Author Topic: Petraeus resigns over affair  (Read 6203 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:30:08 PM by LadyVirginia »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Petraeus resigns over affair
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
How honorable.   ::)

Now that he's considered a security risk, he resigns?  He should have resigned over the CIA's part in Benghazigate.

Holly Petraeus serves in the Obama administration in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Hoo boy.  That tells me they've both been bought.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
It gets better

He was set to testify before Senate Intell comm next week.

Which I'm seeing on the web that testimony has been cancelled due to his resignation.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
It gets better

He was set to testify before Senate Intell comm next week.

Which I'm seeing on the web that testimony has been cancelled due to his resignation.

Oh.  Ain't that convenient!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
Link to detail about the now-cancelled testimony.

One other thing there caught my attention:

"Now that the Obama administration has succeeded in winning a second term, they are cleaning house. The two figures most linked to the disaster in Benghazi, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Petraeus, are gone."

Did Hillary resign?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Since when does it matter if someone relevant to an investigation is still acting in their official capacity or not?  And yeah, that's a rhetorical question.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
DID HILLARY CLINTON RESIGN?!

And if not, why is her being "gone" written in the same context as Patraeus' being "gone"?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »
An email I received from someone about this states that Hillary says she will not serve another term.  I am looking for confirmation.

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
http://www.lawyerherald.com/articles/2389/20121107/hilary-clinton-secretary-state-resigns-despite-obama.htm

The once rival of President Barrack Obama in the 2008 elections and current Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton, says that despite Tuesday night's victory, she plans to resign from a post as Secretary of State.

State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland told The International News, "I don't think the secretary's plans have changed...You've heard her say many times that she intends to see through a transition of a successor and then she will go back to private life and enjoy some rest, and think and write and all those things," adding that "She seems pretty set in her plans."

Like Us on Facebook

Recently, Clinton announced that she took full responsibility for the terrorist attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi, Libya, in which the U.S. Ambassador to Libya - Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed.

Clinton leaves the office with a 70 percent bipartisan job-approval ratings according to the Wall Street Journal. There is still no clue released as to whom President Obama plans to appoint as Secretary of State during his second term.

But some suspect that 65-year-old Clinton might run for presidency in 2016, a supposition Clinton brushes off.

Obama will be inaugurated into office in January, which is when he will appoint the rest of his cabinet members, including his Secretary of State. His nominations would then need the approval of the Senate.

Clinton is married to former U.S. president Bill Clinton, after which she served as U.S. Senator from New York. In 2008, she ran against Obama as the democratic candidate for presidency. After losing the race she was appointed by Obama as Secretary of State to his cabinet that election year.

- Yours Truly

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
I heard Sen Kerry wants her job.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
I found one too, Glock --

"Hillary Clinton still intends to step down as secretary of state. That will take place likely "days" after President Barack Obama's second inauguration in January.

"The Secretary has been honored to serve as President Obama's Secretary of State, and has loved every minute of leading this Department and being part of the State family," a Clintons spokesman says in an email. "But yes, you can confirm yet again that she's been clear about her intention to leave after the first term."

When asked for clarification on what date Clinton would stepdown, the spokesman, Philippe Reines, says, "She has said that she wants to ensure continuity, and realizes the confirmation of her successor might take a period of days beyond that.""

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »
It's bout time that Petraeus resigned over that Benghazi affair.

Wait. You mean an extra-marital affair? WTF?

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »

It's the Chicago way.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
Maybe he plans on coming clean about Benghazi, and knew that having this hanging over his head compromised his ability to do it?

Coming clean about Benghazi and subsequently having your integrity destroyed by the revelation of an affair would be materially different than confessing to an affair and subsequently coming clean about Benghazi.

Just one possibility among many. That would be a best-case scenario.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »
Maybe he plans on coming clean about Benghazi, and knew that having this hanging over his head compromised his ability to do it?

Coming clean about Benghazi and subsequently having your integrity destroyed by the revelation of an affair would be materially different than confessing to an affair and subsequently coming clean about Benghazi.

Just one possibility among many. That would be a best-case scenario.

If that's it I'd recommend the General employ a food tester and a body guard.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
The Breitbart link sez he won't be testifying at all.

hemm

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
hmmmm......

Strange all that.......... <ON> ::foilhathelicopter::

Considering I once knew a Maj Sinclair that was in the 82d Abn at pretty much the same time that, well ok, the exactly the same time as BG Patraeus........

Timing is everything. or nothing.

You decide.

::foilhathelicopter:: <OFF>

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 09:52:13 PM »
From the New York Times "Ethicist" advice column, dated July 13th, 2012

MY WIFE’S LOVER

My wife is having an affair with a government executive. His role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership. (This might seem hyperbolic, but it is not an exaggeration.) I have met with him on several occasions, and he has been gracious. (I doubt if he is aware of my knowledge.) I have watched the affair intensify over the last year, and I have also benefited from his generosity. He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person for the job. I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort. My issue: Should I acknowledge this affair and finally force closure? Should I suffer in silence for the next year or two for a project I feel must succeed? Should I be “true to my heart” and walk away from the entire miserable situation and put the episode behind me? NAME WITHHELD

Don’t expose the affair in any high-profile way. It would be different if this man’s project was promoting some (contextually hypocritical) family-values platform, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The only motive for exposing the relationship would be to humiliate him and your wife, and that’s never a good reason for doing anything. This is between you and your spouse. You should tell her you want to separate, just as you would if she were sleeping with the mailman. The idea of “suffering in silence” for the good of the project is illogical. How would the quiet divorce of this man’s mistress hurt an international leadership initiative? He’d probably be relieved.

The fact that you’re willing to accept your wife’s infidelity for some greater political good is beyond honorable. In fact, it’s so over-the-top honorable that I’m not sure I believe your motives are real. Part of me wonders why you’re even posing this question, particularly in a column that is printed in The New York Times.

Your dilemma is intriguing, but I don’t see how it’s ambiguous. Your wife is having an affair with a person you happen to respect. Why would that last detail change the way you respond to her cheating? Do you admire this man so much that you haven’t asked your wife why she keeps having sex with him? I halfway suspect you’re writing this letter because you want specific people to read this column and deduce who is involved and what’s really going on behind closed doors (without actually addressing the conflict in person). That’s not ethical, either.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Shyt reads like a cheap dime-store novel...we literally cannot make shyt up fast enough to keep pace with this Regime...

Benghazigate investigations are likely toast, if they can't get Ge. Ham to say something the whole thing will disappear down the memory hole...

All the more reason to detatch from these statists...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.