Author Topic: Dependant on the Government  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Right Wing Nut Job

• Newb
Dependant on the Government
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi, long time listener, first time caller.  I had to post this YouTube video located down below. The first five words really tell the tale.  People like this really do exist.
Hurricane Sandy Survivor Yells At Sen. Schumer: "We're Gonna Die!!"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:02:01 AM by Right Wing Nut Job »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Dependent on the Government
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:35:11 PM »
Who the fck are these people and why are those "the only clothes we have"??  Looks like the neighborhood is relatively intact.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »

Welcome, RWNJ.

Pan, those are the only they have ...on. 
And why prepare when you know it is only
necessary to bleat the correct chant and
then Candy Man will appear.  It's their
religion and they pay obeisance as is
proscribed. Oh, yeah, did you see their
boats; insurance is going to buy them new
ones.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »

Welcome, RWNJ.

Pan, those are the only they have ...on. 
And why prepare when you know it is only
necessary to bleat the correct chant and
then Candy Man will appear.  It's their
religion and they pay obeisance as is
proscribed. Oh, yeah, did you see their
boats; insurance is going to buy them new
ones.

Damnit, CO.  I weep for the poor, despicable and beggared state of so many of our fellow citizens.  I don't excuse them, but I mourn for their weakness of will and corrupt characters.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:13:39 PM »
"I'm down to my last set of tires for my Maserati!"

"We're gonna die I tells ya!"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Welcome, RWNJ.

"When is the government coming" indeed.

It already has its tentacles interwoven in the fiber of your being, lady. Your question is your answer.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:44:51 AM »
Welcome. Welcome, RWNJ!

Thought of the day: Is Hurricane Sandy a harbinger of things to come when society breaks down due to collapse of the U.S. financial system?

If this storm isn't a freakin teachable moment, then nothing is.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

hemm

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »
Good post RWNJ......and yeah:

"when is the government coming?"

certainly reminds one of the quote:

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." B. Franklin.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:16:45 AM »
Welcome. Welcome, RWNJ!

Thought of the day: Is Hurricane Sandy a harbinger of things to come when society breaks down due to collapse of the U.S. financial system?

If this storm isn't a freakin teachable moment, then nothing is.

Oh absolutely.  Look at what happens in pretty much any urban environment when there is even the slightest disruption to order. Things like this can eventually be cleaned up and returned to normal . But what about a far more systemic problem that has no obvious fix? This is definitely a preview.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
What? She didn't get one of dose Obamaphones? The one with the Obama hotline directly to Dear Leader to cry for help.

Was Schumer there ahead of time or did he come down for a photo op?

Since when did we need a politician to come and hold our hand? Folks, this country is in some serious sh*t if people can't fend for themselves on a small scale. It's not like we're being invaded(wait, we are) by a foreign army. We're talking a minor inconvenience. They made no preparations for minor disasters like power outage. Why haven't they planned for this? What are they gonna do when things really get bad?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
What? She didn't get one of dose Obamaphones? The one with the Obama hotline directly to Dear Leader to cry for help.

Was Schumer there ahead of time or did he come down for a photo op?

Since when did we need a politician to come and hold our hand? Folks, this country is in some serious sh*t if people can't fend for themselves on a small scale. It's not like we're being invaded(wait, we are) by a foreign army. We're talking a minor inconvenience. They made no preparations for minor disasters like power outage. Why haven't they planned for this? What are they gonna do when things really get bad?

No "if" about it.  It's as we've been prophesying among ourselves come to fruition on a small scale for demonstration purposes.  It's not like we didn't "know" it was going to happen, but now we know for sure.

There's been folks down here making excuses for those up there, as in, "well, they're not used to such events", to which I say, "bull-oney!"  No difference between a blizzard and flood (unless their houses wash away) if they're not prepared with light/food and to band together.  The only thing I see (and not to say it isn't happening -- the news weasels love the drama queens, not the self-sufficient) is them screeching in unison for rescue.

I have to wonder, as well, about the folks who were still planning on converging for the Marathon, until it was cancelled, in a location that's such a mess.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
The thing that occurs to me Pan is....

How many people in the Sandy-afflicted areas are going to sit down and conduct a soul-searching postmortem on their recent adventures? How many will look at what went wrong and how they individually reacted to it? What worked for them? What do they need to do differently/more/better to defend and protect themselves and their families?

My honest guess is.....not very GD many.

That's where the bulk of my indifference to their plight comes from. Why should I bust my azz to help someone who won't help himself?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

How many people in the Sandy-afflicted areas are going to sit down and conduct a soul-searching postmortem on their recent adventures? How many will look at what went wrong and how they individually reacted to it? What worked for them? What do they need to do differently/more/better to defend and protect themselves and their families?

That's where the bulk of my indifference to their plight comes from. Why should I bust my azz to help someone who won't help himself?

I'd say your guess is right on target; not very GD many.

I've recounted on another thread here somewhere the conversation I had with the friend with only one flashlight who went searching for another just two days before the storm, to no avail; the same friend with whom I've been pleading to stock up/get prepared, and a year later, she's still got but one emergency light for two people and three flours of house.

I repeat this to confess my sense of despair over my failure to move people to act on their own behalf -- and that includes my parents to some extent, and to my brother and his wife.

In fact, my brother learned exactly the wrong lesson.  The day after the storm, because the Shop Rite (grocery store) was open despite no power, he scored a Pyrex stove-top percolator coffee pot, something he should have had on hand already.  Now, his otherwise false presumptions have been validated.

Should their difficulties have become worse or lasted longer, it would be extremely difficult to go get them, what with roads and bridges impassable or gone.

I love them all, but it's clear I need to write them off in this regard.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:36 AM »

And let us not allow the MFM to get off the hook here, their incessant meme of Big Govt/Progressive bullsplatter helps lead people astray and stay mired in the ignorance and stupidity that makes it possible for statist overlords to stay in power and rule over every aspect of daily life for them.  The logical question to ask is "How the fvck is that working out for ya?"!  You would think some people would wake the hell up, but I too expect too few to do so, this is a perfect opportunity to illustrate to people the empowering nature of self-reliance and individualism in overcoming adversity, but there is far too few willing to promote it.  Let Rome burn, all Hail Nero-Obama!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Dependant on the Government
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Most such people, if they even begin to question things at all, end up stuck in a circular thought process where the conclusion is that there simply wasn't enough government. The eternal promises of utopian Big Government would have worked if only those damn Republicans weren't always preventing its full implementation.

People used to also think that when a sick person got markedly worse after a bloodletting the solution was to drain more blood.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Yeah, that cry of not enough et al is a real rip-snorter!  I'll bet dollars to doughnuts those morons don't even know Obama, Pelosi & Reid controlled ALL OF GOVT until 2010!

There is a high price to pay for stupidity, especially if it impacts me and mine.

It will hurt, I promise.

;)

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »
Most such people, if they even begin to question things at all, end up stuck in a circular thought process where the conclusion is that there simply wasn't enough government. The eternal promises of utopian Big Government would have worked if only those damn Republicans weren't always preventing its full implementation.

People used to also think that when a sick person got markedly worse after a bloodletting the solution was to drain more blood.
"The stimulus wasn't large enough", Paul Krugman.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »

"The stimulus wasn't large enough", Paul Krugman.

My fist isn't big enough...wait...yes it is!