Author Topic: What did you buy for your stockpile  (Read 1935 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
What did you buy for your stockpile
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:26:12 PM »
What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 19, 2010, 5:59pm

I felt that if we had a thread like this that we could report what we bought to put away and save for emergencies. So I'll start

Today I found my local Publix had a sale on Pasta regular and whole wheat.

So I bought 4, 131/2 oz boxes of whole wheat pasta and 8,16oz boxes and got them for $1.39 buy one get one.

I also bought 4 boxes of whole grain muffin mixes at buy on get one.

Into the stash they go.I didn't need any of it but the prices were right for the stash.Re: What did you buy for you hoarding project??
Post by Pandora on Apr 19, 2010, 6:15pm

It's said to buy what you eat, so that's what we do, and just rotate the stuff. Haven't stocked up on anything lately, haven't really been shopping - got other stuff to do right now - but will report soon.

BTW, there was a good sale on 32 oz. boxes of thin spaghetti @ $1.99 last month so I opted for 6 of them.

And we need a new chain-saw; the current one won't keep its chain on.

eta: Could we not call it "hoarding"? That's got kind of a pejorative ring to it. The Mormons stockpile a year's worth of food and it's not referred to as such.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 19, 2010, 6:43pm

There fixed!!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by nolan on Apr 19, 2010, 7:20pm

Pan, have you tried to tension your chain by using the bar-length adjustment screw? I'm not positive that's what it's called but it's an apt description. It's usually located at the base of the bar on the housing or body of the engine compartment, probably a slotted screw-head. You may have to clean oiled-up sawdust to see it.
A few turns and it'll "lengthen" or "shorten" the bar by means of a travelling nut that fits into a slot on the bar. You can see the chain either sag or snug up to the bar as you turn it.
The travelling nut has to be aligned w/ the slot, obviously, and you can see that by taking off the piece that covers the base of the bar and the drive sprocket for the chain.
A replacement bar or chain is another way to go. Cheaper than a whole new saw.
Chains can stretch with use and need tightening now and again. Also, a file or grinder attachment for a Dremmel, etcc, are good to have around.

Or do you know all this? My guess is your handy and know this, so sorry if I gave you Saw 101 info. But I hope it helps.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by Pandora on Apr 19, 2010, 9:14pm

Thanks, nolan; Gunsmith's got a handle on such things and as I've seen him do, repeatedly, what you describe, including trying a new chain, I'd say .... it's time for a new one. The tension just isn't holding. We're looking at a Stihl. Prolly should start a tool thread; don't want to derail JF's food thread, and rightly so.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by Pandora on Apr 19, 2010, 9:15pm

Apr 19, 2010, 6:43pm, johnflorida wrote:
There fixed!!

Thankee kindly. 8-)Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by irondiopriest on Apr 19, 2010, 10:01pm

We have two big rubbermaid's (they're about 2'D X 2'W X 3'L) filled to the brim - one with rice, the other with pinto beans, all portioned into one-day family-sized bags, vacuum-packed.

We also have about 50 cans of Tuna, 50 cans of green beans, and 50 cans of corn, and about 20 large packs of Jack Link's beef jerky. We rotate all of this food (except the jerky) through our regular rotation.

We have a few-week's supply of water purification tablets, as well as a half-dozen emergency filters that will do in a pinch to eliminate Giardia and other bacteria, if you can strain surface, lake, or pond water before running it through the filter - but each filter has a very limited life, so water procurement is our most short-term provision. These methods also do nothing to make water taste good - they are purely emergency measures. That is one reason I was looking into these "Slow Sand" water filtration units. It seems that for about $500, you can turn even the most bacteria and silt-laden surface water into potable water. I just haven't made the move yet.

We have a limited supply of propane (only three grill-sized canisters) and two different types of propane stove. Beyond that, we're burning wood and improvising for cooking heat if the grid goes down.

All of our solutions are short-term, emergency provisions. I'd say we're set up to survive in our home for only 4 to 8 weeks before we'd need to go looking for fuel and water. We could stretch the food out if need be, but it would be awfully boring.
Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by nolan on Apr 19, 2010, 10:13pm

Stretch the food and tighten the belts!
I plan on foraging/bartering/hunting/gathering in a matter of days, well before the need becomes evident. I hope that our stuff will last if we can't find stuff to bring in to meet our needs. I know that'll be tough in the event, but I don't want to wait until I have to.
Water purification is something I need to work on, and I have a Q.
Can store-bought charcoal, for a grill, be used in a home-made make-shift system? I know it'd hafta' be sans lighter fluid or other propellants, but without that, it's the same charcoal in the purpose built systems, right?Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 20, 2010, 6:57am

My clan is configured much like IDP's and we too are looking at better filtration methods. We buy a lot of our bulk food at this place -

http://beprepared.com/default.asp?SID=GO....hcd2=1271763910

We buy super-pails of rice, beans etc, freeze-dried meat, if you have a cool dry place for storage it keeps good quite a while, and as we get near projected expiration dates we rotate in new stuff and cook up what we have.

We also have propane, portable grills, small generators, first aid stuff, etc. and can probably tough it out for 4-5 months though that could vary depending upon the season, as we need to establish a better heating source for the cold months as well as a larger scale water purification system.

But we are a lot closer to our goal than we were a few years ago!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 20, 2010, 8:48am

Apr 20, 2010, 6:57am, libertasinfinitio wrote:
My clan is configured much like IDP's and we too are looking at better filtration methods. We buy a lot of our bulk food at this place -

We buy super-pails of rice, beans etc, freeze-dried meat, if you have a cool dry place for storage it keeps good quite a while, and as we get near projected expiration dates we rotate in new stuff and cook up what we have.

We also have propane, portable grills, small generators, first aid stuff, etc. and can probably tough it out for 4-5 months though that could vary depending upon the season, as we need to establish a better heating source for the cold months as well as a larger scale water purification system.

But we are a lot closer to our goal than we were a few years ago!

I just took a quick peek at the website and they are way out of line with their pricing. A number 10 can of rice for 10.50 is nuts compare to 20 pound bag of rice for less money(not by much but less)as a matter of fact i was looking yesterday at a 20 pound bag for 9 dollars which is a hell of a lot more rice by A most a factor of 4 times.

I looked at a water barrel for over 70 dollars when you could buy barrels used for shipping juice concentrate for 10 to 15 dollars but you have to clean it yourself. All you need is a food grade barrel it doesn't have to be new. Anything used to ship a food product is fine.

If those two examples are ant indication of their pricing they're ripping you off.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by rd on Apr 20, 2010, 3:46pm

Here's the LDS website for survival food. They are the experts... ;) http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/foodpak1.aspxRe: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 20, 2010, 4:46pm

Apr 20, 2010, 3:46pm, rd wrote:
Here's the LDS website for survival food. They are the experts... ;) http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/foodpak1.aspx

Good to see you RD!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by rd on Apr 20, 2010, 4:56pm

Apr 20, 2010, 4:46pm, johnflorida wrote:

Here's the LDS website for survival food. They are the experts... ;) http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/foodpak1.aspx

Good to see you RD!

Hi JF.. [image] I do need to get out more...Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 21, 2010, 7:11am

Apr 20, 2010, 8:48am, johnflorida wrote:

Apr 20, 2010, 6:57am, libertasinfinitio wrote:

But we are a lot closer to our goal than we were a few years ago!

I just took a quick peek at the website and they are way out of line with their pricing. A number 10 can of rice for 10.50 is nuts compare to 20 pound bag of rice for less money(not by much but less)as a matter of fact i was looking yesterday at a 20 pound bag for 9 dollars which is a hell of a lot more rice by A most a factor of 4 times.

I looked at a water barrel for over 70 dollars when you could buy barrels used for shipping juice concentrate for 10 to 15 dollars but you have to clean it yourself. All you need is a food grade barrel it doesn't have to be new. Anything used to ship a food product is fine.

If those two examples are ant indication of their pricing they're ripping you off.

We don't buy #10 cans of rice, we get the super-pails, not sure the weight on a #10 can, but the per ppound cost on the super-pail is like around $1.13, compared to the $1.75 for the pails on RD's LDS site. We don't mess with water containers or anything either, still working on a filtration system. We just load up on bulk and so far haven't found cheaper prices on the super-pails anywhere else. If ya got ideas let me know!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 21, 2010, 8:33am

Apr 21, 2010, 7:11am, libertasinfinitio wrote:

Apr 20, 2010, 8:48am, johnflorida wrote:

ETA: Just as an example, I needed rechargeable batteries for my solar out door lights. So off to Sam's I go and they had an 8 pack of AA and it also had 2 AAA in the package. Price $19.47

Next Door(and I mean next door)I went into Walmart they had a displat with Rayocacs(same brand) which were 8 for 13.47(they seem to like that .47 at the end of prices)But he didn't have any.

The young man went on some hand held machine to check if they had any on order and to see if any other stores in the area had any.

They had none coming but a store that is a 13 minute drive threw town had 3 packages in stock. I had him call the held them for me and off I go.

I get ther and the same Rayovacs same package was a normal price of $10.00 and on sale for $7.00.

Do the math I saved $36.00+ dollars.

If those two examples are ant indication of their pricing they're ripping you off.

We don't buy #10 cans of rice, we get the super-pails, not sure the weight on a #10 can, but the per pound cost on the super-pail is like around $1.13, compared to the $1.75 for the pails on RD's LDS site. We don't mess with water containers or anything either, still working on a filtration system. We just load up on bulk and so far haven't found cheaper prices on the super-pails anywhere else. If ya got ideas let me know!

I'm going out today and I'll stop at a local membership store and get current prices on rice just so we can compare apples to apples. But I can tell you this I saw 20 pound bags of rice for 9 dollars which breaks down to.45 cents a pound.

And last time I bought it was on sale for 3pounds for a dollar which breaks down to 331/3 cents. Which is a far cry from 1.13 a pound.

My point in all this is that it is buyer be ware.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 21, 2010, 8:57am

Apr 21, 2010, 8:33am, johnflorida wrote:

Apr 21, 2010, 7:11am, libertasinfinitio wrote:

We don't buy #10 cans of rice, we get the super-pails, not sure the weight on a #10 can, but the per pound cost on the super-pail is like around $1.13, compared to the $1.75 for the pails on RD's LDS site. We don't mess with water containers or anything either, still working on a filtration system. We just load up on bulk and so far haven't found cheaper prices on the super-pails anywhere else. If ya got ideas let me know!

I'm going out today and I'll stop at a local membership store and get current prices on rice just so we can compare apples to apples. But I can tell you this I saw 20 pound bags of rice for 9 dollars which breaks down to.45 cents a pound.

And last time I bought it was on sale for 3pounds for a dollar which breaks down to 331/3 cents. Which is a far cry from 1.13 a pound.

My point in all this is that it is buyer be ware.

Like a CostCo or Sam's Club?

I'll have a chat with my chief procurement officer...Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 21, 2010, 10:15am

Apr 21, 2010, 8:57am, libertasinfinitio wrote:

Apr 21, 2010, 8:33am, johnflorida wrote:

My point in all this is that it is buyer be ware.

Like a CostCo or Sam's Club?

I'll have a chat with my chief procurement officer...

OK I just got back from Sam's and they had a 50 pound bag of Riceland brand rice for 16.63. And I stopped at one of the local stores that caters to a Hispanic crowd and they had Riceland brand rice for $6.99 for a 20 pound bag.

I prefer to keep an eye out for the smaller bags only because they are easier to handle and store.

That difference is huge from what you'r paying. the same can be done with beans and so on. They(the smaller store) also had chicken leg quarters on sale for $3.99 for 10 pounds.

I don't eat dark meat so I'll wait for the breasts to go on sale since I have some and don't need any right now.

Most of my food shopping is done when I don't need it because that's when you pay the most. I stop in from time to time and follow the adds.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 21, 2010, 11:16am

Thanks, I'll check CostCo up here, can't imagine much differences regionally.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 21, 2010, 9:59pm

Checked with the CPO, apparently if you buy stuff like rice at CostCo or Sam's, then buy mylar liners, kitchen-grade pails and desiccants to extend shelf life we are overpaying about $10/45lbs of grub, so it appears we are willing to accept that as the convenience premium of not going through the added labor. I guess for $10 I can go along with that.

Anybody out there got any good info on filtration systems?

I'm looking at a unit like this -

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.ph....caa51475927abd9

Perhaps others out there have done something already, any feedback is appreciated!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 21, 2010, 10:35pm

Apr 21, 2010, 9:59pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:
Checked with the CPO, apparently if you buy stuff like rice at CostCo or Sam's, then buy mylar liners, kitchen-grade pails and desiccants to extend shelf life we are overpaying about $10/45lbs of grub, so it appears we are willing to accept that as the convenience premium of not going through the added labor. I guess for $10 I can go along with that.

Perhaps others out there have done something already, any feedback is appreciated!

Food grade pails are for nuthin at any donut shop or bakery they get their pie filing in them and have to get rid of them on a regulat basis.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 22, 2010, 12:15pm

Apr 21, 2010, 10:35pm, johnflorida wrote:

Apr 21, 2010, 9:59pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:

Perhaps others out there have done something already, any feedback is appreciated!

Food grade pails are for nuthin at any donut shop or bakery they get their pie filing in them and have to get rid of them on a regulat basis.

You know I like ya JF, ya know that, right?

But I dare say you are the thriftiest dude here! ;D

Nothun' wrong with that! ;)Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 22, 2010, 12:26pm

Apr 22, 2010, 12:15pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:

Apr 21, 2010, 10:35pm, johnflorida wrote:

Food grade pails are for nuthin at any donut shop or bakery they get their pie filing in them and have to get rid of them on a regular basis.

Nothun' wrong with that! ;)

I could be but then I look for stuff nobody seems to be looking for. We forget how much is out there for anybody to take advantage of. If it's there use it.

Remember we may have people here on tight strings giving alternatives may help people come up with their own ideas for their areas.

I also save pool chemical buckets and I put all my chemical fertilizers in them because of their screw on lids and it makes then easy to stack and take less room in the garage.

BTW: I don't use pool chemicals other than acid I have a salt water pool with a chlorine generator.Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by libertasinfinitio on Apr 22, 2010, 12:44pm

Apr 22, 2010, 12:26pm, johnflorida wrote:

Apr 22, 2010, 12:15pm, libertasinfinitio wrote:

Nothun' wrong with that! ;)

I could be but then I look for stuff nobody seems to be looking for. We forget how much is out there for anybody to take advantage of. If it's there use it.

Remember we may have people here on tight strings giving alternatives may help people come up with their own ideas for their areas.

I also save pool chemical buckets and I put all my chemical fertilizers in them because of their screw on lids and it makes then easy to stack and take less room in the garage.

BTW: I don't use pool chemicals other than acid I have a salt water pool with a chlorine generator.

Good point, alternatives are our friend!Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by rocketman on Apr 28, 2010, 10:14am

[image]

That 10% that y'all and Glenn Beck (MILLION$) give to your "church" have made them wealthy beyond words. Who's gonna protect y'all when the interlopers attack with guns a'blazin'?

Too bad the Mormons refuse to share.

<sigh>

Re: What did you buy for your Stockpile!
Post by johnflorida on Apr 28, 2010, 10:30am

Apr 28, 2010, 10:14am, rocketman wrote:

[image]

That 10% that y'all and Glenn Beck (MILLION$) give to your "church" have made them wealthy beyond words. Who's gonna protect y'all when the interlopers attack with guns a'blazin'?

Too bad the Mormons refuse to share.

<sigh>

Nobody excluded weapons.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

Re: What did you buy for your stockpile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »
"We have a limited supply of propane (only three grill-sized canisters) and two different types of propane stove."

HT, Pan: "there's something called a "propane tree" with multiple hook-ups for different items."

Coleman Distribution Tree, 2-Piece, Fits all 20-lb. refillable propane tanks, 30" post allows use of 3 appliances  Online $37.88  There is a similar "Stansport" for $21.00

Coleman 8' Propane Hose,  Attaches to distribution tree, propane tee or bulk adapter, Compatible with Coleman propane appliances  Online $24.88

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: What did you buy for your stockpile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
Sheesh, CO; was that you?

Hey!  Don't beat on the Partzheimer's!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"