Author Topic: Tropical Storm Sandy  (Read 13019 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Tropical Storm Sandy
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-25/new-york-about-be-hit-perfect-storm

What are the odds a perfect storm hits NYC?  Wonder if Intrade has odds on this...

Hmmm, nothing specific for Sandy, just a generic Cat2 making landfall -

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=756077
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Tropical Storm Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »

Is this a graphic of possible tracks?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

Right up the Potomac baby, we were saved from the British
maybe one more chance?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
Whelp, it looks like maybe we best go vote early after all .... just in case.

Just got off the phone with Ma in NJ and advised her to do the same.

I have to call her middle of next week and make sure they've got their ducks in a row in case the power goes out.

I don't know why, but I was thinking the storm was further out than it is.  I just heard the weather-weenies talking "peak storm" on Tuesday.

Looks like the Ma-call will have to happen on Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:10:18 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:53 AM »

Right up the Potomac baby, we were saved from the British
maybe one more chance?

Yeah, maybe DC will get an early cleansing.

OT - We had a rain and a bit of snow yesterday, it didn't stick though.  Morons at NOAA can't figure out what kind of winter we'll all have, they have us on the border of warmer & normal...these people must be using the same climate change model for all their retarded predictions!

BOT - They keep warning this storm could merge with another low-pressure up north and coincide with the full moon and stronger tides and get another "perfect" storm scenario.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:08:48 AM by Libertas »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
Remember the last time one of these babies hit?

Just sayin'

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »
Drudge linked to Bloomberg with Worst Storm in a Hundred Years Seen for Northeast US ....

Here's the pic at the top of the page ...

Here's the caption ...

"A driver maneuvers his classic American car along a wet road as a wave crashes against the Malecon in Havana, Cuba, on Oct. 25, 2012. Hurricane Sandy blasted across eastern Cuba on Thursday as a potent Category 2 storm and headed for the Bahamas after causing at least two deaths in the Caribbean."

... without, apparently, the slightest acknowledgement that the only reason "a driver" in Cuba has a "classic American car" is because these relics of a bygone area are the only cars THEY'RE ALLOWED.

Anyway, here's a bit of what they have on the storm:

"Hurricane Sandy will probably grow into a “Frankenstorm” that may become the worst to hit the U.S. Northeast in 100 years if current forecasts are correct.

Sandy may combine with a second storm coming out of the Midwest to create a system that would rival the New England hurricane of 1938 in intensity, said Paul Kocin, a National Weather Service meteorologist in College Park, Maryland. The hurricane currently passing the Bahamas has killed 21 people across the Caribbean, the Associated Press reported, citing local officials.

“What we’re seeing in some of our models is a storm at an intensity that we have not seen in this part of the country in the past century,” Kocin said in a telephone interview yesterday. “We’re not trying to hype it, this is what we’re seeing in some of our models. It may come in weaker.”

The hybrid storm may strike anywhere from the Delaware- Maryland-Virginia peninsula to southern New England. The current National Hurricane Center track calls for the system to go ashore in New Jersey on Oct. 30, although landfall predictions often change as storms get closer to shore.

A tropical-storm watch was issued from Savannah River northward to Oregon Inlet in North Carolina, the U.S. NHC said in an advisory. A tropical storm warning is in effect for Florida’s east coast from Ocean Reef to Flagler Beach. A storm watch means tropical storm conditions are possible within the region, a warning means tropical storm conditions are expected."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:06:06 AM »
Aye, the speed and intersection point, we shall see...and the 29th is darn close to the full moon so tides could be stronger.  Ufda, might not be "perfect" could be just bad enough.  I'm sure everyone is hoping for a more easterly track, keep that noise off shore.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
No doubt the Leftists are, at this very moment, strategizing as to how they might turn this storm into a loss-prevention tool for Barack Hussein Obama.

Let no crisis go to waste. Whether it's a crisis or not, expect it to be a crisis. The media will be in lockstep with whatever deviant course of action the SCoaMF says we need to take.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
Another reason to hope it stays far out to sea!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 12:05:39 PM »
I'm already a little nervous for the family up there.Spoke to them this morning making sure that they're al paying attention and will be ready before it hits,if it hits.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »
I'm already a little nervous for the family up there.Spoke to them this morning making sure that they're al paying attention and will be ready before it hits,if it hits.

Don't blame you.  I'm jittery about the Parental Units AND us.  And you.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »

Don't blame you.  I'm jittery about the Parental Units AND us.  And you.

Were good,sofar it's hasn't been any big deal.But thanks.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
No doubt the Leftists are, at this very moment, strategizing as to how they might turn this storm into a loss-prevention tool for Barack Hussein Obama.

Let no crisis go to waste. Whether it's a crisis or not, expect it to be a crisis. The media will be in lockstep with whatever deviant course of action the SCoaMF says we need to take.

I could see an extended outage of power and communications in northeastern states being turned into "we must extend time for voting in the affected areas", especially combined with results elsewhere showing a potential Romney victory (i.e. you people in the blue states, this is your extension of time to get out and prevent a Romney win).
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
That 1991 storm was the storm in The Perfect Storm.  Remember it well; I was working in Joisey and they were hardly touched.  Not so with the City.  We had a ton of rain coupled with high tides timed with the storm surge.  A lot of damage right long the coast.  There were literally waterfalls in the subway, wth some lines closed due to massive flooding, which is a rarity.  (I've seen subway lines closed because of blizzard conditions, but those are the elevated ones; the subsurface trains keep running.)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
If there were any fallout on us from Sandy, it would have happened today.  Nothing did; a little bit windy is all.

I spoke to my friend in south- central NJ about an hour ago.  She tells me she ran around yesterday trying to acquire the things I've been telling her about for a year now.  She couldn't buy a flashlight and batteries.

Me - "Whaaat?!  What have I been telling you for over a year now?!"

Her - "Well, we have a flashlight; I wanted another."

Me - "A flashlight?!  You only have one?  Do you have a lantern?"

Her - "Lantern?  What kind of lantern?"

Me -  ::gaah::   "A battery powered lantern.  You have a three-story house, counting the basement.  If the power goes out, you park the lantern in a central spot so you don't have to tie a hand up carrying/using a flashlight."

Her - "Oh.  Where do I get one of those?"

Me -  ::gaah::    ::gaah::

These people do not know how to take care of themselves, I'm telling you.  I asked my sister-in-law today about how she's fixed for a power outage.  What do you think she said?  "Oh, that's probably not going to happen."

Did I say  ::gaah::  ?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
Heh.  The "it won't happen to me crowd"...   ::facepalm::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
  I checked on the parents and the kids and everybody is ready as it gets.Finnaly I got through to all of them. Food fuel and all the little things are in the house. It took a bloody fit during the last storm from me and I don't think they want to go through that with me again.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
I took very moderate measures.
Bought some kero for the heaters,couple pieces of stovepipe to hook up the old Warm Morning (that will be reused when I hook up the wood furnace), a few batteries and an oil lamp.

My wife thinks I'm nuts and nothing will happen.
I told her she would rather be wrong and sit in the cold and dark that take a few precautions