Author Topic: Tropical Storm Sandy  (Read 13186 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Tropical Storm Sandy
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
  I got lucky all my people were ready and waiting and the power never went out. Prayers for your people Pan keep us informed.

My brother inlaw came within two feet of losing the boat but he'll be out of power for at least a week at his condo. He's another one that knows it all.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
My brother lost power last night around 5 and got it back around 2:30 today. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »

Hurricane formation points for the month of October from the years 1851 to 2007.  Interesting.

http://maxmayfieldshurricaneblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/h-formation-pts-oct-1851-2007.jpg

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
Cuber sure seems like an attractant.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:32 AM »
Thoughts on the storm...

Wondering if the same snobby north east voices will be saying (as they always have in the past) that it's pretty stupid to locate expensive structures and stuff next to ocean shoreline where storms come in. My guess is they will be re-building in same spot.

On balance probably not such a smart idea to cut power to areas that might need storm sewer pumps to operate. I seem to remember that this was one of the big problems in New Orleans. Once the pumps got submerged there was no way to turn them back on since the motors themselves were also submerged and in some cases not waterproof.

This is going to be a pretty damned expensive storm to recover from. And not because it was a particularly nasty storm but rather that it hit such a densely populated area.

Maybe not such a good idea to have tunnels located so close to waterways. I'm thinking they are going to be closed for a while. Even after they get the water pumped out they will have to inspect and repair them before they can be safely reopened.

The whole "boardwalk next to ocean" concept should probably be reconsidered. I'm guessing that thousands of pieces of heavy lumber flying through the air and harpooning anything in their path is totally no fun to be around.

Anyone think that there is the slightest possibility that the authorities might decide to one day relocate electric utilities underground in areas subject to high winds? No, me neither. It's way more fun spending weeks and zillions of dollars putting things back the way they were. You know, there's just nothing like having no electricity with winter weather days away. Oh, well maybe there is...I think it's called camping. Or cave dwelling.

UK Daily Mail has fairly awesome picture collection here.

Lots of people thought that life in New York and New Jersey really sucked and there is no way that it could possibly be worse. They were wrong.

I am really glad that I live in Colorado. Of course, we have forest fires and they really suck, too. So that's life, eh?

Waiting for Algore's press conference about the carbon footprint for all this sh*t. Hoping that New Yorkers tar and feather him.

Wondering how many of those people who thought that planting lots and lots of trees all over Manhattan are now thinking that maybe shrubs would have been better.

"But, it's natural." That's what the northeast eco-nuts say when one of our national forests catches on fire. "It's nature...don't try and put it out...let it run it's course and oh, yeah, tough luck if any houses get burned down...you shouldn't be building where fires occur. After all, it's natural."

Just guessing but I'd be willing to wager that less than 10% of affected properties carry flood insurance. Also guessing that, as usual, they will get paid off anyway. Flood insurance is for suckers when the stupid demographic always gets bailed out by the politicians.

I wonder how the illicit drug trade in these areas will be affected? How many heroin junkies are in serious trouble in the next day or two?

Also wondering how many people in this government paradise will be rethinking their opposition to gun ownership? I wouldn't want to be there unless I was heavily armed. But that's me.

Heck, I'm wondering how many people in that burned out neighborhood in Queens had fire insurance?

One thing is for sure...a lot of people are going to be forgetting how bad the NY Jets are this year.

Hey, what a great time for a garbage worker's strike!

Locating trains underground is not looking like such a great idea in retrospect. I have no idea how long it's going to take to get all that water pumped out but I will bet that all those tunnels will have a heck of a unique smell for a long time.

I wonder if they have black mold in the northeast like they do in the south? I'm guessing they do. I'm also guessing that the insurance companies wrote that out of all the policies there like they did in the south. That's gonna be fun.

Looking on the bright side...not as much of a threat for mosquitos with winter coming on. And hey, maybe a lot of vermin got drowned. I heard that raccoons were becoming a real problem in NY. Of course, raccoons are pretty smart so they probably all survived and are probably feasting on the trash and debris.

Actually, there's not much of a bright side to this. These people are pretty much hosed.

And I really am wondering just what this will do to voting. Will a LOT of people just not bother with it? Maybe. Still don't think it will affect the outcome, though.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2012, 01:49:46 AM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 02:02:53 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

RickZ

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:06 AM »
trap, I disagree with many of your points, too many to itemize.  Let me just say that you are overreacting.  I grew up on the southeast Virginia coast, the Norfolk/Va Beach area (and only a couple of hundred miles north of Cape Hatteras).  We had hurricanes hit, though never a cat 4 or 5, but mostly lower category hurricanes or strong tropical storms.  In a flat area, it doesn't matter what you do, there is simply no place for all that water to go (sometimes for a long while and sometimes for forever [until the next late season superstorm comes barrelling through];  the isthmus in northwest Norfolk, Willoughby Spit, was created by a hurricane three hundred or so years ago, now with a thriving population as in some places it's over a mile wide /!).  You have to understand hurricanes, and hurricane season, to understand how rare this type of storm is.

First off, it's real late in the season for a hurricane to be crawling up the Atlantic coastline as the water turns noticeably cooler rather quick, and these babies do not like cold water.  Still, Sandy was a massive hurricane in size, though with only Cat 1 winds, a godsend.  Now I've been watching hurricanes for a long time, getting serious for the rest of my life with Camille, that Cat 5 Grand Dame, but more about her later.  Even being late in the season, this hurricane did that true rarity:  It zigzagged.  Most hurricanes curl and curve until slamming into land.  This girl skimmed past Cape Hatteras well out to sea.  Now if there was not this low system coming down from Canada, and a stalled high toward New England and the North Atlantic, Sandy would have been a nothing burger.  Hurricanes take the path of least resistance.  She started out looking like she'd sail away into oblivion like many hurricanes do.  But that zigging out into the North Atlantic was blocked, so she zagged.  She zagged as that large Canadian low sucked her in, combining her rains with the front's cold creating those huge blizzard totals in the WV/MD mountains, again a rarity for this time of year (these aren't the Rockies, they don't go that high).  Sandy found a convenient body of water to follow in her run toward that cold front, The Delaware Bay.  The friggin' Delaware Bay!  Again, hurricanes rarely get this far north as their are much more interesting and friendly targets south of here.  But nature happens.  There were three fronts that combined at a point in time.  There's not a whole lot you can do, no matter if it happens near a coast or in the mountains or on the plains.

With Sandy, the main problem is the storm surge coupled with full moon high tides (another of those little things that make a big whole) creating lakes where they shouldn't be.  The land is flat on the east coast, until you get into the rocky glacier coast of New England.  Being so flat, the flooding can be devastating for miles inland.  If there are heavy rains, so much the worse.  And then the wind.  We need trees along the coast, so please, enough of that.  The forests around NY have been thickly deciduous for quite some time and seem to thrive, even going so far as to make pretty leaves in the fall for the tourists.  A thunderstorm can do some serious damage to trees, and there is much less warning.  We don't do tornadoes here very often, but they are the same:  They pop up out of nowhere.  A hurricane is always a well-documented somewhere.  It doesn't take a friggin' genius to know to leave low-lying areas when a storm like this is predicted to hit you, it doesn't matter how long it's been since one hit.  Gov. Christie was right, and I would have added that those who stayed on the Jersey Shore were too stupid to breathe.  Because of all the natural events that can occur, forest fire, earthquake, tornado, flooding, a hurricane you know is coming; you also know most times a blizzard is coming, but digging out of a blizzard and digging out of a hurricane are difficult only by their degree (pun intended), but a blizzrd does not have those high sustained winds of a hurricane.  With a hurricane, you have days to get the f*ck out.  Sure property will be destroyed, just as you say you have forest fires which also destroy property.  But for some reason, and this I cannot explain even as I grew up around these formerly ladies only blowhards, people like to have 'ride out the hurricane' parties.  Don't ask me why, I really don't know.  But it wouldn't matter if Virginia Beach was built with nothing more than two stories and shrubs, once a 15 to 20 foot storm surge hits with the high tide, there is simply nothing you can do -- for miles inland.

Now back to Camille for a second.  This was the grandmomma of a hurricane from my youth.  1969.  Gulf Coast.  Cat 5.  150 mile an hour sustained winds.  She slammed into the Gulf Coast, Alabama/Mississippi.  (Wiki:  Camille and unofficially the Labor Day Hurricane were the only Atlantic hurricanes to exhibit recorded sustained wind speeds of at least 190 miles per hour (310 km/h) until Allen joined them in 1980, and remains the only confirmed Atlantic hurricane in recorded history to make landfall with wind speeds at or above such a level. The actual windspeed of Hurricane Camille will never be known, however, as it destroyed all of the wind recording instruments upon making landfall.)  There was a condo there where the whoever they were decided to have a hurricane party and drink the storm away.  Bad choice.  Once the storm passed, that condo was only the foundation, and everybody died.  Now while that was pretty spectacular in its own right, and became seared, seared in my memory, there was also the fact that while Camille did extensive coastal damage with all her charms, she went inland and quickly downgraded to a severe tropical bitch.  She dumpled a ton of water in the mountainous KY/TN/WV/VA/NC area, starting points for many rivers.  The flooding from Camille was severe.  In fact, more people died inland from the flooding than along the coast from the direct effects of the hurricane.  If you've ever driven I-95 south through Richmond, VA, as you leave the City proper, you cross the James River on a bridge that is well above the placid James.  With Camile, the James River flooded, with the water lapping over that bridge.  My brother bought the book, The Great James River Flood, and the photographs are mind-boggling.  Camille hit the Gulf Coast, but a week later, Richmond was flooded like no time in its history.  Richmond's about a hundred miles inland from the Atlantic coast.  The city didn't get hit directly by Camille, Richmond got hit by the aftereffects, the incredibly heavy rain.  Sh*t happens.  Nowhere on a birth certificate does it say life is fair.  I will add that nowhere does it say in the Constitution that if an idiot builds a house near the ocean and it gets damaged or destroyed multiple times, the government should create a program/handout for such stupidity.  But people are gonna live where people are gonna live.  I have family who could never leave the mountains of West Virginia.  I have a hard time being away from the coast, missing that salty muskiness.  I'm a coast guy, and on this coast we have hurricanes.  On the left coast, they have California.  Like I said, people are gonna live where people are gonna live.  So all things considered, I'd rather have the threat of hurricanes than the reality of California.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 06:57:01 AM »
Can't be too bad, I hear only a $100B will put everything right, even at todays Ctrl-P deflated dollars that seems a bargain.

Time to see what people are made of, time to clean up and get the power back on.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121030/DA2853183.html

Oh, y'all see that idiotic hermaphrodite AlGore, yeah, he balming humans again, says this is all due to globull warm'n!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/oct/30/picket-al-gore-blames-hurricane-sandy-global-warmi/

What a dink-head!   ::vafancoul::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
From trap's links.  As we've postulated several times, this is to be expected ....

... and this, for which the image info wasn't available ...

" antsy-pants
Wow, I really underestimated the impact Sandy made to my town.

It’s really f**king scary. Trees are down everywhere, there are roads blocked up, not one gas station actually has gas, and everyone is pretty much out for themselves it feels like. I feel like we’re not far away from looting."

Maybe the first will wise up and get food ahead of time?  The second will get gas ahead of time, because her "feels like" is on target?   Naaaaaah.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 11:46:21 AM »
The helpless pleading with the hapless...

I suppose they don't listen to people like "us" because were, well, so judgemental, yeah know?!   ::)

Ignorance and stupidity is lethal.

"...everyone is pretty much out for themselves it feels like. I feel like we’re not far away from looting."

I feel you are likely doomed.

::smallestviolin::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »

Superstorm Sandy the was most horrible storm to ever hit the Atlantic coast. Superstorm Sandy is only a foreshadowing of similar storms to come.  To secure the safety of Americans along the Atlantic coast it should be declared a weather hazard zone and dedicated as a national monument.  All humans to be vacated and the area allowed to go back to nature; thus insuring the safety of citizens and giving the eastern seaboard a beautiful nature preserve for all to appreciate and love.  We cannot leave our citizens to the whims and caprices of nature.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
The helpless pleading with the hapless...

I suppose they don't listen to people like "us" because were, well, so judgemental, yeah know?!   ::)

Ignorance and stupidity is lethal.

"...everyone is pretty much out for themselves it feels like. I feel like we’re not far away from looting."

I feel you are likely doomed.

::smallestviolin::

::mooning::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:57 AM »
I share a little bit of trap's annoyance.  I know this storm was bad, and even if there were no other factors just the extremely dense population of the northeast would make it -- to quote our illustrious Vice President -- a Big F'n Deal. So I'm not diminishing the very real mess people are dealing with. But there is something about that DC-to-Boston media echo chamber that just irritates much of the rest of the country. The southern Atlantic and Gulf states get pummeled by significantly more intense hurricanes rather often, but it's when one finally strays up to the northeast that it's somehow the planet's worst ever hurricane in history. I lived in Wilmington, NC in the late 90s and we had four hurricanes make direct strikes and two others make glancing hits. On two different occasions one hurricane followed another by only 2 weeks on almost identical tracks.  Heck Floyd's flood waters were still standing in people's yards at Christmas time. There were millions of dead livestock floating in flood waters, and sewage ponds on hog farms all over the eastern part of the state spilled out into the creeks and rivers.

So yeah, hurricanes are dangerous and deadly at worst, and a significant PITA at best. I'm sure people in the Midwest would say the same about their Spring tornadoes, and people in the West would say the same about their forest fires and mudslides and earthquakes. Those things don't become Armageddon just because of a certain zip code.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
I share a little bit of trap's annoyance.  I know this storm was bad, and even if there were no other factors just the extremely dense population of the northeast would make it -- to quote our illustrious Vice President -- a Big F'n Deal. So I'm not diminishing the very real mess people are dealing with. But there is something about that DC-to-Boston media echo chamber that just irritates much of the rest of the country. The southern Atlantic and Gulf states get pummeled by significantly more intense hurricanes rather often, but it's when one finally strays up to the northeast that it's somehow the planet's worst ever hurricane in history. I lived in Wilmington, NC in the late 90s and we had four hurricanes make direct strikes and two others make glancing hits. On two different occasions one hurricane followed another by only 2 weeks on almost identical tracks.  Heck Floyd's flood waters were still standing in people's yards at Christmas time. There were millions of dead livestock floating in flood waters, and sewage ponds on hog farms all over the eastern part of the state spilled out into the creeks and rivers.

So yeah, hurricanes are dangerous and deadly at worst, and a significant PITA at best. I'm sure people in the Midwest would say the same about their Spring tornadoes, and people in the West would say the same about their forest fires and mudslides and earthquakes. Those things don't become Armageddon just because of a certain zip code.

Yup.

The other factor at work is when something happens in the real world (not just fly-over land) it gets a double-dose of hype and importance.  To the large urban areas on our coasts, if a tornado wipes out a town in Kansas its just one of those things and really, it's just a bunch of redneck conservative racists taking a beating anyway, they probably deserve it, heck they may even be too stupid to know they shouldn't live there at all!  Have anything happen on their promised land and all that gets flipped on its head.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
Looters target Coney Island...I guess the cops didn't get the Krugman memo about this storm being a stimulus opportunity...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/looters-target-coney-island-sandy-article-1.1195080

Menawhile in the birthplace of the Chairman of the Board (RatPack) people be gettin' testy, they want supplies and food!

http://news.yahoo.com/tempers-flare-nj-city-where-thousands-stranded-171518266.html

Yeah, way to prepare people.  See what dependency gets ya?  Well, maybe you don't...

You know in my neck of the woods people prepare and help each other out, I guess that's not how things work in the real world...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

Yeah, way to prepare people.  See what dependency gets ya?  Well, maybe you don't...

I suspect part of the problem is these people don't know how to take care of themselves besides the fact they weren't prepared.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

I suspect part of the problem is these people don't know how to take care of themselves besides the fact they weren't prepared.

Species in decline...   ::facepalm::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »
State troopers deployed as tensions boil at gas stations in Sandy's wake

“You see the worst in people at a time like this,” he said.

Funny, it's times like that you see the best of people, in my part of the country.  Must suck to live in a leftist s**tole.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
State troopers deployed as tensions boil at gas stations in Sandy's wake

“You see the worst in people at a time like this,” he said.

Funny, it's times like that you see the best of people, in my part of the country.  Must suck to live in a leftist s**tole.

Yup.

Oh, or as they say in the civilized urban areas "noam sain?"!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
Sandy has provided insight into the rather unique failure of modern electric car technology...apart from its financial inefficiency and industrial disease by products it's a swell deal...but water and lithium batteries don't play nice together -

http://updates.jalopnik.com/post/34669789863/more-than-a-dozen-fisker-karma-hybrids-caught-fire-and

Drown & burn, the new priced-in option for the new-normal eco-tard vehicle!