fancy and the inclination is to respond to it (especially when it contains a lie about you) but Ryan has to say, "Yes well that's all well and fine for you but we were talking about tax relief".

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
Biden will play on the emotional rollercoaster that is liberalism and will have a couple of pre planned attacks. Ryan will simply need to reel him in. If ole joe leaves the reservation, it will play in Ryans favor. As long as Ryan doesn't become the numbers wonk, biden will have no place to hide.

I predict a TKO. I predict biden wipes the sweat from his forehead 5 times.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
Bidet!  Heh, that's good 'Soup!   ::thumbsup::

Flush O'Bongo/Bidet!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
Bidet!  Heh, that's good 'Soup!   ::thumbsup::

Flush O'Bongo/Bidet!

Thankee  ;)

I like it because it sneaks up on ya. 'Course I couldn't get away with pronouncing it but then there are plenty of insulting names I can call him then, too!