Author Topic: Finally!!  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Finally!!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
For ease of mag loading, proceed to your favorite retailer and get thyself one of these: http://www.maglula.com/PistolMagLoaders.aspx

There's lots of demo videos on YouTube.  I have one, it's great.

I ordered one up on your recommendation. Arthritis is starting to catch up with me and makes loading .40 & .45 a challenge at times - especially in the cold.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
Cool, you will not be disappointed.  They're better than the mag loaders that a lot of guns come with, because you don't have to lift it back up for the next round.  Once you get the hang of it you can load mags as quickly as you can shove a new round in.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
I have a Bersa and yes, the last bullet is hard to load. I like it to carry but the lest few times I've shot I've had a jam.

Really?  Mfg rounds or self-loaded?

Mfg rounds. American Eagle. I use them to practice. I carry a different round but for the life of me can't think of its name.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »
I have a Bersa and yes, the last bullet is hard to load. I like it to carry but the lest few times I've shot I've had a jam.

Really?  Mfg rounds or self-loaded?

Mfg rounds. American Eagle. I use them to practice. I carry a different round but for the life of me can't think of its name.

Not a big fan of AE, I like using Win FMJ at the range with most my guns, have not had any issues with it with the Bersa.  It's probably not a bad thing that gals like the Bersa, unlike the lighter "pocket-pistols" the Bersa's weight and handle design help create a better grip and less looseness that can sometimes cause feed errors.

ETA - I like Hornady Critical Defense rounds for carry.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »

Not a big fan of AE, I like using Win FMJ at the range with most my guns, have not had any issues with it with the Bersa.  It's probably not a bad thing that gals like the Bersa, unlike the lighter "pocket-pistols" the Bersa's weight and handle design help create a better grip and less looseness that can sometimes cause feed errors.

That may be the round I use when carrying. I know this, the AE bullet makes a small hole in a piece of plywood....The other round makes a large hole.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »

How does a better grip cause feed errors?Not being a smart ass.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »

A better grip doesn't cause feed errors, it helps avoid them.  A firmer grip -- and a stiffer wrist -- allows the slide to work properly to fire the round and eject the spent brass.

I was having trouble with my first .45 jamming at the range and the chickie behind the counter accused me of "limp-wristing it".  Turns out the ejector part itself was faulty.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

A better grip doesn't cause feed errors, it helps avoid them.  A firmer grip -- and a stiffer wrist -- allows the slide to work properly to fire the round and eject the spent brass.

I was having trouble with my first .45 jamming at the range and the chickie behind the counter accused me of "limp-wristing it".  Turns out the ejector part itself was faulty.

Thanks.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
For some reason .45 seems more inclined to LW misfires. I've never encountered it with .22, .380, .40 or 9mm. Even my little "pocket rocket" .40 that kicks like a mule never misfires (knock on wood).

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
For some reason .45 seems more inclined to LW misfires. I've never encountered it with .22, .380, .40 or 9mm. Even my little "pocket rocket" .40 that kicks like a mule never misfires (knock on wood).

What kind is it?Or better yet what brand.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »

Colt Commander

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

Be sweet if they made a Mustang in a .40.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »

A better grip doesn't cause feed errors, it helps avoid them.  A firmer grip -- and a stiffer wrist -- allows the slide to work properly to fire the round and eject the spent brass.

::thumbsup::

And I would qulaify that too be more common with the lighter/composite pistols.  Nice to see your wrists are strong Pan, did ya give the chickie behind the counter the look?   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »

Colt Commander

Huh, wonder what is so different about that Colt?   ::whatgives::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »

A better grip doesn't cause feed errors, it helps avoid them.  A firmer grip -- and a stiffer wrist -- allows the slide to work properly to fire the round and eject the spent brass.

And I would qulaify that too be more common with the lighter/composite pistols.  Nice to see your wrists are strong Pan, did ya give the chickie behind the counter the look?   ;D

::curtsy4::

As for "the look", no; not at the time.  I was a new shooter, the Springfield .45 was my first handgun (I went right for the big-girl gun, heh), so for all I knew, she was right.  Another instructor took the gun onto the range, though, and it jammed on him, too.  Later, when we got home, Gunsmith disassembled it and found the faulty extractor.

THEN I wanted to smack her for announcing to everybody in the place that I was a wuss.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 07:59:49 AM »

::curtsy4::

As for "the look", no; not at the time.  I was a new shooter, the Springfield .45 was my first handgun (I went right for the big-girl gun, heh), so for all I knew, she was right.  Another instructor took the gun onto the range, though, and it jammed on him, too.  Later, when we got home, Gunsmith disassembled it and found the faulty extractor.

THEN I wanted to smack her for announcing to everybody in the place that I was a wuss.

Heh, but a happy ending and you are not a wuss, not by far!     ::thumbsup::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

Colt Commander

Colt Commander

Dunno.

I tend to push everything I own - +P or custom rounds. Right out of the chute the Commander was disappointing in accuracy. Note that for most of my carry life my weapon of choice was a 4" S&W .357 which was extremely accurate. A wheel gun like that is a fair chunk of metal and requires a decent grip, but is still (by virtue of the engineering principles) a lot more forgiving than the semi-auto loader.

That's when I read about limp-wristing and took a more conscious attention to my grip. The Commander still isn't as accurate as I'd like but it is serviceable.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Congrats, JF. Now I need to work on my spouse. 22 yrs and not much progress.... ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

Colt Commander

Colt Commander

Dunno.

I tend to push everything I own - +P or custom rounds. Right out of the chute the Commander was disappointing in accuracy. Note that for most of my carry life my weapon of choice was a 4" S&W .357 which was extremely accurate. A wheel gun like that is a fair chunk of metal and requires a decent grip, but is still (by virtue of the engineering principles) a lot more forgiving than the semi-auto loader.

That's when I read about limp-wristing and took a more conscious attention to my grip. The Commander still isn't as accurate as I'd like but it is serviceable.

I hear ya on the wheel guns, simple and proven over a long time, durable and reliable.  Still love shooting them and like to carry one now and then.  The more moving parts and styles/designs for semi-auto's can create as many issues as benefits from person to person.  No matter the weapon I have to have something that fits the hand well, and by well I don't necessarily mean comfortable, I just need to feel I have control of the thing.  My brother has a slim Taurus .40, first time he shot it he sliced his hand on the slide recoil, I knew it was going to happen, didn't say anything, it's one of those badges you earn and learn from.  I can shoot that thing without hurting myself and be accurate, but I don't like it because I don't like anything I can't wrap all 4 fingers around, or at least 3 digits.  And the models that have every safety in the world bug me.  I also favor S/A:D/A, I hate having to choose between one or the other.  We'll see how I like striker-fired once I pick up a Glock, got my eyes on a 21.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
The Glock trigger takes some getting used to if you are accustomed to more traditional trigger action.  But I came to appreciate it, particularly its consistent feel on every shot.  It's like DAO but without the long and heavy pull.  I also like DA/SA style, and I am with Libertas on the subject of safeties. I am a firm believer in the concept that the only "safety" is the one between your ears.  To me a safe design means a gun that absolutely will not discharge unless the trigger is fully pulled in a deliberate manner, and if those conditions are met it will not not discharge.

Some people prefer manual safety levers, and that's understandable. Personally I can do without.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly