Author Topic: Texting while driving: Connecticut, Massachusetts to use police spotters  (Read 1448 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
The federal government is giving $550,000 to Connecticut and Massachusetts for pilot projects to crack down on people who text while driving.

Each state is getting $275,000 grants to develop “high-visibility anti-texting enforcement programs,” which will include stationing police spotters on highway overpasses looking for motorists who can’t keep their fingers off the keypad.

“We have come a long way in our fight against distracted driving, but there is still much work to be done,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Tuesday in announcing the grants. “Texting behind the wheel is especially dangerous, which is why we’re working with states like Connecticut and Massachusetts to address this important safety issue.”

Connecticut and Massachusetts?    ::falldownshocked::

link
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Hey, LaHood?  Fire yourself!   ::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
Hey, LaHood?  Fire yourself!   ::mooning::

When I see his name I want to  ::puke::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Just think how many wastes of taxpayer funds like this are going on?  How many ridiculous efforts meant only to spread the wealth as government sees fit, regardless the impact on citizens, regardless their effectiveness or legality or need?

Everybody in this Regime cannot be sent packing fast enough to suit me!

::gaah::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
Just think how many wastes of taxpayer funds like this are going on?  How many ridiculous efforts meant only to spread the wealth as government sees fit, regardless the impact on citizens, regardless their effectiveness or legality or need?

And yet I bet if you asked people about this they'd say it's needed.  Why?  Because they know they're children who have no self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

And yet I bet if you asked people about this they'd say it's needed.  Why?  Because they know they're children who have no self-control.

Yeah, and "Speak for yourself!" zooms right over their heads...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.

I swear by the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the Sky, a woman I know said she's happy it's been made illegal here to talk on the cellphone while driving and it took two tickets to make her stop.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

I swear by the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the Sky, a woman I know said she's happy it's been made illegal here to talk on the cellphone while driving and it took two tickets to make her stop.

It's not enough to risk killing yourself or someone else.  It takes a ticket or two.

Money motivates.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
It's clear to me that texting and driving should be illegal.

It's equally clear to me that it is none of the federal government's damned business.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
It's clear to me that texting and driving should be illegal.

It's equally clear to me that it is none of the federal government's damned business.

::thumbsup::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Eden Prairie, MN police camp out intersections, to stare into the back seats of cars, to determine of they are buckled.  If they're not, $100+ fine.

That is asshattery beyond looking for texters, imho.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Eden Prairie, MN police camp out intersections, to stare into the back seats of cars, to determine of they are buckled.  If they're not, $100+ fine.

That is asshattery beyond looking for texters, imho.

It is easier, more lucrative and less dangerous than having to actually police the sh*tty areas of town where 90% the crime is taking place.

And it is a system favored by worthless political jackasses and union asshats.