Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67651 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2022, 02:52:54 PM »
Everything is shrinking...my triple pack of potato chips isn't what it used to be.

Cracker boxes smaller.

Seen bags of candy and the size of candy bars?  Pathetic!  And the prices!   ::outrage::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2022, 09:33:21 PM »

Btw, 16oz cans went to 14 1/2 a few *years* ago
Same with cans of tuna--from 6oz to now 5oz That's a better than 17% reduction in product while the price keeps rising.  And they're cutting production costs with the smaller (shorter) cans--a win-win for them.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »
How can you be cutting production costs with more packaging and energy to assemble the final product per pound?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »
Indeed, even if they use the cheapest raw materials for packaging...everything has been going up...they cannot be saving...unless its on the labor side...but I don't think smaller/more requires less labor...

Bottom line...less for consumers at more cost...same as everything...

Online Syzygy

« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »
How can you be cutting production costs with more packaging and energy to assemble the final product per pound?
The tuna cans are shorter,  ergo less raw materials used in their production=reduced production costs.   Simple. 

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2022, 04:25:52 PM »
It's still going to be the same process for assembly of the final product.  The can doesn't get any quicker to seal just because the can of tuna is a little thinner.  Thereby more assembly costs for the same amount of final product.

Online Syzygy

« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2022, 08:52:39 PM »
It's still going to be the same process for assembly of the final product.  The can doesn't get any quicker to seal just because the can of tuna is a little thinner.  Thereby more assembly costs for the same amount of final product.
The four factors of production are:
Land (to include natural resources and raw materials)
Labor
Capital,  and
Entrepreneurial ability (business savvy)
(Economics 101)
Reduce the cost of any and you've reduced the cost of production.
 I'm talking about raw materials costs: smaller cans= reduced costs for raw materials.  While the amount saved per can may be a minuscule amount,  it really adds up when you multiply it hundreds of thousands of times.
Just ask Hershey's about their hundreths of an ounce savings on each candy bar. (And just BTW, I was in the supermarket just awhile ago and looked to verify: Hershey's is still listing their candy bar weights by the ounce and hundreths of an ounce,  which produces some really bizarre numbers for a product net weight,  I must say.)
You seem fixated on the "assembly" or processing part of it which would come under the "labor" aspect of production costs (although less so nowadays due to mechanization and robots). 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »
Funny, I signed up for the app/rewards/credit card thing at Kwik Trip(Star in Iowa) and am getting 50c off per gallon for the next year or 200 gallons, whichever comes first.  That's a real thing, battling to get people in the door.

Meanwhile, thanks to 58c in rewards and promos, I filled up for $2.75 yesterday.  :supercool:

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2022, 07:59:22 AM »
I like KT...as far as other options go, they beat the snot out of everybody else...only other place I hit I hit because they have ethanol-free premium.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2022, 08:59:34 AM »
Bought a package of Fig Newtons last week -- $3.50 on sale -- for 20 of them, and they're now about a 2-inch square ..... maybe.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2022, 09:52:49 AM »
The reduction will continue...until there is nothing but bugs and soylent green in the Sovietized (and less populous) late great United States...

::outrage::   ::cussing::   ::angry::

BITS!

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2022, 10:25:01 AM »
Bought a package of Fig Newtons last week -- $3.50 on sale -- for 20 of them, and they're now about a 2-inch square ..... maybe.

Wasn't there an old TV show "brought to you by Fig Newtons"? or was it Lorna Dunes ?
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2022, 12:54:24 PM »

Wasn't there an old TV show "brought to you by Fig Newtons"? or was it Lorna Dunes ?

All that kind of stuff often sponsored tv shows.

And the Lorna Doones have shrunk as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2022, 02:50:53 PM »

All that kind of stuff often sponsored tv shows.

And the Lorna Doones have shrunk as well.

It was Sky King. Nabisco made both Lorna Doones and Fig Newtons.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »
My family has been a loyal consumer of Mott’s Applesauce for as long as I can remember. Most recent container I bought was noticeably liquidy… Still tastes good, but it doesn’t have any consistency. Won’t stand up at all, which is never how it’s been in the past. Without knowing for sure, I can only say that if another container is like this one, then they’ve begun adding water or juice to the product to cut costs.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson