Author Topic: Legendary Coach Proposes That The Rim Be Lowered In Women’s Basketball  (Read 1267 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
That "legendary coach" would be "UConn women’s college basketball coach Geno Auriemma".  I don't follow bball so maybe the folks who like women's college ball know who this guy is.  In any case, Mr. Legendary suggests the following:

"“What makes fans not want to watch women’s basketball is that some of the players can’t shoot and they miss layups, and that forces the game to slow down,” Auriemma told CPTV in Hartford. “How do (we) help improve that? Lower the rim [from 10 feet]. Do you think the average fan knows that the net is lower in women’s volleyball than men’s volleyball? It’s about seven inches shorter so the women have the chance for the same kind of success at the net (as the men).”

... “Let’s lower the rim seven inches, let’s say 7.2 inches to honor Title IX. If you lower it, the average fan likely wouldn’t even notice it. Now there would be fewer missed layups because the players are actually at the rim (when they shoot). Shooting percentages go up. There would be more tip-ins.”"

I have an idea; let's put the rim at three feet, so the players who can't shoot or layup (I guess the idea that the WOMEN'S team members should be able to actually, you know, PLAY, is a bit outre) are .... more successful, honored and interesting.

Good grief.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Legendary Coach Proposes That The Rim Be Lowered In Women’s Basketball
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »
From the comments, I have learned the women play with a smaller, multicolored ball as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

Oh, that's a layup isn't it?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:49:08 AM »
They can tinker all they want, it is not going to miraculously improve interest in their game...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
Yeah, I think what they're missing is that nobody wants to watch a bunch of gargantuan dykes in ill-fitting uniforms regardless of the circumstances.

Women's beach volleyball, on the other hand, remains a popular spectator sport. For obvious reasons.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »

Is that some kind of rim joke?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
 ::rimshot::

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
No, and I don't want this thread to degenerate into talking about women's boobs. (O )( O )
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
No, and I don't want this thread to degenerate into talking about women's boobs. (O )( O )

Or, worse, chin implants.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson