Author Topic: Time to Move On From the GOP?  (Read 18982 times)

RickZ

Re: Time to Move On From the GOP?
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
I have to completely polar views that might keep me voting Republican, for at least awhile longer.

A.  Let the Bush tax cuts expire.  Let the so-called fiscal cliff happen.  Don't proactively raises taxes, just don't stop it.  Give Obama voting America what it voted for, good and hard.  As a bonus the deficit is cut to $700 billion or so.

To keep the pain real, no more extensions to unemployment payments, which is currently 99 weeks (IIRC).  A vote for Owebama = a vote for OwebamaCare = a vote for higher unemployment.

I expect the Stupid Party to go along with an extension, and that is why I won't vote R again, hell I may not vote again.  Why bother?  No one in the R party seems to care about vote fraud.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
Was it time to move on from the GOP when an obvious liar like Clinton was re-elected?
Man, people get so despondent.

I'll bet anything that Obama screws up things so badly that in 2016 the GOP will control everything.

I think the point is, so what? What will the GOP bring to the table that will reverse the course?........

Give them a break. They veered off the small government path for a short time under W.. They've all admitted it and I doubt they'll do it again.

If we each held ourselves to the standard we hold them we'd all be in trouble.

Whaaat?  For a short time?  They are still off the path!  That's twelve years and counting.  Fool me once ....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
Public displays like this doesn't give me any encouragement.

Top Republicans say Romney didn't offer specifics

It's dead, Jim. 

::guillotine::

Bobby Jindal is a "top Republican"?!

Just shoot me now.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
Public displays like this doesn't give me any encouragement.

Top Republicans say Romney didn't offer specifics

It's dead, Jim. 

::guillotine::

Bobby Jindal is a "top Republican"?!

Just shoot me now.

No, we need ya 'Soup, we'll only shoot the guilty!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 11:38:17 AM »
There is no off the path for a short time, not with the GOP. We have to remember that Reagan's 8 years in office were the anomaly, not the norm. The post-Reagan GOP has merely congealed back into its pre-Reagan state. They obfuscated him at every point in his path to the presidency, and only because of his enormous popularity did they have to begrudgingly bite back their disdain once he was in office.

They had control of both houses of Congress and the White House for many years. They not only failed to establish a holding pattern (which is the best you can ever expect out of the GOP) but they proved just how much love they too have for Big Government profligacy. Onto this prepped ground comes the biggest and most divisive demagogue anyone in living memory has seen, who promptly begins 4 years of pouring gasoline onto an already burning economy, and the Stupid Party couldn't beat him?

If this were a football game, the GOP is doing the equivalent of punting on 1st downs. It's fire-the-coach-midseason behavior. To continue the football analogy, at this point we're not playing for the title, we're playing for next year's draft picks (i.e. let this disaster happen and hope we can emerge from it better than we were).
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
This coach should have been fired the first quarter of the first game...

::unknowncomic::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
Was it time to move on from the GOP when an obvious liar like Clinton was re-elected?
Man, people get so despondent.

I'll bet anything that Obama screws up things so badly that in 2016 the GOP will control everything.

I think the point is, so what? What will the GOP bring to the table that will reverse the course?........

Give them a break. They veered off the small government path for a short time under W.. They've all admitted it and I doubt they'll do it again.

I disagree, fundamentally. They've admitted nothing. Their christening of Beohner and McConnell is evidence that they've learned nothing. They scorn the conservative base at every opportunity. They cave in at the most crucial times on the most crucial principles.

Among the very best the GOP has to offer is embodied in Paul Ryan. As the thread-starter noted, even Ryan's budget does not balance until 2040. That is fantasy-land.

From the article:
"The Republican establishment is content with more government, more debt, and more entanglement with our enemies. When called on it, they tell us they are powerless to stem the tide. But the problem is the lack of will and a sense of urgency, not lack of power. It is time to find a new vehicle to lead the cause of limited, fiscally responsible, constitutional government. The Republicans are telling us they are unwilling to be that vehicle. If that is the case, it is time to move on."

Whether "moving on" from the GOP is the correct course of action is debatable, given the current two-party system. But whether the GOP has failed or succeeded in governance, and whether the GOP has the stomach to do what is necessary to correct the course of the nation, is not, in my opinion, debatable. It is a failed party, and is signaling that it intends to double-down on its failure.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
At this point I don't see any alternative to moving on. I think we made an honest effort at trying to work within the party apparatus. For many years the conservative base has been willing to hold its nose and vote for the RINO squishes that are always foisted on us. Yet when we have candidates who aren't RINO insiders, the establishment GOP never reciprocates. Why couldn't they ever "hold their nose" and support conservatives?

In 2010 we gave them one of the biggest wave elections ever seen in the Congress, and all we got for it was Boo Hoo Boehner. They further insulted us by keeping people like Michele Bachmann away from any meaningful committee assignments.  And when she raised very legitimate concerns about connections between the Muslim Brotherhood and our own government, her own party's leadership couldn't wait to chuck her under the bus. I'm sure everyone here can come up with a laundry list of the insults and put asides they have dished out to the people who elected them.

Their failure is now complete. We are going to all live the consequences of it.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
Romney does us another favor by stating obummer won because he promised free stuff. This is bringing out the rinos. Mark them. They must be defeated.

There are very few republicans today I can support. I like Ryan, but even his proposed budget didn't balance intil 2040. I consider that kicking the can down the road.

But I'll admit, after some soul searching, talking to my wife and son, I'm in selfish mode now. While I don't want to see "a deal" to keep us from falling off the financial cliff ( I don't think it possible, but it is a different discussion), but I will accept something that allows me a few years to better prepare financially, to hoard some silver and gold, get ready for the collapse. I think its coming. I want a few more years to be as prepared as I can get.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
One of the comments at the PJ Media article was from Francis Porretto, occasional contributor to our own fine forum here.  I think it captures exactly what many of us are thinking in response to this article's central question.

It’s never been wise to put one’s trust in a political party. They who steer the Republican Party are animated by the desire that animates the kingmakers of any political party: the desire for power and prestige. They to whom these things are the Holy Grail of existence are the least scrupulous, least trustworthy men in the world. We should bend all our efforts to keeping them away from the levers of power…yet as Friedrich Hayek told us in The Road to Serfdom, they’re always the ones who manage to get there. (Read the chapter “Why The Worst Get On Top.”)

The Constitution of the United States was written with the power-tropism of the unscrupulous man in mind. There’s no point in mincing words about it: it has failed us…or we have failed it. In either case, if there’s a path forward, it does not lie in endless optimism about our ability to reform the GOP. It does not lie in the belief that we can take the nation back to its limited-government basis solely through political outreach and electoral action. It certainly does not lie in backing the pursuit of power by the most dangerous men in the nation.

We need a new direction? Of course, Mr. McCarthy. It’s inarguable. But that direction had better bend us away from politics. It had better tend toward improvements individuals and small groups can make without anyone else’s approval or any government’s blessing or support, or it will come to nothing.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
Amen, Francis, the time was breached long ago when we should move past them.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
I don't call that asshat "The Butthead" just because it is funny, it is tragically true.  But no doubt the morons running that party into the ground will continue to listen to The Butthead and not to us.  Screw 'em.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
Have a few minutes, this will cheer you up.

Bill Whittle "Where do we go now?"
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
I don't call that asshat "The Butthead" just because it is funny, it is tragically true.  But no doubt the morons running that party into the ground will continue to listen to The Butthead and not to us.  Screw 'em.

Yes, it is true.  And funny.  I can no longer see his fat face on TV without picturing this:

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 06:58:34 AM »
Damn, I feel sorry for the kids though!   ::unknowncomic::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »
Ahh yes, the kind of bold principled leadership the GOP PTBs have been longing for!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83945.html

::doublebird::  GOP!

CatholicCrusader

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 07:47:43 AM »
Ahh yes, the kind of bold principled leadership the GOP PTBs have been longing for!

And what will happen? They will get voted out.
Thats how things work.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 07:58:41 AM »

And what will happen? They will get voted out.
Thats how things work.

Yes, and replaced with real statist candidates - Dem's.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
Funny thing is, if any of the  ::curtsy4:: ever called for a tax increase that would actually support the spending we have, I would support them.  They're not.  They're just pandering to the stupid.

I have only one promise left to deliver to the Republican Party.  If you think the path to victory is pandering to the stupid, I will not be there.  Period.