Author Topic: replica of HMS Bounty sinks off North Carolina  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
replica of HMS Bounty sinks off North Carolina
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:56:40 AM »
A replica of the infamous HMS Bounty has sunk 90 miles offshore of North Carolina in heavy seas produced by Hurricane Sandy.  14 of the crew were rescued, 2 remain missing.  I have to wonder though, why did they take an unpowered sailing ship out into the Atlantic while a hurricane was churning up the Eastern seaboard?  Haven't they been talking about this storm since it was in the Caribbean and before it even became a hurricane?

Hopefully the two missing will be located.  It seems the ship did at least have canopied life rafts.

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/10/29/coast-guard-monitoring-tall-ship-in-distress-off-north-carolina-with-17-aboard/
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: replica of HMS Bounty sinks off North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
 ::whatgives::

::facepalm::

HMS Darwin?

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
The director of the HMS Bounty Organization, Tracie Simonin, told the Associated Press that the ship left Connecticut last week for St. Petersburg, Fla.

"They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center," she said. "They were trying to make it around the storm."

...at the time of the distress call the ship was taking on two feet of water an hour. Parker said the crew abandoned ship into canopied, rubber life rafts with about 10 feet of water on board.

The ship, which had been taking on water and was without propulsion, is a replica of the one made famous in the 1960 MGM film "Mutiny on the Bounty" and it was used in that film, which starred Marlin Brando. It was also used in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

real life...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
Good thing that the Coast Guard didn't have to ask obama for permission to rescue these 16 souls.  They all would have been lost instead of just 2.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
Good thing that the Coast Guard didn't have to ask obama for permission to rescue these 16 souls.  They all would have been lost instead of just 2.

yep.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
Reports are now that one person is dead.  The missing crewman is probably dead too, unfortunately.  I'm still a bit mystified why they tried to make this trip with a large hurricane off the Eastern seaboard, especially one that was almost unanimously predicted to ride right up the coastline. Perhaps they were worried about it being damaged in port.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:59 AM »
Reports are now that one person is dead.  The missing crewman is probably dead too, unfortunately.  I'm still a bit mystified why they tried to make this trip with a large hurricane off the Eastern seaboard, especially one that was almost unanimously predicted to ride right up the coastline. Perhaps they were worried about it being damaged in port.

That's what I heard on the radio this morning, worried it would have been battered in port, so they tried to slip out the back door and I think head back down Florida way, either the route was poor, poorly timed or just a bad idea (likely all of the above).

Too bad.  Hopefully they find the other fellow, for the sake of the family.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
There were 18 foot seas at the time.  Not monstrous, but pretty bad for an old wooden sailing ship I'm sure.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
There were 18 foot seas at the time.  Not monstrous, but pretty bad for an old wooden sailing ship I'm sure.

Not an easy thing to steer into the wind and take the waves bow first.  Tacking into angry waves with a slow-responding old wooden ship would not be high on my bucket list.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »

http://www.easternyachts.com/bounty/specifications.htm

Good sized vessel; it will be and interesting story, what happened.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »
Ahh, she sported some engines 'neath her skirt then, makes the demise much more curious, sea must have been even more nasty than they thought.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »

Yeah, she lost her rigging and engines, it causes one to question the professionalism of the crew.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »

Yeah, she lost her rigging and engines, it causes one to question the professionalism of the crew.

Wasn't going to go there, I assume they have some experienced people, but in really rough seas even the most experienced sailors can be stressed beyond thier abilities to cope.  I think the better part of valor would have been to stay in port, at least that way perhaps even if damaged, she could have been salvaged, and nobody would have had their life in peril.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »
Water depths in that area are over 2,000 meters so I guess that makes salvaging her pretty much impossible.

- Yours Truly