Author Topic: Dooms day Preppers  (Read 3443 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Dooms day Preppers
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »

There was that group on last season who hadn't armed up 'cause they didn't believe in it, although .... they did have one guy who admitted he'd poison those like that twitter lady, so .......When I first started talking to people about prepping a couple-few years ago, many people would tell me, "Jeez; I'm coming to your house if something happens".

The first rule of prepping is don't talk about prepping - at least not with anyone who could easily find you. With that said, there are alliances that need to be made with people you trust. Some were not ready to "go to that level yet" and even made that statement- "I know where to come". I looked them dead in the eye and said "No. You Don't. If you show up you better show up with something more valuable than you to add to the pot.  I am not prepping for anyone but me, and I am not making stone soup.  They are getting more serious now that the election has proven  the course, so maybe it won't be an issue.

The people on that show are  at heart liberals.  They have a psychotic need to be admired and loved by others. They need other people to see what they are doing so they can feed their own ego. Pretend they are still the "cool kids" - In a way my place here being in the open is a form of camouflage. I look like I liberal. Solar, greenhouse etc front and center.  I have worried from day one about the security aspects of this place, but that feeling when we found it was so strong, I have to just trust that it  was right, that God was guiding us, and that this is where we are supposed to be.

As such, the reasons being given MAY be genuine and just the result of tortured liberal logic. F5 tornados? Global Warming.  Sea Level rise? Global Warming (but even in that one he acted like it would happen overnight and everyone would flee the cities in 24 hours..)   

Yep.  I got there sooner rather than later.  It doesn't take many of those kind of comments before you start sharing more circumspectly.

You can drive yourself crazy second-guessing yourself, Weisshaupt.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
Shouldn't that vid title read "The Doris the Dumbass of Prepping"?   ::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
You can drive yourself crazy second-guessing yourself, Weisshaupt.

Too late.  Besides, going insane might be the best way to deal with this at this point.   Its not so much second-guessing as its first-guessing. I have a pile of money I MUST  to do something with or loose it.  Its a good problem to have, but still taxing on me and my mind anyway.  Do I take on a mortgage? Do I buy a bigger place here? Do I buy a bigger place elsewhere?  Do I try to pull up all  the stakes and start all over elsewhere?
Trying to decide what is best for me and my family is killing me. I am hoping work is slow enough today I can wander up to the hill behind us and just sit still looking out at God's creation and pray a while.  Michelle is equally confused, but I get the feeling she would rather me just keep working and cow-tow  to these jerks till the collapse.  And she is probably right that is what is best for her and for  my family. I just don't like it. Like Inara, "she fogs things up."

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me (than a frontal lobotomy)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
Same here, Weisshaupt (except for the fogging up part).
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »

Your greenhouse is valuable to you therefore it is valuable to other prepper minded folk. Look for that person, sell it, and move to Tennessee.  It's beautiful country and by looking at that election map and Don's words you will not have question of your neighbors.  Kindred spirits.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
The people I worry about are those very close to retirement and they have their retirement savings in 401K and IRA.  My parents are in that boat. I am worried about them losing their retirement savings either due to total currency debasement, or outright theft by our rogue government. Either seems an entirely plausible possibility within the next 2 years.

The problem is in convincing them what else to do with that money.  Some sort of real property or useful commodity item seems a better place to put their money than leaving it in any sort of financial instrument.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

The problem is in convincing them what else to do with that money.  Some sort of real property or useful commodity item seems a better place to put their money than leaving it in any sort of financial instrument.

That's the problem, the insecurity.  Put your cash into a .025CD, the cost of maintaining real property is persistent and in the time frame of a retired person quite possibly a negative return.  Put it in some sort of financial instrument where the only investors are computers.  Folks like your parents and those retired who in a sane world would be in OK shape are now on tenterhooks.  Today, everything is high speculation.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
Your greenhouse is valuable to you therefore it is valuable to other prepper minded folk. Look for that person, sell it, and move to Tennessee.  It's beautiful country and by looking at that election map and Don's words you will not have question of your neighbors.  Kindred spirits.

Even among true Conservatives, there are a lot of people unconvinced violence will be required or that a disaster is bearing down upon us.  There are liberals in TN,  just like everywhere else. The Fed is in TN, just like everywhere else.  Also if we all congregate in a state before succession, that just makes it easier to target us for persecution.

I am sure I could sell the place to another prep minded individual - or just a liberal greenie hippie - But it will be a losing proposition. They may value the greenhouse - but not as much as the money we put into it. Same with the solar, with the shed, with the barn..  and that doesn't even take into account the time we have spent.  Even with unlimited funds,  getting a new place up to snuff  to just match what we have would take months, and that is assuming I pay to have it done for me- which I can't afford.  Solar won't work as well in TN, and the climate requires us to learn all new gardening skills.  Doing so would be a huge undertaking, and I have to make sure the payoff makes sense.  Most of the people directly around me are retired conservatives - many are ex -military or police.  We have the hippies too of course... older couples from elsewhere who retired here, or more often, are snow-birds, and the usual assortment of vacation-home types - and a large number of the Obama votes were probably liberals  with two homes deciding they can vote twice.    County is largely conservative/libertarian and with a sparse populations ..  Commissioner etc were GOP and ran unopposed.  Demographically its an older crowd - and as Obamacare kicks in, medical services in rural areas will suffer. Over the long term its hard to predict where the demographics will go. But Long term (more than 10 years) may be irrelevant at this point.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Weisshaupt, you do the best you can and hopefully that experience/knowledge passes to your children.

That's one of the things lacking today-- knowledge passed down through the family.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »

Can you convince them to listen to Ann  Barnhardt's primer?  We are rapidly advancing towards a world where if it isn't in your immediate possession  and you aren't holding a gun, then you don't own it. MF Global is all of the proof you need of that.  Buy 24k gold Chain, sell a few links at a time if and when you need to.  It won't make you money. It WILL ensure you have something.  Food, ammo, and Guns should also be on the list.

My libtard mother has all of her retirement in such accounts. Told me I was a fool for worrying about it- after all, "its never happened before" and "America is Wealthy."  - and really my Conservative step father says the same.  They are immune to math or common sense.  When I cut my mother  off from me and mine,  she even bothered to threaten me with cutting off my inheritance. As if money would buy what my love for her would not, providing I expected there would be any money left. People like my mother and stepdad are going to be everywhere, and blaming people like us.  If a real panic  gets started, and it might now that the election woke up a lot of people, the 401K drain and the cash looking for goods could start the real inflation.  We will have one high GDP year of taxes and Prepper consumption and then it all falls down.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »
surfing through my twitter feed last night I saw one woman who commented that she watched the preppers show so she'd know who to steal from when the time came.  No doubt she thought she was clever in her comment.

I almost replied to her that she better be ready for a gun fight.  But then I figuired I'd get reported for threatening her.

What you're supposed to say is "I heard someone say that some of those preppers are armed and that the smell of patchouli oil makes them crazy"

;)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
This one stopped me in my tracks. that woman could be my sister - and the boy-man could be my nephew. They're the softest-right of the family and own no guns, do Suzy-homemaker stuff but no prepping, and maintain a blissfully-ignorant view of the world.

Hell no - she ain't coming over to my house when the SHTF!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
This one stopped me in my tracks. that woman could be my sister - and the boy-man could be my nephew. They're the softest-right of the family and own no guns, do Suzy-homemaker stuff but no prepping, and maintain a blissfully-ignorant view of the world.

Hell yeah she will, unless you make things clear.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:33 PM »

You can bet on that.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

Done.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »

Even among true Conservatives, there are a lot of people unconvinced violence will be required or that a disaster is bearing down upon us.  There are liberals in TN,  just like everywhere else. The Fed is in TN, just like everywhere else.  Also if we all congregate in a state before succession, that just makes it easier to target us for persecution.

I am sure I could sell the place to another prep minded individual - or just a liberal greenie hippie - But it will be a losing proposition. They may value the greenhouse - but not as much as the money we put into it. Same with the solar, with the shed, with the barn..  and that doesn't even take into account the time we have spent.  Even with unlimited funds,  getting a new place up to snuff  to just match what we have would take months, and that is assuming I pay to have it done for me- which I can't afford.  Solar won't work as well in TN, and the climate requires us to learn all new gardening skills.  Doing so would be a huge undertaking, and I have to make sure the payoff makes sense.  Most of the people directly around me are retired conservatives - many are ex -military or police.  We have the hippies too of course... older couples from elsewhere who retired here, or more often, are snow-birds, and the usual assortment of vacation-home types - and a large number of the Obama votes were probably liberals  with two homes deciding they can vote twice.    County is largely conservative/libertarian and with a sparse populations ..  Commissioner etc were GOP and ran unopposed.  Demographically its an older crowd - and as Obamacare kicks in, medical services in rural areas will suffer. Over the long term its hard to predict where the demographics will go. But Long term (more than 10 years) may be irrelevant at this point.

I love the area I live. We vote 70 percent conservative and I'd appreciate more like minded people to move this way......but ( there is always a but) Weisshaupt is 100 percent correct with his analysis that most either don't understand or don't believe the disaster which awaits.

Case in point. Family gathering. Large group, maybe 40. Not one voted for Obama. The subject of the election comes up and I ask what others are doing to prepare for the implosion. I get a puzzled look. Most do not believe they need to prepare. I told them what I was doing, simple stuff. I get this " look" from the group....you know the facial expressions, as if thier protected lives will not be affected. It seems only my brother and I take this serious. I found myself defending my actions, until I realized it wasn't worth it.

We are not far enough along in the implosion to get their attention. I believe some will come around and it's still better than being surrounded by liberals, but in the heart of one of the most conservative areas in Tennessee, most are in denial, believe it couldn't happen in America. They think their money is safe in banks, thier 401 k is untouchable by an over reaching govt.

Head in the sand mentality.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

We are not far enough along in the implosion to get their attention. I believe some will come around and it's still better than being surrounded by liberals, but in the heart of one of the most conservative areas in Tennessee, most are in denial, believe it couldn't happen in America. They think their money is safe in banks, their 401 k is untouchable by an over reaching govt.

Head in the sand mentality.

And those same people will become as potentially as  bad as liberals when everything is wiped away. Really that is what Obama is depending on- the the desperation he creates will give him the free reign to trample our rights  that FDR had. That beggars are easier to please.  You need other preppers. Others who are awake and understand what now must be done..   As part of that you must accept that  you are going to have to leave some behind.  "The Mule only runs with Five"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
I was thinking at least another couple or a group is almost a necessity.  Most don't have one; where do the others find it?  Some have siblings.

Then I realized we all have a group .... right here.  Too bad we're spread all over the country.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
I was thinking at least another couple or a group is almost a necessity.  Most don't have one; where do the others find it?  Some have siblings.

Then I realized we all have a group .... right here.  Too bad we're spread all over the country.

Aye.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
So everyone should move to Tennessee then.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly