Author Topic: Mission to the edge of space  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Mission to the edge of space
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »
Sorry for the short notice - I just came across this on the 'net. This guy is going to attempt a freefall from ~26 miles.
Watch here: http://www.redbullstratos.com/live?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Mission to the edge of space
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
This guy is going to die

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
Actually he just touched down after a record-setting freefall from 128,000 feet. He set three records including the fastest freefall at ~766mph.

And no government intrusion in any of it.

American ingenuity and pursuit of excellence at its finest!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
I thought the guy had cajones that clank until I read up on the previous record holder. Col. Joseph Kittinger may have had his records broken, but he's STILL got bigger cajones. Not to say what was accomplished today was easy.

This is a real man.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
I thought the guy had cajones that clank until I read up on the previous record holder. Col. Joseph Kittinger may have had his records broken, but he's STILL got bigger cajones. Not to say what was accomplished today was easy.

This is a real man.

Agreed- absolutely! As I understand it Kittinger advised Baumgartner on this endeavor.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »

This is a real man.

Actually at this point we don't know the condition of Felix's cajones . After a jump from 128,000 feet they may be the size of tomato seeds . That pressure suit may need some work .
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:19:04 PM by Sectionhand »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
His grapes may have turned into raisins

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »

::hysterical::

On a serious side, I watched this, or rather I kept flipping over to it until the final checklist was in process...that first step would have filled my pressure suit!

Drudge has it on his page, let's see if I can replicate -

That early tumbling and spinning would have had me tossing all over my visor!

833.9mph for a new record, only record not broken is longest free-fall, but when you want a speed record I guess the other has to give.

"Baumgartner's team included Joe Kittinger, who first tried to break the sound barrier from 19.5 miles up in 1960, reaching speeds of 614 mph. With Kittinger inside mission control, the two men could be heard going over technical details during the ascension."
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPERSONIC_SKYDIVER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-14-11-33-29

This is pretty impressive, but the technology of today compared to over 50 years ago IMO makes what Joe did that much more impressive.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

It was thoughtful of them to hire Joe as tech adviser.   ::thumbsup::  ;)

There are good pics and vids @:    http://gizmodo.com/5951725/first-head-cam-footage-from-daredevils-space-jump

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
Good link CO!   ::thumbsup::

"breakaway–or break-off–phenomenon"

I'm feelin' me some of that this election!  Free of Obama!   ::whoohoo::

Man, these guys really did face a number of dangers back then.  Between these guys, early test pilots and the genesis of NASA...ufda...real hairy-chested men did this stuff!   ::USA::

On a regional note, had no idea Minnesota was involved in any of this, the deserts of the Southwest and high desert of CA saw so much more.

http://stratocat.com.ar/fichas-e/1957/CBY-19570819.htm
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

::hysterical::

On a serious side, I watched this, or rather I kept flipping over to it until the final checklist was in process...that first step would have filled my pressure suit!

Drudge has it on his page, let's see if I can replicate -

That early tumbling and spinning would have had me tossing all over my visor!

833.9mph for a new record, only record not broken is longest free-fall, but when you want a speed record I guess the other has to give.

"Baumgartner's team included Joe Kittinger, who first tried to break the sound barrier from 19.5 miles up in 1960, reaching speeds of 614 mph. With Kittinger inside mission control, the two men could be heard going over technical details during the ascension."
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPERSONIC_SKYDIVER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-14-11-33-29

This is pretty impressive, but the technology of today compared to over 50 years ago IMO makes what Joe did that much more impressive.

I don't know why but every time I see him step offr into that free fall I think of that Looney Tunes sound effect ... " Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyooooooooooooooooooooooop " !