Author Topic: This might qualify  (Read 2483 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
This might qualify
« on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
This might be one of those tools that come in handy in a pinch.I just bought one because I need it bad as every damned bit in the house is now dead.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200320247_200320247
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Re: This might qualify
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

Been getting those coupons too, huh?

Always been curious how well they worked. 
We would appreciate a consumer review on that item.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »

Been getting those coupons too, huh?

Always been curious how well they worked. 
We would appreciate a consumer review on that item.

I'll let you know asap I have over a hundred bits to sharpen. I'm done with fishing around to find one that I can use.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:29 AM »
Heh, sounds like JF had one of them   ::gaah::   ::cussing::  moments!  Been there done that (several times)!   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Heh, sounds like JF had one of them   ::gaah::   ::cussing::  moments!  Been there done that (several times)!   ;D

I did!!To drill two miserable hole took 30 minutes and when I found a sharp one it took 2 minutes to complete the whole job. I would still be drilling away is I didn't find one lone bit.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »

I did!!To drill two miserable hole took 30 minutes and when I found a sharp one it took 2 minutes to complete the whole job. I would still be drilling away is I didn't find one lone bit.

Yeah, its fun to drill into something and after a minute you look and you are barely making a dent...you look at the bit and   ::cussing::  it's off to the hardware store!

I guess other common problems like not having the right screws on hand (not so much at the lake, my Father has jars full of everything he's hoarded for the past 50-60 years!), out of glue, wrong paint, simple stuff like drop cloths or picture hanging stuff...it's always something!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:02:17 AM »
Christmas gift, 2010.

Per Gunsmith, who goes through drill bits like he goes through socks, each time the bit is sharpened, the edge/s last less and less time.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:22 AM »
A problem is that the same friction that dulled the bit also took away a bit of the metal's temper. I can resharpen the bit all day long but I'm working with metal that is softer now than when it came out of the package. And if I'm not precise in my sharpening to keep the points exact and symmetric the bit won't bite cleanly resulting in an inexact cut, more effort to cut, and/or reduced lifespan.

Once upon a time I was taught how to sharpen and restore proper temper to bits but I've gotten lazy and simply dumped dull bits into a drawer. Since I doubt that I'll be going back to school anytime soon perhaps I'll visit the doctor....the reviews were generally positive about the DD750.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
Christmas gift, 2010.

Per Gunsmith, who goes through drill bits like he goes through socks, each time the bit is sharpened, the edge/s last less and less time.

One of my sets is like that only carbide  and I've managed to trash all of them. This drill sharpener is not supposed to heat them up. We'll see. I've been buying and storing bits for too many damned years and I won't throw them out and the cycle continues.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
This drill sharpener is not supposed to heat them up.

Because it uses a diamond stone it cuts cleaner, but (because it cuts with friction) it still generates heat so I'd still go slow.

I remember Mr. Moskowitz, my shop teacher showing us the fine art of tool sharpening and drilling us (slight pun intended) in some of the nuances. One of the things he taught was an appreciation of the stone we were using to surface the blades. If people were careless using the stone, it would get rounded off - or even worse chipped. He showed us how to dress the stone and then spent the next month shooing us away from the grinders. It seemed that some of us wanted to dress the stone every time we used it and we wore out a couple hundred dollars worth of stones.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »
  Well I did the Carbides today and it worked real well.As for getting hot goes it didn't happen to any degree,at best they were skin temp,so overheating isn't an issue.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
  Well I did the Carbides today and it worked real well.As for getting hot goes it didn't happen to any degree,at best they were skin temp,so overheating isn't an issue.

Sounds like it might be a worthy investment.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »

Sounds like it might be a worthy investment.

It was this or toss years of buying drill bits that cost good money to buy.
 Filippo Mazzie