Author Topic: Bachmann: Looks like she's really gonna do it.  (Read 3618 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Bachmann: Looks like she's really gonna do it.
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I would support her with everything I've got. I worry about losing her in the 6th district though. Word is a local news anchorman who has been on TV for years is thinking about running. We'd need Bachmann's high profile to hold the seat against Don Shelby. If she runs for President and doesn't get the nomination (which I think would be likely) would she quit politics, or still run for the 6th?

From CNN...

CNN Exclusive: Michele Bachmann to form exploratory committee in June, possibly earlier

CNN has exclusively learned that Rep. Michele Bachmann will form a presidential exploratory committee. The Minnesota Republican plans to file papers for the committee in early June, with an announcement likely around that same time.

But a source close to the congresswoman said that Bachmann could form the exploratory committee even earlier than June so that she could participate in early Republican presidential debates.

"She's been telling everyone early summer," the source told CNN regarding Bachmann's planned June filing and announcement. But the source said that nothing is static.

"If you [debate sponsors] come to us and say, 'To be in our debates, you have to have an exploratory committee,' then we'll say, 'Okay, fine...I'll go file the forms.'"

Three GOP presidential primary debates are planned before and during early June: The first one on May 2 at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, California and another on May 5 in South Carolina. CNN plans a GOP presidential primary debate in New Hampshire in early June.

Meanwhile, CNN has also learned that Iowa Republican state Sen. Kent Sorenson has been hired to be Bachmann's political director for the state - and that Bachmann aides hope to have a complete team together for Iowa by this weekend.

Sorenson is a prominent Tea Party figure in Iowa and holds sway with evangelicals in the state.

The three-term congresswoman hopes to also have political teams in place - very soon - in New Hampshire, home to the first-in-the-nation presidential primary, and South Carolina, host of the first presidential primary in the South.

"I should have state directors in all those states within a week," Bachmann Chief of Staff Andy Parrish said.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Bachmann: Looks like she's really gonna do it.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Stay where you are, Michelle.  You're needed there.

And frankly, 4 years in congress isn't experience enough, IMHO.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »
Stay where you are, Michelle.  You're needed there.

It's probably a good thing. The longer they're there, the worse they get.
I would support her, work for her and donate

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
If I knew Michelle I would ask her who she is going to support for her current seat.

No Retreads.

Bachmann/West    ::USA::Save America ::USA::    West/Bachmann          

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
Ya wanna know what I think is going on? I think she intends to:

a) Make damn sure the Tea Party has the strongest representation possible in the primaries
b) Force the other candidates to address Tea party concerns
c) Energize the Tea Party Base
d) Raise tons of dough
e) Upset the applecart in Iowa
f) Reinforce Tea Party organization & boots on the ground in MN
g) Throw her full support behind Tim Pawlenty at the right time, and bring the Tea Party to him.

My gut tells me she has no honest designs on the Presidency. I may be completely wrong, but it doesn't "feel true" to me for her to be jumping in right now. Pawlenty is a good conservative with a couple blemishes and a great track record of executive experience. They've had a good working relationship at the state level, with Pawlenty in the state House and Bachmann in the state Senate, and then with Pawlenty as Governor while Bachmann was in state Senate leadership.

That's what my gut tells me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:54:19 AM »
If I knew Michelle I would ask her who she is going to support for her current seat.

No Retreads.

Without knowing a thing, my guess would be Tom Emmer. He was the state House rep for my district, and just lost the governorship by a very narrow margin in November. He's from this district, and he won the governor's race by a WIDE margin in this district.

Believe me, Emmer is as conservative as they get.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »
Stay where you are, Michelle.  You're needed there.

It's probably a good thing. The longer they're there, the worse they get.
I would support her, work for her and donate

I agree. I think we attach wayyyyy too much importance to prior elected office. Now that doesn't excuse the current incompetent in the White House. His resume is devoid of executive experience of any kind, save a no-show job running a legal journal.

If anything, too much time in legislative office is a detriment. A legislator in many ways cultivates the opposite sort of mentality that you need in a Chief Executive. What is her experience prior to being in Congress?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
Funny thing about Emmer.  I hear him more now (seems he's always on KTLK in the morning) then when he was runnin for governor.  Emmer would have been good.

Speaking about KTLK, what happened to Chris Baker in the morning?  Yes you Glenn Beck listeners the one and the same who was OUR morning guy.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
Funny thing about Emmer.  I hear him more now (seems he's always on KTLK in the morning) then when he was runnin for governor.  Emmer would have been good.

Speaking about KTLK, what happened to Chris Baker in the morning?  Yes you Glenn Beck listeners the one and the same who was OUR morning guy.

I have heard no reason given for Baker's departure. But apparently he's on in the afternoons in Houston again, as of February.

Emmer is true-blue.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
...What is her experience prior to being in Congress?

Anti-abortion activist, mother of 5, foster mother of 23, school choice advocate, charter school founder & board member, federal tax attorney, state Senator, US House representative.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
I would tend to agree with your assessment IDP. I remember a time when Condoleeza Rice said a few things that were inspirational and comforting. The reaction from some was to name her as the GOP's  presumptive champion in '08. I could see that it wasn't just premature - it was misplaced energy bordering on idolatry. Folks hungering for a "white knight" glomming onto anyone or anything that they feel will "save" them. Even conservatives can be seduced by this phenomenon.

OK, so now you're saying, "WTH is soup talking about NOW?!

Simple. If we're going to have a serious conversation about the race for the presidency, we must touch on electability. It isn't enough to choose someone based on a commonality of values, a suitable resume, or an ability to communicate. The person has to be electable.

The disturbing truth is that a Mitt Romney is electable, but a Sarah Palin is not. Michelle Bachmann is not. I do not like Romney and (as a matter of fact) despise several of his stances on issues. I would likely pass on the opportunity to vote for him. Conversely, I dig Sarah. I dig what Sarah has to say. I would eagerly cast a vote for her. but, as a betting man, in a head to head my money is on Mitt winning the prize, not Sarah.

Not by my wish, but as a recognition of political reality.

And the same is true of Michelle. There are too many who would not allow her to sustain a campaign for the GOP nomination. She's perfectly cast in her present role, and her addition to the conservative conversation is welcomed, but no further. Sorry if the truth offends.

What Michelle is doing right now is invaluable and I applaud her for it. i  hope that she doesn't waste her resources on fruitless pursuits.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
The minute it became obvious Barbour was not going to run I supported Romney.
I supported him wholeheartedly and believed him far superior to the other candidates.
No more. I and many like me will not support anyone from the ruling class.

Ya wanna know what I think is going on? I think she intends to:

a) Make damn sure the Tea Party has the strongest representation possible in the primaries
b) Force the other candidates to address Tea party concerns
c) Energize the Tea Party Base
d) Raise tons of dough
e) Upset the applecart in Iowa
f) Reinforce Tea Party organization & boots on the ground in MN
g) Throw her full support behind Tim Pawlenty at the right time, and bring the Tea Party to him.

My gut tells me she has no honest designs on the Presidency. I may be completely wrong, but it doesn't "feel true" to me for her to be jumping in right now. Pawlenty is a good conservative with a couple blemishes and a great track record of executive experience. They've had a good working relationship at the state level, with Pawlenty in the state House and Bachmann in the state Senate, and then with Pawlenty as Governor while Bachmann was in state Senate leadership.

That's what my gut tells me.

That's typical of her, sacrificing personal ambition for the nation.

(prolly not be Pawlenty)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:30:16 AM »
IDP, I respect your opinion, but disagree about Pawlenty.
I see him as just another moderate.
For me, he would be one of those I'd hold my nose for but would vote for.

Alphabet Soup. On electability, how do you come to the conclusion that Palin is unelectable but Romney is?
I believe Reagan was considered unelectable,too.
I don't really think Michelle has a serious chance.

Palin is polarizing but she gets people moving. I do have (and have said elsewhere) that I do have some issues with her but would support her.

On principles alone, I would pick Bachmann over all of the current crop. Palin would be my second

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »

Alphabet Soup. On electability, how do you come to the conclusion that Palin is unelectable but Romney is?

Palin is polarizing but she gets people moving. I do have (and have said elsewhere) that I do have some issues with her but would support her.

On principles alone, I would pick Bachmann over all of the current crop. Palin would be my second

I don't view Palin as polarizing....I view a liberal media painting her as polarizing. I believe she is more than electable, a mainstream conservative. She scares the left to death. She will draw every single conservative to vote. No vote will be left behind.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
For me, he would be one of those I'd hold my nose for but would vote for....

I'm just relating my impression after 8 years of Pawlenty as my governor. I think labeling him as a "moderate" is accurate in that he is mild-mannered, not in-your-face, and typically political in his demeanor and rhetoric. That kind of demeanor is not what I would choose for this critical moment in history. And he supported McCain, even though he's nothing like McCain.

But he is not politically moderate. He's conservative/center-right, both fiscally and socially. He held the line in every way he could. That means that when he was elected and the MN legislature was in the hands of the GOP, he cut taxes, returned the budget surplus to the people, cut spending, signed concealed carry, and basically governed as conservatively as he could get away with in MN, and as conservatively as one could have desired.

Then he lost the legislature. He was forced to compromise on certain things for the rest of his tenure, but he always fought hard for conservatives, and he always forced the Democrats to come his way, rather than just capitulating. When the Democrats refused to budge, he was not afraid to use executive orders to slash spending. He even tried to implement a de facto line item veto to thwart them. Even though state law has no such provision, he had the temerity to find a technicality that could act as a LIV, and he used it, even though the Democrats and the local media wailed and gnashed their teeth.

His cardinal sin was embracing Global Warming and its bastard-child, Cap-n-Trade. But a lot of good people were swayed by the false scientific claims. He has full-throatedly denounced his embrace of Cap-n-Trade. One must decide whether he genuinely changed his mind, whether he rejects it now because of political opportunism, or whether he embraced it in the first place because of political opportunism. I think he believed what he was being told.

If Pawlenty gets the nomination, he won't be my first choice, and I have little confidence he can win. But in my opinion, America and the GOP could do a HELL of a lot worse. Of the people who it appears are going to run, only Palin, Bachmann, and Cain garner my enthusiastic support. I would crawl across broken glass for miles for any of them. But if they can't get the nomination, Pawlenty is next in line for me, unless someone else jumps in or something else changes. He's a good man. Trustworthy. He's milquetoast, when we need steel. But he's reliably conservative, and we need that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:06:17 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
T-Paw is a non-confrontational, cautious conservative who always has the potential to be really good...but I think he is too much of a nice guy, really, a really nice guy...to ever rise to anything approaching greatness.

I thnk IDP's outline is spot on about Bachmann and her intentions, but I disagree that she would necessarily throw her endorsement to T-Paw.  I think, even if she is out of the delegate race, she'll wait until the right time to endorse the person she best thinks can carry our agenda forward.  So the timing of her endorsement and who she endorses is completely up to her.  She cannot causally throw her support, nor wait too long, not while carrying the Tea Party Caucus chair.

And given the timing involved, she has some time to decisde on the fate of her House seat, if surrendered, I could do a lot worse than Emmer, that's for sure.

But part of me is selfish and I like her representing me and wish her to stay put.  But if Emmer replaces her in the district and she does well in the big race, I'd not be disappointed in that.  But I think IDP's angle is the most likely outline that will unfold.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »

When I do my analysis I try to divorce myself from lefty opinion - it's irrelevant anyway since none of them are going to vote for any of us. I also try to steer clear of fakes like David Brooks who are frauds in Republican clothing. I do listen to as much right-wing opinion as possible before forming my own opinions.

What I've seen is that Romney is more palatable or acceptable to more people from the middle and on the right than Sarah Palin is. Acceptability translates into votes and votes win elections. Ideologically Palin is a conservative and Romney is not (or nominally). That makes Palin much more attractive to me, but I recognize that I only represent the right wing of the right-wing.

Now, why there is such a negative perception of her isn't a mystery - it is the result of a lamestream smear campaign of unprecedented proportion. Not liking it or agreeing with it doesn't change that fact that it was effective in creating huge negatives in public perceptions.

Can Palin overcome it? I don't know. I would never count her out, but it will be a big job.

Once again I'd like to emphasize that these aren't the cards I'd like to play - these are the cards we've been dealt.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
...Once again I'd like to emphasize that these aren't the cards I'd like to play - these are the cards we've been dealt.

I tend to agree with most of what you're saying regarding accepting political and electoral realities Soup, but I also think that (to stick with the card analogy) the anti-Palin cards have been dealt from a stacked deck, and everybody knows it at some level - even Leftists.

Reagan was considered unelectable at this point in the primary process as well. But as races heat up, attention begins to focus. If somehow Palin were to win the nomination, it would no longer be a question of whether she was electable or not, but rather, who will make the better President between her and O'Chimpy, and who are we going to elect. I think that she may well come out on the good side of the ledger when the question of electability fades and the question of who will lead the nation becomes primary. And I would REALLY like her chances if Obama continues to blunder everything he touches. Reagan was elected under similar - albeit not as dire - conditions.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:12 PM »
Thanks, IDP, for the assessment on Pawlenty.
Since you're on the ground there, you're better informed than me
I do know that NumbersUSA has him rated higher than anyone else with a C+ rating