Author Topic: Hugh Hewitt holding GOP feet to the fire  (Read 1327 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Hugh Hewitt holding GOP feet to the fire
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »
From WashingtonExaminer....

Just when you think they finally get it

Examiner columnist and talk radio host Hugh Hewitt ruffled feathers Monday by noting that most of the 29 Republican members of the House Appropriations Committee are "content to labor away spending, spending, spending in national obscurity but powerful within the Beltway where their control of trillions of tax dollars makes them very popular indeed."

Understand that Hewitt is nobody's fool when it comes to the ways of Washington, having served as general counsel at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management during the first Bush administration. He's also a constitutional law professor at Chapman University.

What sparked Hewitt, he wrote Monday, was the fact that the GOP majority on the panel "first tried to pass a mere $31 billion in 'cuts' for fiscal 2011 and then upped it to $60 billion and used magical thinking to brand that as compliant with the Pledge to America's promise of at least $100 billion in cuts."

The reality is that, even if the House had approved continuing resolutions that slashed $200 billion from 2011 federal spending, Washington would still have a deficit in excess of $1 trillion.

In other words, the House Appropriations Committee led by Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Ky., has talked and promised a lot about cutting federal spending but has hardly put a dent in the biggest annual deficit this nation has ever seen. To be sure, they've only been on the job since January.

Jennifer Hing, the Rogers panel spokeswoman, wasn't pleased by Hewitt's column and told me so in an email. She pointed out that "all of the Republican members of the Appropriations Committee have both publicly and privately committed to significantly reducing spending."

Hing also claimed the lower spending cut figure Hewitt pointed to was actually produced by the House Budget Committee, not the Rogers panel, and she added that "our members have voted in lockstep with Republican leadership on virtually all spending votes and have consistently voted to reduce, not increase, spending."

When I asked Hewitt for a response, he reiterated his dismay with "the unwillingness of the Republican appropriators to cut fast and deep," and added that "it is nothing short of astonishing that Ms. Hing is attempting to argue that the two extensions of the CR passed thus far have not been massive exercises in deficit spending. Of course they are."

In one sense, Hing and Hewitt are both right. The House GOP did vote to cut federal spending $61 billion this year, but that vote came on a continuing resolution that preserves overall outlays with a $1.1 trillion deficit. That means the House GOP voted to make only token spending cuts, even if they are, as Hing pointed out, the "largest discretionary spending cut in the history of Congress."

Here's the problem that Hing and too many House Republicans still don't seem to understand: When the deficit is more than a trillion dollars a year, comparatively modest spending cuts are nothing to boast about. They might as well be shooting BBs at a charging elephant.

At least one GOP member of the Rogers panel understands this reality. Rep. Jack Kingston of Georgia told Hewitt on his radio show this week that "right now, frankly, in my opinion, we're not cutting anything serious. It's earmark money, it's duplication money."

I suspect that what really grinds Hewitt's critics is his observation that "in this age of new media, instant messaging and Twitter, Tea Party activists across the country have already figured out their No. 1 opponents are not Democrats but GOP appropriators."

Hewitt predicts Tea Party primary challengers for many incumbent GOP appropriators, and Tea Party support for Democrats who challenge those who survive such opposition. In other words, the appropriators have a choice: Lose the BBs and start cutting federal spending big-time, or face defeat next year.

Or to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, the prospect of being hung in the morning ought wonderfully to focus the GOP appropriator's mind. But will it before it's too late?

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Hugh Hewitt holding GOP feet to the fire
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:13:59 AM »
"Lose the BBs and start cutting federal spending big-time, or face defeat next year."

Yup, and watch The Butthead and other Ruling Class pukes rail against We the People for being so short-sighted and single-issue-oriented if we dare try to purge the cowards from our ranks!

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »

Maybe if they read their mail or listened at town meeting they wouldn't be surprised.
Maybe it's not that it's that they don't know it's that they are angry that it's codified.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
Remember when the Carrot Face himself observed that "The American people have given us a second chance. There won't be a third."?

I know some think it's cutting off a nose to spite the face, but personally I've just seen one dagger too many planted in the backs of grassroots conservatives by this pathetic party. No, I don't know what the alternative is either. But I think we've allowed that uncertainty to stop further debate for quite long enough.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
Once I call strike three, don't bother waiting for a fourth!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way

but every year when my husband and I make a new budget we start with a clean sheet of paper

first we list the givens then looking at the money that's left we decide if we should add any more spending

we don't start with last years budget and then decide if we can cut anything -- doing it that way is hard because everything looks indispensible
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »

Y'all obviously aren't Democrats.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »

Y'all obviously aren't Democrats.

nah, just a "rich" republican dontcha know

::moneyshaker::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=42601
Governors Haley Barbour (R.-Miss.), Bob McDonnell (R.-Va.), and Rick Perry (R.-Tex.) sent a letter to the Democrat and Republican congressional leaders on Tuesday evening calling on them to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment (BBA) to the U.S. Constitution.

“We believe it is time that the federal government be required to live within its means and balance its books every year, just as we are required to do in our respective states,” wrote the three governors in a letter obtained by HUMAN EVENTS.

The governors’ letter was sent to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D.-Nev.), Speaker of the House John Boehner (R.-Ohio), Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnnell (R.-Ky.), and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (R.-Calif.).
In early February, Cornyn organized a conference call with McDonnell, Barbour, Perry, and Goodlatte to get state support for a BBA.  A constitutional amendment requires a two-thirds vote in the House and Senate, so it would require bipartisan support for passage.
Cornyn set this up which makes a good indicator it will go nowhere.

Below: Paul Ryan explains the debt.

Paul Ryan details drivers of debt; Calls for honest leadership and real reform