Author Topic: Tropical Storm Sandy  (Read 13223 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Tropical Storm Sandy
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
...there's something called a "propane tree" with multiple hook-ups for different items.

That's useful information. I didn't know such a thing existed, although I suppose it's common sense.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Don't worry. The government money tree will soon be there.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
...there's something called a "propane tree" with multiple hook-ups for different items.

That's useful information. I didn't know such a thing existed, although I suppose it's common sense.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Distribution-Tree-2-Piece/13848693#ProductDetail
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
You had it right earlier G, inmates of the Human Zoo cannot think even one day ahead, they just riot and blame others for their misfortune...which apparently includes the ability to think like a real human being.
Species in decline, led by the Human Zoos and their (cough) caretakers...

::gaah::

This is a sort of long read, but a great explanation of the psychosocial dynamics at work in these human zoos, particularly the ones that are self-conscious efforts at utopianism. It demonstrates that there is a mathematical certainty to the abrupt decline of such societies, even when they continue to have adequate access to food and other resources.

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/42/wiles.php

Excerpt:

How do you design a utopia? In 1972, John B. Calhoun detailed the specifications of his Mortality-Inhibiting Environment for Mice: a practical utopia built in the laboratory. Every aspect of Universe 25—as this particular model was called—was pitched to cater for the well-being of its rodent residents and increase their lifespan. The Universe took the form of a tank, 101 inches square, enclosed by walls 54 inches high. The first 37 inches of wall was structured so the mice could climb up, but they were prevented from escaping by 17 inches of bare wall above. Each wall had sixteen vertical mesh tunnels—call them stairwells—soldered to it. Four horizontal corridors opened off each stairwell, each leading to four nesting boxes. That means 256 boxes in total, each capable of housing fifteen mice. There was abundant clean food, water, and nesting material. The Universe was cleaned every four to eight weeks. There were no predators, the temperature was kept at a steady 68°F, and the mice were a disease-free elite selected from the National Institutes of Health’s breeding colony. Heaven.
So what exactly happened in Universe 25? Past day 315, population growth slowed. More than six hundred mice now lived in Universe 25, constantly rubbing shoulders on their way up and down the stairwells to eat, drink, and sleep. Mice found themselves born into a world that was more crowded every day, and there were far more mice than meaningful social roles. With more and more peers to defend against, males found it difficult and stressful to defend their territory, so they abandoned the activity. Normal social discourse within the mouse community broke down, and with it the ability of mice to form social bonds. The failures and dropouts congregated in large groups in the middle of the enclosure, their listless withdrawal occasionally interrupted by spasms and waves of pointless violence. The victims of these random attacks became attackers. Left on their own in nests subject to invasion, nursing females attacked their own young. Procreation slumped, infant abandonment and mortality soared. Lone females retreated to isolated nesting boxes on penthouse levels. Other males, a group Calhoun termed “the beautiful ones,” never sought sex and never fought—they just ate, slept, and groomed, wrapped in narcissistic introspection. Elsewhere, cannibalism, pansexualism, and violence became endemic. Mouse society had collapsed.
On day 560, a little more than eighteen months into the experiment, the population peaked at 2,200 mice and its growth ceased. A few mice survived past weaning until day six hundred, after which there were few pregnancies and no surviving young. As the population had ceased to regenerate itself, its path to extinction was clear. There would be no recovery, not even after numbers had dwindled back to those of the heady early days of the Universe. The mice had lost the capacity to rebuild their numbers—many of the mice that could still conceive, such as the “beautiful ones” and their secluded singleton female counterparts, had lost the social ability to do so. In a way, the creatures had ceased to be mice long before their death—a “first death,” as Calhoun put it, ruining their spirit and their society as thoroughly as the later “second death” of the physical body.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
OMG, is it bad of me to have read that and laughed my ass off while doing so?!  Maybe its the election result making me sensitive to the data, but damn, this just floored me!

"Mouse society had collapsed"!

::laughonfloor::

So there is a happy ending to manufactured utopia?!

::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »
OMG, is it bad of me to have read that and laughed my ass off while doing so?!  Maybe its the election result making me sensitive to the data, but damn, this just floored me!

"Mouse society had collapsed"!

::laughonfloor::

So there is a happy ending to manufactured utopia?!

::whoohoo::

The only difference I see between the mice and our cities is we pay our mice to re produce.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »

Maybe we should pay them more.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

Maybe we should pay them more.

Govt cheese

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
Reminds me of one of my new favorite sayings:  "Free cheese is found only in mouse traps"
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:43 AM »
Reminds me of one of my new favorite sayings:  "Free cheese is found only in mouse traps"

Problem is after the capture the follow through is lacking...instead of keeping them quartered, fed and alive...

::)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
Howz that Carter styled gas rationing going, b**tches.   ::hysterical::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
Howz that Carter styled gas rationing going, b**tches.   ::hysterical::

They must love it.Bloomberg won't let the national guard in to help because the carry guns.Welcome to the new world order.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »
I've also heard no food can be distributed because the fat content can't be checked. No kidding. Why worry about fat content when half of America have fat, blubber filled heads.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »

Yes Dearie, we understand you're starving to death but we can't go messin up your cholesterol, can we?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »
More dead bodies...very little reporting...Obama gets more free passes...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/more-dead-bodies-discovered-in-sandys-wake-media-yawns/

Being a democrat is gutless and easy...it's all the rage, ya know?!

::puke::   ::mooning::   ::doublebird::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/more-dead-bodies-discovered-in-sandys-wake-media-yawns/

And Napolitano gets the same pass.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »

And Napolitano gets the same pass.

Yeah, almost forgot about her and her merry band of demented bull-dykes!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Gunsmith tells me he saw on piece this morning, on Fox News, about a county/town that recruited former utility workers to break into a power/sub station at their location and they restored the power on their own.  Damned if I can find it, though.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »
Gunsmith tells me he saw on piece this morning, on Fox News, about a county/town that recruited former utility workers to break into a power/sub station at their location and they restored the power on their own.  Damned if I can find it, though.

If true, the punishment will be severe, and not reported by the MFM...hmm, perhaps that is why any story on it is already crushed...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »

What they did was get the info directly to the crews without going through channels which started getting results instantly. So bypassing the government works everytime.
 Filippo Mazzie