Author Topic: Please don't "roll up your sleeves" and "get to work"  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Please don't "roll up your sleeves" and "get to work"
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
I am already seeing and hearing variations of this mythologized aspect of the American character, people saying they're just going to have to roll up their sleeves, buckle down, and work harder.

Don't do that.  Please.  That is exactly what the looter class expects of you, because it's what you've always done before.  Government burden is not a new thing, it's just the resiliency of the ambitious producer class has always figured out ways to make things work in spite of it. That's a big part of why the other side has developed this assumption that there is a bottomless pit of Other People's Money to use.

Discretion is the better part of valor.  Busting your ass now to prove a point is only going to help feed Leviathan for a bit longer.  Furthermore it will give the other side something to point to as "see, people are going to work hard regardless".  It's the same argument you hear about instituting price and salary controls in, say, the medical field. They argue that any real doctor (the true Scotsman fallacy) is motivated more by humanitarian imperatives than the desire to be rich, so cutting them off from opportunities to become wealthy won't have any impact on the availability of medical treatment.

Look, we are no longer in a country where there is some shaking of hands after a hard fought contest. We are in spitting in their faces time now. Don't expand your business, don't put in extra hours. Work just enough to supply your immediate needs, and no more. If there is a shortfall, do what they do and go to government with a hand out.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Please don't "roll up your sleeves" and "get to work"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »
Yes, make them choke on their fallacies!

Vegas Employer: Obama Won, So I Fired 22 Employees
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/11/07/vegas-employer-obama-won-so-i-fired-22-employees/

::whoohoo::

Boeing Announces Big Layoffs in Defense Division
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49729998

MOAR!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
I am already seeing and hearing variations of this mythologized aspect of the American character, people saying they're just going to have to roll up their sleeves, buckle down, and work harder.

Even serfs only paid 10% - we are paying 30%+ of our incomes to the various levels of government, and for that I get what?  The use of the roads? Protection?   Its not a good deal anymore, no matter how you slice it. You give them 30% - they demand 35%  - after all  its just a measly 5% .  Then 45% then 50%. The harder you work, the more they take.  If you are going to do that - move to Canada or Austrailia or NZ- at least their "take" is lower.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:14:08 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
Time to down-size as much as possible, people/businesses, and suck as much out of govt as possible...crash the fothermucker!  If this ideology is so kick-ass, let's not fool around, let's get it on!  Raise the debt limit to $100T right now!  Screw work, free sh*t for all, Yes We Can!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:45 PM »

Americans role up their sleeves and get to work for themselves, for their family, for God, and for country; we're in a state of motivation deprivation.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:11:20 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
I never "got to work" for my country.  I don't believe in that; I work for me and mine.  That the country benefited from my work and taxes was incidental, and, in that I wasn't a taker.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I never "got to work" for my country.  I don't believe in that; I work for me and mine.  That the country benefited from my work and taxes was incidental, and, in that I wasn't a taker.

ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

Progressive thought

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »

ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

Progressive thought

Yes.  I never bought into either part of that.  I don't want my country doing anything for me that isn't in the Constitution -- just protect my rights and leave me alone -- and since "my country" has now come to mean the government at all levels, and as such, they work for ME, I owe them nothing.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
Most people think their rights come from the government.

And why not?  They don't have a sense of anything existing beyond themselves.  Nothing supernatural.  Even if one isn't Christian there can be a recognition of something beyond oneself that extends to all humanity in common--certain rights that elevate man above the beasts.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
Damn right I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and get back to work. But my "work" will be in a lot different direction. I'll slowly be pooling my resources and try to achieve the success of Weisshaupt. ::bows::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

We are a nation in covenant therefore every righteous act is a work for our country conversely every ill deed is an act against our country.  The only true problem this nation has is unrighteous behavior and the tolerance of it.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »

Don't do that.  Please.  That is exactly what the looter class expects of you, because it's what you've always done before.  Government burden is not a new thing, it's just the resiliency of the ambitious producer class has always figured out ways to make things work in spite of it. That's a big part of why the other side has developed this assumption that there is a bottomless pit of Other People's Money to use.

Discretion is the better part of valor.  Busting your ass now to prove a point is only going to help feed Leviathan for a bit longer.  Furthermore it will give the other side something to point to as "see, people are going to work hard regardless".  It's the same argument you hear about instituting price and salary controls in, say, the medical field. They argue that any real doctor (the true Scotsman fallacy) is motivated more by humanitarian imperatives than the desire to be rich, so cutting them off from opportunities to become wealthy won't have any impact on the availability of medical treatment.

Look, we are no longer in a country where there is some shaking of hands after a hard fought contest. We are in spitting in their faces time now. Don't expand your business, don't put in extra hours. Work just enough to supply your immediate needs, and no more. If there is a shortfall, do what they do and go to government with a hand out.

Glock, I'm gonna work hard, but I'm positioning my business to do more cash. I think everyone from doctors to zoo keepers will do the same. I'm gonna give gov't the least amount of money I can.

This is difficult for me. I've built and expanded my business thru this hell of an economy and I don't want to give it up.....But I'll be damned if I'm gonna give any more in taxes than I pay today, no matter where the tax rates rise.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

Glock, I'm gonna work hard, but I'm positioning my business to do more cash. I think everyone from doctors to zoo keepers will do the same. I'm gonna give gov't the least amount of money I can.

This is difficult for me. I've built and expanded my business thru this hell of an economy and I don't want to give it up.....But I'll be damned if I'm gonna give any more in taxes than I pay today, no matter where the tax rates rise.

Give a cash discount, you'll do fine.  I wish more 'round here would do the same.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »

I am of a like mind. I, too, built my business only to watch it wither and nearly die in the last four years. It has been on life support since 2009. I have been holding out for this election with the thought that I can rebuild once the SCOAMF is gone...once the threat of O'BongoCare is gone or at least severely lessened.

That dream is now over.

I don't think that I can hold out for another four years. And even if I did, the damage to the country and the economy is too great to recover in a reasonable amount of time. I have come to accept that it's over for me. I only have another fifteen or (if I stay healthy) twenty years and then I'm done. Not enough time to start over even if the country comes to its senses in four years which I honestly do not have any faith in.

We are now a nation of SCOAMFs. I feel as if I am living in the early days of "Idiocracy" with President Camacho at the levers of power, ruling over a country packed full of morons. Idiocracy was funny when it wasn't real. Not so funny now...more like a documentary...

Anyway...I'm thinking about moving to a mostly cash situation. Keep some of my business revenue legit so as not to arouse suspicion but divert most to cash. And barter...don't forget barter. That's also a powerful tool against the government. So basically I am now resigned to throwing sand in the gears and not getting caught. I'm not going to feed the machine any more than is absolutely necessary. Screw them.

Pretty horrible watching your country self destruct.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 05:36:06 AM »
Damn right I'm gonna roll up my sleeves and get back to work. But my "work" will be in a lot different direction. I'll slowly be pooling my resources and try to achieve the success of Weisshaupt. ::bows::

Not sure what I have is "success" - it sure doesn't feel like it. I am not self-sufficient by any means, and we still have a lot of learnings to go on the green house, control systems and aquaponics before I can consider that effort a reliable supplemental food supply .. I have yet to go through the legal hoops - C-Corporation,  quitting and finding contract or other useful cashed based business employment and the other "get ready for the dole" stuff -- and even when I am there I will always know I could be doing "better" materially if I was willing to give the man his "fare share" - his protection money for allowing me to continue to be prosperous and "standing between me and the mob with the pitchforks - the mob he commands. Michelle also struggles with it, and if there is anyone I might keep working for its her. She still wants to find a location "in town" so the kids can have friends and a social life.  To me that is like wanting to go live in the sewer --every town here - even the Mountain ones, is infested with vermin. Of course, most the liberals up in the mountains are the old, rich, retired type or the ski bums who work the resorts - who will now spend 80-100% of their time high now its legal to grow and possess.  So  I take some comfort that they will die soon under Obamacare (there sure as hell won't be country doctros anymore) or be utter  failures.

If I break my tank of gas rule,  then we might be able to find an urban, super majority are conservative location,  but that means  we are too far away to maintain the greenhouse and my prep here is exposed  to looters and worse.  Bottom line, my hedging has cost us - we should have up and moved to a 5+ acre Agricultural zoned farm in a very conservative state from the first sign of trouble. Now I either have to liquidate the teotwawki place  at a loss  (cause I am never getting my money back out) and start over, or accept the fact that it appears I am now firmly behind enemy lines in regards to the place. . We have the money and resources to buy a good size second place on ag land after the sale of our in-town house - even borrow some more if I am willing to accept a small mortgage. If I want Denver proper that means maybe 2 acres.  If I am willing to look at good farm-able and ranchable mountain valley land, I can afford 5-40 acres depending on how close to a vermin infested town we go.. But having multiple properties causes havoc with the Dole system.  So I have to figure out those rules too ( if my C-corp owns my house and I rent it back from "them" will that work? Do we have to get divorced? etc etc"

Point is, don't be too in awe of my "success" - we are in the same boat as everyone else- trying to figure out what to do next that will allow us to remain sane and have some measure of peace and happiness in our lives. Or at least for Michelle and my kids. For better or for worse, the hatred is getting the better of me. I hate them. I hate them with a passion  that surpasses anything I have ever known.  I don't even feel that twinge of regret and sadness at breaking of communications with my Mother, Father and Sister anymore. I know its not healthy, but hate and anger are going to be a normal part of my life from now on.  If I didn't have responsibilities suicide would probably be a consideration, since my ability to be happy and enjoy my life have become so seriously impaired. Apparently I am one of those animals that, when caged,  sees no purpose in going on.  I get up at 3 am- dreams of govt coming for my kids, for my place, and worry over how I will defend my rights make it impossible to sleep again.  On Tuesday I had to drive down to Denver for a client - worked all day, and drove all of the way beck without even feeling hungry. If Michelle hadn't pushed a plate of food under my chin at 9:30 that night I would have forgotten to eat all day. In my heart , I know the truth. I will never be free again, and I will have to persevere for at least a decade so my kids can reach adulthood, secure in the knowledge that they will never know freedom in their adult lives. Please God. Make me a stone.   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:44:23 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Factoring in age, health, environment, odds...I may not have much more than 25 years left in me before I shed this husk...right now I am still too raw-nerved to think everything through...figure out which way I want to opt out of this desent into Hell...I think we are all struggling with this now, but I don't think we have all that much time to get our poop in a group or events will determine our fate.  All I know for sure is that this stinks beyond imagining, I suspected the nation was capable of great stupidity but actually witnessing it is surreal.  Family, Friends, Faith and Fortitude are all I can think to cling to now.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »

I am of a like mind. I, too, built my business only to watch it wither and nearly die in the last four years. It has been on life support since 2009. I have been holding out for this election with the thought that I can rebuild once the SCOAMF is gone...once the threat of O'BongoCare is gone or at least severely lessened.

That dream is now over.

I don't think that I can hold out for another four years. And even if I did, the damage to the country and the economy is too great to recover in a reasonable amount of time. I have come to accept that it's over for me. I only have another fifteen or (if I stay healthy) twenty years and then I'm done. Not enough time to start over even if the country comes to its senses in four years which I honestly do not have any faith in.

We are now a nation of SCOAMFs. I feel as if I am living in the early days of "Idiocracy" with President Camacho at the levers of power, ruling over a country packed full of morons. Idiocracy was funny when it wasn't real. Not so funny now...more like a documentary...

Anyway...I'm thinking about moving to a mostly cash situation. Keep some of my business revenue legit so as not to arouse suspicion but divert most to cash. And barter...don't forget barter. That's also a powerful tool against the government. So basically I am now resigned to throwing sand in the gears and not getting caught. I'm not going to feed the machine any more than is absolutely necessary. Screw them.

Pretty horrible watching your country self destruct.

Trap, if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion......I don't know what business you are in, but whether the economy is good or bad, families find a way to spend money on their kids, so when investing, I do things which pulls on the heart string of the parent and catches the kids eye, we all want what's best for are kids and frankly, nothing sells to a liberal better than " it's for your children".

I've did it out of necessity over the past 4 years.I used to feel a little guilty, I'd be mindful not to take advantage of someone I knew didn't have the funds......but that is out the window, it is my families self preservation, not theirs. Ill keep my business just in the black, show just enough cash deposits not to draw attention.

Ironically, I guess to ease my guilt, figured after this election I wouldn't need to be so clandestine. Boy was I wrong. Your business may not be suited to go after the " kid vote",  so to speak. Frankly, when I first opened, I had no idea I'd need to find avenues such as this....but it is the nation we live in today.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.