Author Topic: Meet the Man Who Made Cowboys Love Rhinestones  (Read 1114 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Meet the Man Who Made Cowboys Love Rhinestones
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

Though it might seem like country-western stars sprang from the womb wearing golden boots and rhinestone suits, it wasn’t always so. In fact, we owe such flashy styles to a Ukrainian-born Jew named Nudie Cohn, who was the first to mix Nashville and Hollywood, making it hip to be ostentatious.

At one time, we had 17 people working for us at the tailor shop, and a full retail store as well. You had pants makers, shirt makers, embroidery people, rhinestone studders, boot makers, and leathermen who made boots and saddles, and they were all working on Nudie designs under his label. I worked in the store right out of high school, so I was there for 20-something years. I used to ride in the Hollywood Christmas parade with him in all these crazy cars he made, starting with the 1950 Hudson and then the Pontiac Bonnevilles. They all had saddles in them with silver dollars, and that was my seat. I was the first born, the first-born grandchild with a silver dollar in her mouth.

H/T http://americandigest.org/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:16:31 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Meet the Man Who Made Cowboys Love Rhinestones
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Meet the Man Who Made Cowboys Love Rhinestones
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »
It's one of those tales that's so irregular you could hardly dream it up if it weren't real.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson