Author Topic: Tropical Storm Sandy  (Read 13250 times)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: Tropical Storm Sandy
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
I'm surprised that they ddin't plan in advance to have trucks of gasoline ready to send in with all the advance warning that they had. Did they think that the gas stations had enuff gas for their needs? As far as no power, don't they use emergency generators to power the pumps?

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
no one thought to fill up in advance?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
State troopers deployed as tensions boil at gas stations in Sandy's wake

“You see the worst in people at a time like this,” he said.

Funny, it's times like that you see the best of people, in my part of the country.  Must suck to live in a leftist s**tole.

This is a window into just what we've all been discussing here about what's gonna happen in cities and heavily populated towns with a large contingent of the entitlement-minded.  And it's as sickening as I knew it would be; three more days of this and they'll be killing each other over five gallons of gas or a couple of "D" batteries.

They knew the storm was coming -- what with the weather-weenies, the drama queens, forecasting for at least a week previous -- and did nothing to prepare.  One only has to be a half-sentient adult to siddown for a minute and work out, without brain-strain, the eventualities of wide-spread power failures and supply-chain dysfunction after a critical event.  Weisshaupt I understand fully; those people I do not get.  At all.

In other, more personal news, my brother's power came back on last evening -- neither of my parents would leave their cold house to go to his warm one.   ::gaah::   But, their power came on today about 4pm, so I bit down on the ass-chewing I had planned for 'em.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
I'm surprised that they ddin't plan in advance to have trucks of gasoline ready to send in with all the advance warning that they had. Did they think that the gas stations had enuff gas for their needs? As far as no power, don't they use emergency generators to power the pumps?

I expect the larger concerns do have generators, which helps until the gas runs out.  The small stations don't.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

Homes and businesses in the Lower East Side and East Village are still without power and under water. Residents began dumpster diving outside a Key Food supermarket Thursday, looking for whatever food they can take.

Unf'nbelievable.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Sandy-Starved-New-Yorkers-Dumpster-Dive/176839571

Homes and businesses in the Lower East Side and East Village are still without power and under water. Residents began dumpster diving outside a Key Food supermarket Thursday, looking for whatever food they can take.

Unf'nbelievable.

A Republican president would be getting blamed by now.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
I'm reading all these stories and I don't wish to sound insensitive (well......any more than usual  ::) but my give~a~sh*t meter just ain't bangin. They knew it was coming. They knew it would be bad. They were told to prepare or get out.

Last winter we had a "once every 10,000 year" ice/snow storm. Somewhere around 20% of all of our tress were broken off by the weight of the ice. Millions of trees lost. 750k people without power in teen temperatures for 5-6 days. There was 8" of snow on top of a layer of ice that got topped by another inch of ice so even level streets were impassible for the first few days. And flat ground is definitely the exception around here.

I was one of only three neighbors who remained on my little corner of the world after the power went out. It was ever so slightly inconvenient cooking on the woodstove but other than that we survived in grand style. We had a days notice that it might be bad. Call it toot my own horn or whatever but that's what responsible people do.

You will never see my mug on the boob-toob bytchin about how unfair life is or what a sh!tty deal I got. I would be mortified to be some of the droobs I've been seeing.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »

Right on.

How many days was the weatherman incessantly bleating that it would put the upper east coast under water then show the tracking chart, then the satellite images?

You don't have a stocked cupboard or a generator, bucko, What did Kinison say? SAMSONITE!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Large urban areas are essentially human zoos. The inhabitants are completely dependent on the zookeepers providing food and water. Also like caged animals they start to develop neuroses not seen in nature. Ever see a lion pace aimlessly back and forth in a cage?  That is unnatural behavior for a lion. It comes from being captive and unengaged in hunting. I think the same basic thing happens to humans in cities.

I'm sure the "anti-gouging" enforcement will be making a prominent show of itself. When demand is high and supply is low, nothing encourages more suppliers to enter the market quite like threatening them with draconian fines for making a profit on the endeavor.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2012, 10:12:37 PM »
  My family up north was ready to the hilt and even made sure the others were ready and had plans in place as to what to do if one needed help from the others,except my sister she was on her own.

They didn't need it because it went their way and the power never went out,but they did the right thing.Made me very proud of them after last years mess.They came around in a big way,
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
But, but, but...

WIND POWER!

SOLAR!

GREEN ENERGY!

Who needs gasoline anymore? It's so last year.

And besides...carbon footprint...global warming.

Other thoughts:

So...if the rioting starts tomorrow or Saturday will there be enough fight left in the unwashed masses to have a fresh riot on Wednesday when President Downgrade is run out of office? Or will they be all rioted out?

I'm thinking that these pictures from NY and NJ are warming the hearts of the rednecks down south who know how to prepare for and ride out an emergency situation. I'm thinking that there are lots and lots of rednecks who are getting a good laugh at the expense of these city wimps.

There aren't any fist fights or riots where there are a majority of armed citizens. Instead everyone is very polite and helpful in the aftermath of a disaster.

I'm guessing that the cleanup and the restoration of civilization will take twice as long (maybe even three or four times as long) in these densely populated areas as it would take practically anywhere in the south.

Meanwhile we get to watch New Yorkers and NJers eat garbage on live tv.

I love the way that they bitch and moan about the Red Cross on day two of their little disaster. The people who are bitching the loudest are the irresponsible civic leaders who should have had it under control by preparing for the disaster in the first place. Instead they think that their job is to yell really loud on behalf of their cattle. Blacks have civil rights leaders. White NYers have borough presidents. Equally pathetic.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2012, 06:55:32 AM »
Like I said earlier, species in decline, it is what creates what G calls "human zoos".  People KNEW this was coming, yet they didn't do sh*t to help themselves!  The sick, the elderly, people who did prepare and then get preyed upon by escapees from the zoo, I'll have sympathy for them, as for the rest...
 ::mooning::

I saw that union thingy too Pan, this is where libiots make things exponentially worse.  Those folks from Alabama came to help, and you libiots turn them away?  You're citizens should turn on you and rip you apart!

Look at these stories and tell me a Repub POTUS wouldn't be getting SLAUGHTERED by the MFM!

Rationing, lines, pissed off zoo animals fist-fighting and cops drawing guns -

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/11/01/reports-fistfights-guns-gas-stations-shortages-Sandy

Generators for the media and the effing marathon (  ::speechless::   ::whatgives::   ::doublebird:: ) but not for people in need?!  Oh, and marathon crowds displacing the newly homeless from the storm in motels and hotels, isn't that sweet?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/this_is_no_way_to_get_us_up_running_egrMk4ukpzFCGhSF8oM5kN

Looters dressed like ConEd workers -

http://voicerussia.com/radio_broadcast/61124198/93208978.html

Staten Island overwhelmed, Bush would have sent in the Coast Guard, maybe even the navy...Obama just jerks off!

“This is America, not a third world nation. We need food, we need clothing,”

Sorry Jimbo, this is ObamAmerica, he wants it to be a third world nation you moron!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/11/were-going-to-die-staten-island-residents-plead-for-help-3-days-after-sandy/

Dumpster diving, as previously discussed -

A Repub would be dead meat by now...

Oh, and Bloomie should be forced to resign over this marathon debacle!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/02/bloomberg-defends-decision-to-hold-nyc-marathon-as-debate-rages-on/

I guess we can take to calling him Little Nero!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
Heck of a job, Stuttering Clusterfluke.   ::doublebird::

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
Might I suggest that now would be a great time for New York based JournoTrash to mock Mitt Romney for organizing a food drive?

::doublebird::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »
No kidding.  Welcome to the new normal...up is down, wrong is right...   ::gaah::   ::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 12:32:12 PM »
Speaking of the crowds at the gas stations; my brother leases the bay portion (for his auto-repair business) from the owner of a local gas station.  On Tuesday, there were "NO GAS" signs all over the pump portion of the place, but because there was activity in the repair section, people were ignoring the signs, crowding in the lot and demanding gas.

I was trying to talk to him on his cell and we were frequently interrupted by him telling these people, "No, sir; there is no gas -- SEE THE SIGN?", and then they proceeded to abuse him, as though it was his fault.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
Can't these people just scrape off some algae from all the pier pilings that have been washed ashore and cram that into their tanks?  I mean, that's Obongo's solution for the entire nation's energy requirements after all.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
Can't these people just scrape off some algae from all the pier pilings that have been washed ashore and cram that into their tanks?  I mean, that's Obongo's solution for the entire nation's energy requirements after all.

And for that matter....let them eat algae.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

A least pump up their tires.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie